Make a donation

Author Topic: Oh Dear Scottish Independence  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Greigzy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Oh Dear Scottish Independence
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 11:43:12 am »
For me (being Scottish) I do think it's ridiculous and I will be voting no.

I see far too many issues with the changeover within the business industry. The other silly little issues I see are things like delivery charges going over the border and then would buying cars in England then be classed as an import?

Alex salmond has also never really stated what we are getting, so all in all, it seems far too much of a risk (in my opinion)

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 12:28:07 pm »
What tv stations would scotland get? And how would they arrange to have TV broadcast in their new independent country. Obviously they'd not have to pay the ridiculous tv licence.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline wigit

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 12:39:17 pm »
Will be sad to see it happen, lived in Edinburgh for a year and had a great time and what a stunning country

Have they really thought through the costs of this and implementation, some interesting points made here and then you think up and then the exchange rate and commissions if different counties

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 12:53:23 pm »
What tv stations would scotland get? And how would they arrange to have TV broadcast in their new independent country. Obviously they'd not have to pay the ridiculous tv licence.

Alex Salmond's white paper covers this:

We will have the SBC (Scottish Broadcasting Company) and will cover regional stuff like news, Scottish films/series, etc.

Not to worry though, we will still be able to watch programmes like Emmerdale and Eastenders.

These two programmes are mentioned by name in the White Paper! Just emphasises how ridiculous the SNP think. And what they consider important for the country.

Too bad they can't decide what money we'll be using.

Better Together til I die! ;-)

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 01:35:51 pm »
Yeah, but they'll have to buy the programs from BBC, although ITV will be pretty much unchanged I guess. BBC being funded by license fees, they're not going to give programs to another country for nothing. So maybe Scotland will have to set in place their own tv license system to cover the costs?

Not sure how it all works at the moment really, but like you say, it's good that they've got the important stuff sorted out first.  :jumping:

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 04:57:32 pm »
I couldn't really give a monkeys either way.
Scotland will always be a part of England, after all we share common basis, language, financial institutions, etc.

WTF??!? :confused:
I really,really hope that you are joking with that statement.
The United Kingdom is the unity of the kingdoms of England,Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland under the Act of Union 1707.
Britain is the name of the island that we all live on.
Please don't confuse the two.
Scotland is currently part of the UNITED KINGDOM not a part of England.We're not frickin Yorkshire or an off shoot of the bloody lake district.
I like this forum and I understand that the majority of users on here are English or based in England and I have absolutely no problems with that, but it's erronoeus and ill informed posts(which most in this thread have been) like this that really boils my piss.

Where are you getting your facts from?
The inside of a Kinder egg?

The referendum was instigated by the SNP after they got a near majority vote in Scotland in the last general election.It was agreed by all parties that if a referendum were to go ahead,then it would be a decision for Scotland's people.
So far,the SNP have produced a white paper with plenty of pish and wind but nothing of substance.
Salmond has promised an open border with England so folk would still be able to come and go same as presently and I believe that BBC Scotland would still be an entity broadcasting within Scotland as it presently does.How it would be paid for,however,is for the government yet to decide(amongst a whole host of other things).
Sometime after WW2,it was widly accepted by international convention that the seas around the Scottish coast out to a distance of 200 nautical miles would be regarded as under Scottish authority and the seabed as part of Scottish territory.Therefore 98% of oil production is in Scottish waters.
Some say that the oil is nearly tapped out,well,there is a huge reserve under the strata in the west Shetland Atlantic basin...some reports say that this field will yeld as much as the North sea again and will give another 30-50 years of oil production.

Here's a wee story for you,if you want to read it.http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/how-black-gold-was-hijacked-north-sea-oil-and-the-betrayal-of-scotland-518697.html
Also,google "McCrone report" a for more info.

The vote is by no means clear and both the SNP and the tory led coalition government have some serious flaws in thier arguments and the SNP are a talking a good talk and have yet to come up with some solid evidence to back up thier ideas for post independence but the appeal of getting away from the corrupt,self serving,old-boy-network of the Conservative party and the pseudo tory New Labour is gaining popularity.
There is a huge difference in the mindset of Scots and English as well as big cultural differences but my belief is that Scotland could pull it off and go it alone,but it would cost us dear in the first few years if not decades.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:07:13 pm by Bane »

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 06:08:29 pm »
Salmond has promised an open border with England

That's not his decision to make though. He can say that with full confidence from his own side, but how can he be so sure the rest of the Union want the scots having an open border? Maybe it would be better if the scots took their independence and left the rest of the Union to cope without them, because it would certainly mean we could at least start making plans to rebuild Hadrians excellent structure.

Like I said initially, scotland can't just make plans to leave the union without the rest of the Union having a say.

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 06:46:15 pm »
Alex Salmond doesn't come across as having any particular intellect. He does appear to be a slightly rabid nationalist. I would argue that these are not ideal leadership credentials.

The vote will be a no for independence, that is fairly certain.
'07 Red manual

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 06:48:33 pm »
Im an Enlishman living in Scotland.

I am yet to speak to a single Scottish person in favour of this!

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 03:46:33 pm »
Well, looks like the votes were rigged for a big fat NO.  :congrats: I guess all that natural resources recently discovered swayed Westminster's decision at the last minute. I was watching Sky news last night the vote counter was sat there and swapped a pile of yes votes over to no notes.  :sad1:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 03:48:58 pm »
I very very much doubt that is was rigged.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 01:53:50 am »
They stated they were bundled unsorted ballot papers.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 04:47:40 pm »
This isn't some corrupt Middle Eastern country, if you genuinely think it was rigged, you're a moron.

Fact is the polls weren't an accurate representation of what was going to happen - because people were publicly saying Yes, whilst privately intending to vote No. If you start tarring people with an unpatriotic brush for wanting to vote No, then it's no surprise they don't give a true answer when asked their intentions.
Sideways yo!

Offline biffobear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 07:46:13 pm »
And they wonder why we want independance
It would seem illogical or the scots to vote for independence without giving the rest of the UK a chance to have a say. I say the English have a referendum on whether we want the scots to stay as part of the UK or not, and the Welsh and Northern Ireland could also have a say.

That would prove interesting.  :laugh:
[/quote
Salmond has promised an open border with England

That's not his decision to make though. He can say that with full confidence from his own side, but how can he be so sure the rest of the Union want the scots having an open border? Maybe it would be better if the scots took their independence and left the rest of the Union to cope without them, because it would certainly mean we could at least start making plans to rebuild Hadrians excellent structure.

Like I said initially, scotland can't just make plans to leave the union without the rest of the Union having a say.
Yeah, but they'll have to buy the programs from BBC, although ITV will be pretty much unchanged I guess. BBC being funded by license fees, they're not going to give programs to another country for nothing. So maybe Scotland will have to set in place their own tv license system to cover the costs?

Not sure how it all works at the moment really, but like you say, it's good that they've got the important stuff sorted out first.  :jumping:
I hope it will also be Scotland to pay for every union flag in the world to be replaced by the new one without the blue in it.
Someone "reliably" told me that Scotland lays claim to all the Gas and oil off-shore

It's only 94% actually. And running out faster than they'd like, by all accounts.  :laugh:
quote author=Tortaruga link=topic=80041.msg832276#msg832276 date=1393699575]
Alex Salmond doesn't come across as having any particular intellect. He does appear to be a slightly rabid nationalist. I would argue that these are not ideal leadership credentials.

The vote will be a no for independence, that is fairly certain.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 08:03:11 pm »
And they wonder why we want independance

Oh, I was all for independence as well. Just that my opinion wasn't allowed as I'm English.  :P