Make a donation

Author Topic: am i talking rubbish?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
am i talking rubbish?
« on: October 02, 2009, 05:13:21 pm »
does the ECU learn from the way you drive? or learn anything at all from new that would make a difference to how my car drives compared to yours?

IF im not thinking aload of rubbish, would disconnecting my battery for a bit reset this?

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
Re: am i talking rubbish?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:17:05 pm »
It does learn to a degree yes.  Its referred to as 'adaption'

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:32:49 pm »
It does learn to a degree yes.  Its referred to as 'adaption'

Thats what my dealer told me too..

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 05:35:52 pm »
my last car did, and it was noticeable with my MPG. So i might reset it as im not as happy with my average mpg as i should be lol

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 08:10:25 pm »
Try driving around in Manual mode (dsg), and i found mine became more economical, especially as i do more town commuting, oh and use the aircon less  :wink:. Might help too.

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:20:51 pm »
omg i was thinking this today about an 1hr ago !!!! unbelievable !!!

Whats even more stunning... i ask myself the exact same words

does the ECU learn from the way you drive? or learn anything at all from new that would make a difference to how my car drives compared to yours?

I change my driving styles all the time, and sometimes it doesnt give the response i'd like.. i.e  Flooring it a bit... it normally drops a gear and shoots off.... but sometimes after driving really slowly and economically.... floorng it a bit... just keeps it in the same gear.

The best way to look upon it as it adapts to your current drive style i.e agressive driving... normal.. & eco driving
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 08:37:11 pm »
This is how my old car worked, if i drove economically 2days before my trip to Brighton i could get there and most the way back on 1 tank, if it had been a particularity stressful few days then id be chugging into Brighton on fumes lol

But the golf seems different (im aware of the mpg difference due to engine sizes and what not) but im sure i can better my current average haha i have tried it in all modes, i have noticed some difference like 'RICH' said after driving eco it doesn't want to drop a gear and go.

I poss haven't had the car long enough yet, only done 300miles since i picked it up and i reset the counters the day i bought it an my average is 31mpg at mo, that does include some "fun" times lol.

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 08:54:53 pm »
I have been pretty happy with my mpg so far. I have had the car for just under a week now and having had to change my driving style, around town today I was getting 36mpg out of the Gti so I'm pretty chugged so far, been really surprised how Eco it can be dependig on how u drive it.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:22:21 pm »
Definitely noticed this, but knew about it beforehand.

If you drive cautiously and change gear at 2000rpm, when you floor the gas pedal, there's a slower rate of acceleration.

If you drive hard and fast everywhere, the car accelerates faster too.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 12:05:21 pm »
My girlfriend drives my car all week covering about 12 miles a day, then shopping with her mum at the weekend etc and getting in my car after a week of not driving it I notice the difference, its more reserved, changes gear quickly at low revs etc.  After a bit of right foot action it adapts to my driving style becoming more responsive and always wanting to "go", then I park it up, hand over the keys and the cycle starts all over again.

The real test of ecu adapting to your driving style comes after doing a track day, or trip to the ring.  The car turns into a monster on the streets and is almost impossible to drive at 30mph, accelerate smoothly without ripping your head off or reverse without looking like a learner driver struggling with clutch control.

Clever stuff!