Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Alasdair

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Engine noise
« on: March 01, 2014, 05:18:47 pm »
Hiya finally picked up my ed 30 today things was going well just a few questions

Engine is really noises sounds like a diesel on tick over and under power and drives find oil level is okay. Is this normal?

What's the part number for the iPod lead?

Thanks

Offline Zseth

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • 05 GTI DSG
    • Email
Re: Engine noise
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 08:33:49 pm »
Hi mate, if you look up cam chain, adjuster and tensioner issues it could be the solution to your problem, could also be injectors etc.

A search will give you all the info

Regards

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:44:04 pm »
Hiya finally picked up my ed 30 today things was going well just a few questions

Engine is really noises sounds like a diesel on tick over and under power and drives find oil level is okay. Is this normal?

What's the part number for the iPod lead?

Thanks

iPod lead is 5N0 035 554 B - from the dealer at £50:53 full retail inc vat

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X5n0+035+554&_nkw=5n0+035+554&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Offline Alasdair

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 11:05:54 pm »
Thanks very much ! Can you swindle the chain and tensioner under a warranty policy or not if not how much are you looking at?
Cheers

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 11:44:35 pm »
That diesel noise is pretty common. Some people have spent a lot of money trying to fix it and never got to the bottom of it. Even the new MK7 R and Audi S3 sound like diesels.

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline Gide76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 11:53:10 pm »
I had the tensioner and chain replaced for around £500 and noise has completely gone. Don't get me wrong it's not a silky smooth engine but is now significantly better.

I went from a 2.0 tdi sport sportback and couldn't live with a petrol engine making that noise!

It had got to the point with mine where the noise was intrusive into the cabin. Got a local trusted garage to do it and it was much better. Mechanic had heard of a chain going and taking out the engine and apparently VW helped with/covered the cost!?!?

Could I have left it? I ask myself quite often but at the end of the day I bought the car cheaply so technically not out of money.

Still the mk5 gti whilst a fantastic car in every respect is not proving cheap to run. Just as well it's so bloody good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alasdair

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 08:55:02 am »
Thanks for all the help, I suppose it's my fault in the way, I loved the car and fell in love with the first one I have seen and not driven others to know there is something up.  Going from a focus st to the golf was a big change as I've always had fords so you automatically know what to look for. I suppose it's one of the things I was unaware of. I will have to wait till tomorow and see what can be done
I appreciate all the help! Cheers guys

Offline Zseth

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • 05 GTI DSG
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 09:10:28 am »
Warranty will only cover once there is a failure, not preventative maintenance

Thats with warranty direct anyway

Offline Alasdair

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 11:16:08 am »
Surely it has failed because it's making a noise where a new one does not?

Offline Zseth

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • 05 GTI DSG
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 12:47:11 pm »
Someone can probably shed light but the dealer that sold the car with warranty made a call to find out and they said they will replace if there is a breakdown because of it or something along those lines, they would not replace because it is making noise, silly i know as it would work out cheaper if it didnt break causing further damage

Might be worth a call