Make a donation

Author Topic: how do you follow the edition 30 ?????????  (Read 3613 times)

Offline candy turbo

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
how do you follow the edition 30 ?????????
« on: October 04, 2009, 06:57:07 pm »
as some of you may have read , just recently ive had the new car bug ! first i liked the look of the RS focus but the drive was disapointing so next i found a nice s3 in white with all the right bits only to find the recaro s in poor condition , this weekend i ve driven 3 s3 s and to be honest my car in its current state of modification drives better is faster and imo the audi build is not any better than the ed 30 in the dry i would put the ed 30 against it on the twisty bits too , and places want 7- 10 k from me to swap !!!!!!!!  what do i go for  ??????? :confused:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: how do you follow the edition 30 ?????????
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 07:08:13 pm »
In some respects it's not a good time to be buying a used motor, prices are rocketing.  I've read several reports of auction prices exceeding retail money for cars.

Here's an example - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=6737

Dealers will use this opportunity to kick you in the nuts for yours and ask the world for theirs.  IMHO new cars will offer best VFM at the moment.

The S3 has it benefits as does the ED30, I'd say in the dry not a lot in it standard, perhaps with the S3 edging it on traction and cornering, in the wet a different ball game.

Remember the S3 may have 30 or so more horses but it also has a little bit more transmission equipment to turn.

You cannot compare your modded ED30 to an unmodded S3 - You'd mod the S3 as soon as you got it anyway.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:08:38 pm »
like I said in the pm pal, your comparing a modded ED30 with a std S3. Your Ed30 has a couple of grands worth of mods, throw that at an S3 and it really comes to life. Where do you live, if your anywhere near Manchester you can come and have a run in mine :smiley:
And before this turns into a my car is better than yours thread, thats not what I'm saying :happy2:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:09:47 pm »
bugger you beat me to it Stu :laugh:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:26:52 pm »
Your Ed30 has a couple of grands worth of mods, throw that at an S3 and it really comes to life.

Equally you don't need some of the mods you might throw at the ED30 on an S3.  For instance I think the suspension setup on the S3 is excellent.  I don't see any point in wasting money on a Forge DV.  The S3 would have the bigger brakes many ED30 owners strive for.  It'll have the I/C that again many ED30 owners add.

No need for a full Milltek, just the DP and CAT which now includes a torque insert anyway.

Just my two pence.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:28:26 pm »
But in an Ed30 you wouldn't need an uprated Haldex.  :wink:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:29:51 pm »

Ahh but IF you wanted to fit one you could  :jumpmove:
Stu...

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:33:53 pm »

Ahh but IF you wanted to fit one you could  :jumpmove:

Exactly. :booty:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »
cheers gaz and stu i agree with what your saying completely , i do realize that a custom code stage 1 would take the s3 to a different league as it did my ed30 but thats another £500 , gaz if ever i get the chance would love a spin in yours mate

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 09:00:54 pm »
Golf R????

I just didn't get on with the steering feel on my S3, very capable in every other way, and with stage 2, almost unbeatable down a set of twistys, just immense grip. Would I have another, probably, but then maybe regret it again.

Good luck with the descision making.
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 09:20:03 pm »
Looks like Volkswagen are bring out the R line.( just like Audi's S line etc)

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 10:34:49 pm »
i think it ll be the golf r i go for tbh i love the ed 30 and would love the 4wd which equals GOLF R
    i also thought the steering on the s3 was a bit iffy at low speeds but its the electro magnetic thing !!! :driver:
imo if the mk 6 interiour is better than mk5 it will be better than s3

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 10:44:03 pm »
Your Ed30 has a couple of grands worth of mods, throw that at an S3 and it really comes to life.

No need for a full Milltek, just the DP and CAT which now includes a torque insert anyway.

Does the Milltek DP and sports cat adapt straigh to the standard cat-back pipe though Stu, as I was led to believe it didn't?  :confused:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 01:34:58 pm »
No you need a small intermediate pipe.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:37:25 pm by vRStu »
Stu...