Make a donation

Author Topic: Sticky Clutch when 'pressing on'  (Read 9133 times)

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Sticky Clutch when 'pressing on'
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:23:25 am »
Morning chaps,

When pressing on (ie shifting hard through the gears) I have found that the clutch pedal is sticking at the furthest point of travel and is springing back to it's original position slowly. It feels like a hydraulic issue, the clutch itself seems to be operating fine (bite etc) and everything works fine in day to day driving.  Could it be the Master Cylinder ?

Brake fluid was changed 2 months ago.

Car is a 55 plate manual Gti on 20K

Cheers
Ben  :smiley:

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
Re: Sticky Clutch when 'pressing on'
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:52:40 am »
TTT

Me and pov have same issue, we have both had our master cylinders changed but the problem is still there..

Any one else?

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 11:21:59 am »
TTT

Me and pov have same issue, we have both had our master cylinders changed but the problem is still there..

Any one else?

Since I've had this issue... I have had... wait for this...

New clutch
New release Bearing
New Dual Mass Fly Wheel
New Fluids
New Master Cylinder
New Regulator Valve (It's like a round, black, plastic sealed unit attached to the bulkhead which is part of the clutch pipework ... it was squeaking and vibrating when depressing the clutch).

... and guess what, it started doing it again at the weekend. Only when I'm giving it some stick.... but so what... it should still bloody work !!

Apparently there is a return spring on the pedal assembly, which I could be pressing beyond it's limit when changing hard... so this is next up for investigation.

... and to think I discounted DSG because I felt there could be some nasty cost associated with it... the fecking Irony !!

Gonna give it another couple of tries and if I can't get it fully sorted soon... I'm going to flog it... I'm that pissed off.  :fighting:

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • London web design
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:47:34 am »
OMG man thats a shame..

Mine does it after i have had my foot on the break coming to a junction then when i let off the break and go for the clutch it is really week and sticks down untill i pull it back up...

so maybe something to do with the hydraulics or brakes system somwhere.

if it was just a spring surley it would do it all the time?

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:12:20 pm »

if it was just a spring surley it would do it all the time?

... you would of thought so eh ?!

logic is that if I'm banging the clutch down, it could be the force and distance of movement that is making it over-extend its workable movement. To be honest, I'm not convinced either.

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • London web design
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:15:18 pm »
I can replicate the issue every time and if i "bash" down the clutch and do some agressive shifts etc etc the clutch is fine, but its when i put my brakes on then need to use the clutch is where the issue starts...

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:51:52 pm »
I can replicate the issue every time and if i "bash" down the clutch and do some agressive shifts etc etc the clutch is fine, but its when i put my brakes on then need to use the clutch is where the issue starts...

sounds weird... there is no link between clutch and brakes, that I can think of.

... probably due to the length of time that the clutch is depressed when you are stationary

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • London web design
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 01:42:56 pm »

sounds weird... there is no link between clutch and brakes, that I can think of.

... probably due to the length of time that the clutch is depressed when you are stationary

the brakes use the same cylinder as the clutch and same fluid, its all linked in together i thought...

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 02:14:59 pm »
what fluid are you using wayne?
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 02:59:31 pm »
Actually thinking about it I think my clutch has stopped doing it. The other day I really did rip the sh*t out of it and it never did it. When I got my master cylinder changed at first it still did it but got better, then AMD did my brake fluid and it hasn't done it since I think. AMD use uprated fluid but I don't know what exactly

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 03:29:42 pm »
Actually thinking about it I think my clutch has stopped doing it. The other day I really did rip the sh*t out of it and it never did it. When I got my master cylinder changed at first it still did it but got better, then AMD did my brake fluid and it hasn't done it since I think. AMD use uprated fluid but I don't know what exactly

In what situation is yours doing it ?

hmmm... uprated fluids... could be worth a punt

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:43:40 pm »

under numerous and continous WOT situations. Clutch pedal would start to stick to the whilst working up through te gears. Then it would get worse the longer I carried on driving with a WOT. At standstill with clutch depressed you would notice that the biting point of the clutch has changed aswell, really annoying. I don't understand why it's only just what seems to be the 3 of us suffering from this. Does everyone else not drive as hard as us or are we just unlucky? What's mods does your gti have?

I think my clutch first started to play up the day I ran a full stage 2 plus setup, could be heat related? 

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 04:08:24 pm »
i had the exact same problem with my previous Golf GT 170ps
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

VWjon

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 04:11:24 pm »
I had this exact same problem when I had mine. Car has very low mileage and hadnt been used for a couple of weeks. Cured it by pumping the clutch pedal fully down and up for 10 minutes, obviously car parked up and engine switched off. Worked a treat, 10 months later no problems.

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »

under numerous and continous WOT situations. Clutch pedal would start to stick to the whilst working up through te gears. Then it would get worse the longer I carried on driving with a WOT. At standstill with clutch depressed you would notice that the biting point of the clutch has changed aswell, really annoying. I don't understand why it's only just what seems to be the 3 of us suffering from this. Does everyone else not drive as hard as us or are we just unlucky? What's mods does your gti have?

I think my clutch first started to play up the day I ran a full stage 2 plus setup, could be heat related? 

None, totally standard - I've spent all my mod money on trying to resolve this sh*tty issue.... Could be at Stage 2 for the amount of wedge I've so far launched down the drain.

I'm not even going to wash it until it's fixed. That'll serve it right !!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:32:59 pm by MancBen »