Make a donation

Author Topic: Gti is going back (video added)  (Read 7304 times)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Gti is going back (video added)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 06:22:02 pm »
i had the same with mine a few months back and it ticks and rattles loudly when cold, eventually got it sorted under warrenty and was the cam belt. mine is now silent and all i can hear when turning the ignition is the exhaust, just how it should be. good luck getting it sorted  :happy2:

Now thats what i like to hear silent as a whistle, although it would be nice to have a little growl on turnover. I think this could be the problem them. Should a cam belt go after 20k though? or does it not really matter time wise to much?

well, mines been the same since new, so i dont reckon its going to change, in fact im told the reason it does sound a bit 'Diesel' is it uses pretty similar methods to deliver the fuel

Offline RobsCupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 06:25:20 pm »
My Cupra is virtually silent on tickover (except for the exhaust noise) but the idle is not very smooth at all.
MK2 Leon Cupra - Red with a few bits and bobs...!!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 06:51:11 pm »
All 2.0 tfsi's are to some extent clattery, After fresh oil change mine is quieter and also when she warms up ,she gets quiter, off idle shes smooth as.

I really would worry about it, yours doesnt sound anyworse then loads ive heard from forum members cars as various meets etc.

Get the fan looked at though if its not the Aircon unit running :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:56:58 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 06:53:49 pm »
i had the same with mine a few months back and it ticks and rattles loudly when cold, eventually got it sorted under warrenty and was the cam belt. mine is now silent and all i can hear when turning the ignition is the exhaust, just how it should be. good luck getting it sorted  :happy2:

Now thats what i like to hear silent as a whistle, although it would be nice to have a little growl on turnover. I think this could be the problem them. Should a cam belt go after 20k though? or does it not really matter time wise to much?

mine was just under 20k when i bought it and a couple of thousand later i noticed it was very loud especially in the mornings during winter. i aksed a few people before taking it in and it was golfgirls other half gary who said its the cam and to take it in asap so i did and my car was there for a couple of days because they swore it couldnt be the cam at such low milage and thought it was air con then realised the belt was fooked and replaced everything in there. if i left it much longer i could have ruined my engine so its good that you have taken it in lets hope they can find the problem
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 06:56:35 pm »
All 2.0 tfsi's are to some extent clattery, After fresh oil change mine is quieter and also when she warms up ,she gets quiter, off idle shes smooth as.

I really would worry about it, yours doesnt sound anyworse then loads ive heard from forum members cars as various meets etc.

not true because my car is now perfect as it should be i will show you next time i see you! honestly i think anyone with this ticking etc should bug the dealers to fix it as its not right, weather the factory fitted some sh*te cams i dont know but yes its common but not right  :happy2:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 06:59:47 pm »
Yours suffered with the same "Cold Squeek" on the cam roller  as mine. We spoke about at jkm, in which my dealer wont let my car  stand around long enough to hear it from cold. It is on my list of things MUST be looked at before the warranty is up Feb 2010.

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 07:04:34 pm »
deffo get it sorted phylis will be happier i suggest you drive down there very slowly on a cold day and it should still be noisy enough for them to know or if not say to them that the need to leave the car for a while say until the next morning before starting it and then they can asses the noise  :happy2:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 10:07:35 pm »
I am getting paranoid now

my cars always had a sort of loudish growl and folk always think the car has an aftermarket exhaust on when it doesn't. Its that loud i can hear it driving up the road when the missus has it. Stratup is clattery but that the norm. do wish i owuldn't read these noise posts :scared:

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 10:11:19 pm »
my car was too warm to hear the noise but i think when i go to the blackpool meet im going to walk from car to car listening to the belts go round and comparing lol

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 10:27:36 pm »
I don't keep my cars long enough to worry about noises, and never out of warranty - bar the DSG box that rattled in my R32, until it was replaced with new, @ 6 months old!

Ive had 3 x 2.0 TFSI's now and they all sound crap at idle, but they had all had exhaust upgrades and that seems to help dull the noise out!
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline cuzmk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 11:14:52 pm »
The fan on my ed30 sounds the same. thats  why its now at vw getting it replaced with the noisy water pump aswell. along with the timing belt and aux belt all on warranty :happy2:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 06:42:54 pm »
Sounds fine to me. If anything when your cooling fan is running its a little noisier (possibly bearings in the fan motor?). But apart from that, just normal coilpack clicking noises.

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:37 pm »
So a little update for those of you who were following this thread. Hopefully those who have similar problems will find this useful. I had my car booked in at VW this morning and have been asked to leave it for a few days so they can give it a good looking over. Someone mentioned that one of there fans wasn't working and within 10 minutes this was the case on mine. The smaller fan wasn't working which was making the larger fan work harder hence the very loud noise.

He wasn't sure about the diesel like sound on start up and was going to take a better look at it today/tomorrow so fingers crossed he will sort it out.

I'll keep you all updated.

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 01:58:47 pm »
good news dude  :happy2:

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 03:45:06 pm »
Hopefully it'll get sorted. Sometimes when the car is idling, I can barely hear the engine noise!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.