Make a donation

Author Topic: Sticky Clutch when 'pressing on'  (Read 9125 times)

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Sticky Clutch when 'pressing on'
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 04:31:03 pm »
i had the exact same problem with my previous Golf GT 170ps

... and what fixed it ? Do tell

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 04:33:35 pm »
This thread is mad, who advised you to swap all those parts just to fix a sticking pedal. Have you taken it to a garage at all Ben.  :smiley:

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 05:00:06 pm »
what fluid are you using wayne?

just had it all re bled using OEM specific fluid, same boiling temp as original i would assume

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 05:04:35 pm »
This thread is mad, who advised you to swap all those parts just to fix a sticking pedal. Have you taken it to a garage at all Ben.  :smiley:

I know, I know... I'd be wonderinging the same thing, if it wasn't actually happening to me.

The story is that it was in VW for some new pads (a few months ago) and I asked them to investigate the issue with the clutch whilst they were at it.
The feedback was that it was the thrust bearing and that VW Uk wouldn't give any financial support to help fix it, even though the car had full VW serice history and was less than 4 year old. I told them to stick it up there arse.
So I got my local guy (Prosport) to sort the Bearing and clutch out.. while the box was dropped it was clear the DMF was shagged, so this was replaced too.
Problem seemed to have gone, but came back.... I took it straight back to the garage to show them the problem 'live'. It was clear that the regulator valve was squeeking and vibrating, so we changed this as it's a sealed unit, when the system was put back there was no pressure from the master cylinder, so this was also changed... and all was good, for a few days, until now.

.... and that's where I'm up to.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 05:06:35 pm »
Actually thinking about it I think my clutch has stopped doing it. The other day I really did rip the sh*t out of it and it never did it. When I got my master cylinder changed at first it still did it but got better, then AMD did my brake fluid and it hasn't done it since I think. AMD use uprated fluid but I don't know what exactly

In what situation is yours doing it ?

hmmm... uprated fluids... could be worth a punt

under numerous and continous WOT situations. Clutch pedal would start to stick to the whilst working up through te gears. Then it would get worse the longer I carried on driving with a WOT. At standstill with clutch depressed you would notice that the biting point of the clutch has changed aswell, really annoying. I don't understand why it's only just what seems to be the 3 of us suffering from this. Does everyone else not drive as hard as us or are we just unlucky? What's mods does your gti have?

I think my clutch first started to play up the day I ran a full stage 2 plus setup, could be heat related? 

None, totally standard - I've spent all my mod money on trying to resolve this sh*tty issue.... Could be at Stage 2 for the amount of wedge I've so far launched down the drain.

I'm not even going to wash it until it's fixed. That'll serve it right !!

Does yours do it when driving normally? Wayne says his does it even when the car is cold! Really odd problem.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 05:08:23 pm »
What about the slave cylinder? Wayne can you pm me rays number please mate.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 05:08:56 pm »
This thread is mad, who advised you to swap all those parts just to fix a sticking pedal. Have you taken it to a garage at all Ben.  :smiley:

I know, I know... I'd be wonderinging the same thing, if it wasn't actually happening to me.

The story is that it was in VW for some new pads (a few months ago) and I asked them to investigate the issue with the clutch whilst they were at it.
The feedback was that it was the thrust bearing and that VW Uk wouldn't give any financial support to help fix it, even though the car had full VW serice history and was less than 4 year old. I told them to stick it up there arse.
So I got my local guy (Prosport) to sort the Bearing and clutch out.. while the box was dropped it was clear the DMF was shagged, so this was replaced too.
Problem seemed to have gone, but came back.... I took it straight back to the garage to show them the problem 'live'. It was clear that the regulator valve was squeeking and vibrating, so we changed this as it's a sealed unit, when the system was put back there was no pressure from the master cylinder, so this was also changed... and all was good, for a few days, until now.

You think VW would have a record of this happening on other cars and have discovered what actually fixes the problem.  :rolleye:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 05:13:09 pm »
This thread is mad, who advised you to swap all those parts just to fix a sticking pedal. Have you taken it to a garage at all Ben.  :smiley:

You think VW would have a record of this happening on other cars and have discovered what actually fixes the problem.  :rolleye:

Dont be silly. VAG UK ie seat uk vw uk etc are useless! If we had such a poor record of being able to fix things in my line of work we would get hung drawn and quartered!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:18:03 pm by Poverty »

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 05:14:52 pm »

Yeah you would have, wouldn't you...  bunch of gimps

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 05:16:56 pm »
Does yours do it when driving normally? Wayne says his does it even when the car is cold! Really odd problem.

It did... but now just when I boot it

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 05:18:11 pm »
mines slightly different, its when i am applying the brakes slowing down for a junction then i need to change down a gear and thats when it goes all soft (the pedal lol) and sticks to the floor..

using the clutch normally with no braking is fine

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 05:19:17 pm »

It did... but now just when I boot it

Weird. Maybe we should email all the good indies like APS, VAGTECH, JKM etc and see if they can help

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 05:21:20 pm »
i had the exact same problem with my previous Golf GT 170ps

... and what fixed it ? Do tell

I didn't, VW couldnt find any problems :stupid:

Sold that car, only had it for around 3 months
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 11:04:29 pm »
so its just affected 4 people? Or are there more to come out of the woodwork?

Offline MancBen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Sticky Clutch when 'pressing on' **UPDATE**
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 11:09:39 am »
Just to let you know... I had the slave cylinder changed. And this has fixed the problem.

Interestingly... it looked like my new DMF was knackered as there was quite a bit of play in it. On consultation with the manufacturer, LUK, it appears that this is well within tolerance (I don't think VW are aware of this, so if they advise you that an new one is required, make sure you double check.... as they're not cheap!!). Apparently, up to 17 degree rotational movement is fine and about 4-5 mm lateral movement is within tolerance.

Great to have it back working again.

Ben  :smiley: