Make a donation

Author Topic: can i stop my wheel tramp? WALK kit? or anything else to uprate  (Read 2290 times)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: can i stop my wheel tramp? WALK kit? or anything else to uprate
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:38 pm »
I read somewhere today that reducing rotational mass can help. Reduces a wheels tendency to bounce apparently. That means light weight wheels may help. There are other good reasons to have light weight wheels too, but that's for another thread probably. A wheel that's 4kg lighter may have a positive impact. OZ Alleggerita are my choice at present. I have s3 lower arms With WALK but the front bush is still OE. These arms were bought new so the front bush is new but probably not as effective as the WALK bushing at restraining the arm under heavy load. I'm feeling that I may get it changed for a poly bush of one sort or another shortly.

Interestingly I am also running Goodyear F1's
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:37:27 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 10:24:35 pm »
Mate, I never had a problem with wheel tramp at 300bhp after switching to Bridgestone RE050A fronts.  On the Conti's that were on when I bought the car it would tramp like b'stard.
Did you have your tracking adjusted when you changed? I know grip and loss of grip has a major part to play.

No, just a rubber swap.  Like night and day  :happy2:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Karl_mac_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 11:14:04 pm »
Might not be relevant but in my ST changing to hardrace bushes and vibratechnmounts cure almost all wheel tramp issues. Did have quite a lot of vibration through the gear box though.
VW Golf GTi DSG2.0 TFSI : DSG : BBS LM : Blueflame exhaust : Pipercross Venom Induction : Eibach Springs
VW Lupo1.4l : Automatic : White : Stickers.

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 06:51:38 am »
Might not be relevant but in my ST changing to hardrace bushes and vibratechnmounts cure almost all wheel tramp issues. Did have quite a lot of vibration through the gear box though.
Very relevant!  :happy2:
It confirms the approach to dealing with it works across brands and platforms so the methodology is sound at least.
Interesting point raised about tyres also. Goodyear F1's nay be an excellent all rounder but there are sharper handling tyres with more dry grip available that aren't necessarily track specific.

Gone but not forgotten :-)