Make a donation

Author Topic: MK7 Golf R - Photos from my local VW dealer  (Read 11071 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: MK7 Golf R - Photos from my local VW dealer
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 11:54:54 pm »
RS3 was always less involving than the S3 8P tho... more of a fast capable every day car than a performance hot hatch...

I'd have the Golf over the equivalent A3 anyday... have you been inside both cars?? Mk7 is FAR nicer.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=guphbd8l3onnhr9l1jdj15rk1t&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 12:26:04 am »
RS3 was always less involving than the S3 8P tho... more of a fast capable every day car than a performance hot hatch...

I'd have the Golf over the equivalent A3 anyday... have you been inside both cars?? Mk7 is FAR nicer.

How come?

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2014, 08:53:21 am »
Heavier engine up front and it being a sportback only?

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 12:21:34 pm »
Looking to change the 335i coupe and go back to a hatch this year, been in both the MK7 R and the S3, Golf just isn't a 40k car, you cant even get memory seats, (first world problems!)  and Audi doesn't look special enough.

Had an invite to look at M235i next week, not as practical but had good reports  :happy2:

Neil

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 01:08:33 pm »
The two are not £40k cars. You can pick up brand new cars for less than £28k. You really don't need to spec them with all the crap that people do these days.
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 01:18:14 pm »
I simply cant be seen in a car for less than 40k, I've got my reputation to think off!!   :signLOL:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 03:42:17 pm »
The two are not £40k cars. You can pick up brand new cars for less than £28k. You really don't need to spec them with all the crap that people do these days.

Indeed !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 06:05:29 pm »

Obviously in your humble opinion.. :wink:

However, having owned both, and still own the RS3, I would have to disagree at every level with this.  The RS3 is by far the superior hot hatch, especially now with decent tyres on(F1's) , rather than the horrible and hard con ti's it came with - The handling is so much more responsive now, with less understeer.  I always found the S3 was a better drive after the re-map, the steering just felt better?? Low to mid 4's to 60mph on the RS3 , certainly puts it in some interesting territory.

Ive test driven the new S3, in manual guise, and it seemed miles off the RS3 for performance, but the gearbox can give a similar illusion.  

Back On topic, I like the look of the Mk7 R, however I can't stand the quad exhausts, very overkill in the looks department, and I fear I would miss the 5 pot burble, if I changed, and I have considered it.....  To be fair it's my wife's car, and she's happy in the RS, perfect for the school run......... :grin:  On the subject of options, we love gadgets.  My new kombi has £9K of factory options, then I spent another £6k on it on arrival  :surprised:  But its very special!

I like the interiors on both, we have some Mk7's on my fleet, and as above been in the new S3.  Both interiors work for me :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:08:43 pm by Oli »
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 10:45:35 pm »

Obviously in your humble opinion.. :wink:

However, having owned both, and still own the RS3, I would have to disagree at every level with this.  The RS3 is by far the superior hot hatch, especially now with decent tyres on(F1's) , rather than the horrible and hard con ti's it came with - The handling is so much more responsive now, with less understeer.  I always found the S3 was a better drive after the re-map, the steering just felt better?? Low to mid 4's to 60mph on the RS3 , certainly puts it in some interesting territory.

Ive test driven the new S3, in manual guise, and it seemed miles off the RS3 for performance, but the gearbox can give a similar illusion.  

Back On topic, I like the look of the Mk7 R, however I can't stand the quad exhausts, very overkill in the looks department, and I fear I would miss the 5 pot burble, if I changed, and I have considered it.....  To be fair it's my wife's car, and she's happy in the RS, perfect for the school run......... :grin:  On the subject of options, we love gadgets.  My new kombi has £9K of factory options, then I spent another £6k on it on arrival  :surprised:  But its very special!

I like the interiors on both, we have some Mk7's on my fleet, and as above been in the new S3.  Both interiors work for me :happy2:

Oli, have u mapped your RS3 yet?  Those numbers u quoted are standard I assume?
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 09:48:50 am »
RS3 is not a hot hatch back. It's like £40k+ and is far too nose heavy! i'm not saying it's a bad car but it's not a drivers car,

And of course S3s are going to be slower when an RS3 comes with like 335bhp and an S3 8P comes with about 265...

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 09:49:16 am »
On an unrelated note because I don't want to get into a pissing contest..........and on topic with the thread...

Mk7 R at UD...

Golf Mk7 R by xjay1337, on Flickr

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 09:52:56 am »
RS3 is not a hot hatch back. It's like £40k+ and is far too nose heavy! i'm not saying it's a bad car but it's not a drivers car,

And of course S3s are going to be slower when an RS3 comes with like 335bhp and an S3 8P comes with about 265...

I think he means the new S3 @ 300hp which interestingly enough has the exact same power to weight ratio as the rs3

Have to also agree with the options debate. Sat nav, cruise control, front and rear sensors, heated seats, and hands free is surely all the options one really needs in a car?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 10:04:50 am »
Ahh I see.
Power to weight though doesn't always tell how a car "feels" :)

Options are there for people to add the options that they want haha.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 10:46:19 am »
i agree, the new s3 will handle better, and the rs3 will still be faster in a straightline over 100mph

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=guphbd8l3onnhr9l1jdj15rk1t&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 10:47:39 am »
any drag race vids of the RS3 and 8V S3?