Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 Xenon - Rheostat Levelling - Help Required  (Read 3124 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Mk5 Xenon - Rheostat Levelling - Help Required
« on: October 03, 2009, 08:15:31 pm »
Ok Chaps

On my Mk4 I retrofitted R32 Xenons to it, but instead of ignoring the levelling issue managed with (not much effort) found all the available info required to mod the Mk4 Kufatec adaptors and inside the headlamp itself to work of the rheostat.

So I've slowly been getting the parts together for my Xenon Retrofit on My Mk5 Gti and Im at the stage where I need to be investigating this a little more.

What I really need is some wiring diagrams for the Xenon and Normal headlights particularly on the levelling system, I purchased a Haynes Manual which managed to give me an insight and wire colours but no info as to what each wire does.

Its going to be fun as the Xenon levelling motor has 4 wires to it, the halogen only three. So Im trying to figure out what does what, Ive got a Halogen motor coming which might get transplanted and wired directly.

So any info/drawings/advice/links to doing this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning a full how to from start to finish and will certainly try to help other planning the same mod

Cheers Chaps

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Mk5 Xenon - Rheostat Levelling - Help Required
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:33:17 pm »
Have you tried the workshop/technical manuals listed by T_T from the Russian site, as these might have some wiring diagram  :smiley:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:54:31 pm »
Not enough detail unfortunately, as my lights are by AL there may be an opportunity to transplant the 12 quid levelling motors from Halogen to Xenon - theres detail about doing that in TT's links but its more with what wire does what that Im interested in so a formal wiring diagram or a link to one would be great.

Got a PM from a guy over on UK-MKIVS who says that if I wire into the xenon levellers directly they have a habit of burning out, a wiring diagram may just help me figure out why.

Im quickly coming to the conclusion that if it was straightforward there would be more info on it, I did it to my Mk4 and it worked a treat

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:25:41 pm »
surely the 4 wires in the xenons would be can high, can low and 2 for direction up and down???? maybe the halogens cos there not self leveling just need 1 power wire and 2 direction wires? just figuring out which is which i s'pose.

let us know when you get a brain wave

cheers

Darren

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:01:56 am »
Well to get the motor to work you need a ground and a live and a control. Inside the halogen motor itself is some circuitry that depending on the voltage received on the third wire give its a position, there is also a PCB that will no doubt alter the currrent so that for a given voltage the motor can reverse to raise as well as lower.

There is also a mechanical limit switch in there that stops the motor working if it reaches the end of its travel either up or down

SO thats the three wires on the Halogen unit - anybody else have any ideas as to twhat the 4th one does in the HID motor or the elusive wiring diagram?

I'd just be tempted to fit them but as I drive around with roughly 80kg of various brakes parts in my boot Im just gonna get pulled

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 06:03:06 pm »
I don't know for certain, but I'd strongly guess that the 4th wire is a 'signal' wire - the whole automatic leveling system is ECU monitored on Xenons, so if the leveling motor reacts slowly, or gives up the will to live, then it will ping an error on the dash, and store a DTC.

Dont forget that the leveling motors in Xenons are much faster reacting, and also far more precise - than those in halogens.

Does this help?  Food for thought!  :smiley:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~