Make a donation

Author Topic: Pad/Polish recommendations  (Read 1427 times)

Offline edewer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Pad/Polish recommendations
« on: February 28, 2014, 11:49:55 am »
Going to be detailing the mk5 soon, but looking for opinions on what pads and polishes.

I have a das-6 which I bought from cleanyourcar with the menzerna pads and 3 grades of polish.

Would these be suitable to give a good level of correction, or are there specific combinations that work well with VW paint. The car is shadow blue by the way.

Any help much appreciated

Offline alexharvey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: Pad/Polish recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:04:52 pm »
alot of people say to use yellow or orange hex logic pads for cutting and white to finsih i think thats with meguiars 105 for cutting and 205 for finsih!

Offline Santaslonecruzer

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 01:05:10 pm »
When I did my mkv I was  worried  about burning through the lacquer so got some low cut  poorboys polish and medium hexlogic pads........it barely touched the paintwork!  I then worked up to an orange hexlogic pad and poorboys ssr2.5 polish. I had to do 2 passes on everything to make a difference. I've now got some menzerna fg500 ready to try. If you've got the menz polish and selection of hexlogic pads, you'll be fine, just take your time.
Mkv GT Tdi 140 Reflex Silver

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 01:27:54 pm »
Menzerna pads don't like being used with DA they will fall apart in minutes.

dansmith180

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:29:34 pm »
I used a microfiber pad with Menzerna FG400 and it took out pretty much all the swirl marks but to move scratches from VAG paint you need a rotary tbh depending on how bad it is obviously.

Offline Attention2Detail

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:36:13 am »
When you say 3 grades of polish are these Menzerna compounds? VAG paint is pretty tough. Correcting with a Das-6 is certainly possible but will take time & love.....Hex logic pads are an excellent pad combined with Menzerna compounds :happy2:

Offline formulaclean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:40:50 am »
cannot beat the new microfibre pads! allot less effort than the foam pads.

http://www.formulaclean.co.uk/flexipads-world-class.php#!/~/product/category=6277398&id=33893364

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 09:43:43 am »
I used a microfiber pad with Menzerna FG400 and it took out pretty much all the swirl marks but to move scratches from VAG paint you need a rotary tbh depending on how bad it is obviously.

you are fine to use a dual action that is what i use.
rotaries are faster very much so but if you're not confident/dont know what you're doing you can easily damage your paint with a rotary.

Offline Attention2Detail

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 11:08:58 am »
DA's are perfectly capable machines if using the correct products & a good technique. Granted the same results can be achieved much faster when using a rotary but shouldn't really be used by someone with no experience as it's far too easy to cause damage. Correcting with a DA can be done but just need a little more time & care....make sure your breaking down and getting the most from the compounds.
There are good steps up from the Das-6 without entering into the world of rotary such as pro spec DAs from the likes of Flex & Rupes. :happy2:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 11:35:13 am »
Exactly ^^^^

I had used rotaries in the past but with limited experience of brands ( only using the silverline one ) and it wasn't really for me.
I use a flex something-or-other and a 3m one quite regularly and they are much nicer to use, lighter, less strain, faster results, but they are harder to use.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:36:56 am by xjay1337 »