Make a donation

Author Topic: Forum Ring Trip Oct 09 - Pic's, Stories and Videos  (Read 38641 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Forum Ring Trip Oct 09 - Pic's, Stories and Videos
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2009, 10:01:07 pm »
^^^^  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Very very well said Nathan  :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2009, 10:18:16 pm »
Please do not slag the ring off  :fighting: u are talking about 13 miles of some of the most stunning and very well respected track in the world  :fighting: its a great place to see all types of cars and drivers there and it does not cost the earth to do it like spa so please dont coment on a track we all know and love  :drinking:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2009, 10:22:59 pm »
^^^^
Mr Hurditch is a natural. Fast but focussed.

I'm well pleased with the alloys and will write my review tomorrow.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2009, 10:51:48 pm »

No, guys, I'm not trashing The Ring as the world famous unique track that it is but I am saying that I think it would be a whole lot better if it was more controlled. Do you honestly not mind full size coaches on The Ring?

Anyway, I am entitled to my preferences whether some of you here agree with me or not. I prefer driving Spa to The Ring but will be going to both whenever possible, particularly as they are so close to each other. I said I preferred Spa and not that I didn't like The Ring so why be so defensive, Nath, Mat, SteveP etc?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2009, 11:06:11 pm »
I think it was more to do with your description of the people who use the Ring that I object to Robin.  :confused:

There are not many cost effective ways to take your car on a marshalled high speed circuit so this will always attract a cross section of people.  :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:32 pm »
the ring is a toll road hence y anyone can go on and drive it for a small fee ie its not like a track day

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2009, 11:29:09 pm »

I think it was more to do with your description of the people who use the Ring that I object to Robin.  :confused:

....But I wasn't saying that everybody who uses The Ring fits my description - Just that there are more than I would personally prefer to see. The crashes and their frequency speak for themselves without further elaboration from me.

There are not many cost effective ways to take your car on a marshalled high speed circuit so this will always attract a cross section of people.  :happy2:

....I don't form my opinions or preferences based on cost effectiveness. Cost effectiveness is entirely down to the individual to decide for themselves.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2009, 12:05:50 am »
I must admit that the 'ring is fantastic and a great iconic place to be, however Spa as a trackday had the edge for me, if you could have all been there too it would have made it perfect.  :smiley:

The fact that the 'ring shuts down for so long after an accident and has so many is mainly due to it's size and lack of run off space. I have no doubt in my mind that there would have been quite a lot of near misses at Spa that would have been accidents if it didn't have the run off spaces and conversely the 'ring would be better if it had the run off space that Spa had. That isn't to say that Spa didn't have any accidents on the day as it did have at least 4 write-off accidents that I can remember on the day we were there.
Golf R gone.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2009, 06:46:44 am »
One just for the Hurd(ring)Meister.....................

:driver:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2009, 06:52:39 am »
^^^^
Personally I prefer Spa to The Ring. I think it's because it's easier to learn and most importantly it's not full of every idiot trying to do a lap time irrespective of what they are driving or their ability. Too many go there for the wrong reasons - IMO.

One of the guys in our group was a very nice chap but a retired London double decker bus driver, was absolutely horrified by Hurdy's driving as a passenger (he is far safer than his reputation might be and is very focussed) and nearly took me out by not using his mirrors on the way there!

Robin, obviously this is your opinion and I cannot argue with that but I find your comment rather bizzare to say the least! You go to the Ring for your first ever track experience and love it! So much so you have it in your sig and buy some 'track focused' alloys. You then do you first ever track day at a more conventional circuit then you rubbish the Ring for everything it stands for?  :confused:

Not everyone can afford a track day at Spa but can afford the odd lap at the Ring. And that is the reason the place has the unique atmosphere it does. On one hand you can have a 120k Porsche and on the other a 20 year old Astra, and for me that is part of the magic of the place.  :smiley:

Don't be too quick to dismiss the place as it has a very special place in many peoples hearts. Yes you get the odd moron there but you do so in all walks of life.  :happy2:

That is the ring.............  The atmosphere, walking up to a chap and talking about his 120k porker, and him being so enthusiastic, and then chatting to the Astra driver who has a grin the size of a Cheshire cat, who has left some some far more track focused machinery in his wake .  Magic! :happy2: :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2009, 10:10:18 am »

That is the ring.............  The atmosphere, walking up to a chap and talking about his 120k porker, and him being so enthusiastic, and then chatting to the Astra driver who has a grin the size of a Cheshire cat, who has left some some far more track focused machinery in his wake .  Magic! :happy2: :happy2:

....Yes, Mr Balloon, that certainly is something which contributes greatly to the atmosphere of The Ring - But this weekend I preferred my day at Spa. I mean this from a driving point-of-view and I agree that the shared enthusiasm with people met in the 'paddock'/carpark is absolutely great - But I find the same happens anywhere where like-minded enthusiasts gather, if you are outgoing and friendly enough - It's just more international and varied at The Ring.

I expect that my next visit to The Nordschleife, from a driving on a circuit pov, will be more enjoyable - Socially I had a very varied and interesting group of people to share time with there with The Nurburgring Experience. My intentions are to combine it with another trackday at Spa if possible - Such a combination is the best of both worlds IMO.

So when are you going to take your car to The Ring?

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:50 am »
the ring is very special and a challenge, you have to keep going back to master it and you know you never will, track days on conventional circuits seem very boring ( hence the mx5 for me to try make them more fun), i understand the coach thing, but to someone lappin fast a 911 can be in the way, there is always someone faster so no a coach does not bother me, as for the accidents, im yet to go on a track day and not see someone crash, just more visable at the ring due to no run off. matter of taste, not just to get a sticker!!!
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2009, 11:20:34 am »

the ring is very special and a challenge, you have to keep going back to master it and you know you never will, track days on conventional circuits seem very boring ( hence the mx5 for me to try make them more fun), i understand the coach thing, but to someone lappin fast a 911 can be in the way, there is always someone faster so no a coach does not bother me, as for the accidents, im yet to go on a track day and not see someone crash, just more visable at the ring due to no run off. matter of taste, not just to get a sticker!!!

....Absolutely! :happy2: - You're only going to 'master' it if you live next door to it and do literally thousands of laps.

As both you and Hurdy are saying: No run-offs at The Ring. Large coaches do bother me. I think the solution would be to have a fixed time for only tourist coaches to go round, but I'd rather see them banned.

As I already said, I like both the Nordschleife and Spa and loving one doesn't mean that one doesn't also love the other! (contrary to how some people here wish to interpret* my posts). Personally I gained a lot of confidence in my car's capabilities from my instructor laps at Spa and that will increase my enjoyment of The Ring next time.

*To quote another member: "you just get the typical over sensitive reactions of some people, who mis read your comment, which is standard when the english language is written and not spoken" - We're all guilty of it - Me included.

^ I don't know what this is but it's very elegant :notworthy:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:27:46 am by RedRobin »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2009, 11:44:42 am »
Weissman  :wink:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93