Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre Direction  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
    • Leicester Wedding Photographers
    • Email
Tyre Direction
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:54:25 pm »
Hey guys,

I bought 4 brand new Uniroyal Rainsport 3 couple of months back and had them fitted at a garage.
I noticed that they have a very distinctive tread pattern and have looked on the internet at the direction they should be facing.

On the left hand side of the car they seem to be facing the right way so that the water would be taken away to the edges should it go over water. Yet on the right hand side of the car the edges would take the water to the middle of the tyre. Basically the right hand side is facing the opposite way to the left.

However all 4 tyres say 'outside' on them and the word 'outside' is facing the outside on all of them. I'm getting confused even just writing this.

How has this happened? Surely they should all be facing the correct direction? If I bought 4 identical tyres and they all said 'outside' on the same side then 2 are always going to be backwards?

SORRY ABOUT THE DRAWING LOL

Cheers
Craigh

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:09:11 pm by Craigh1983 »

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Tyre Direction
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:02:11 pm »
I think a photo will be required  :grin:

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:09:26 pm »
I think a photo will be required  :grin:

Photo added :)

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »
I thought the exact thing when fitting my new wheels with Goodyear eagle f1 Assys on.. Turns out that's what asymmetric means  :ashamed:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/directional-and-asymmetric-tyres.html

EDIT: your tyres are fine 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:19:57 pm by Marc-5-GTI »
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:17:36 pm »

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:19:57 pm »
I thought the exact thing when fitting my new wheels with Goodyear eagle f1 Assys on.. Turns out that's what asymmetric means  :ashamed:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/directional-and-asymmetric-tyres.html

So mine would be classed as directional. So in that case you would have to buy 2 left hand side tyres and 2 right hand side tyres?
However if you buy 4 identical ones then you would have to put 2 of them that say 'outside' actually on the inside.

This is hurting my head lol It just doesn't make sense that they would all say outside on the same side as each other or two of them will always be the wrong direction  :confused:

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:21:12 pm »
I thought the exact thing when fitting my new wheels with Goodyear eagle f1 Assys on.. Turns out that's what asymmetric means  :ashamed:

So mine would be classed as directional. So in that case you would have to buy 2 left hand side tyres and 2 right hand side tyres?
However if you buy 4 identical ones then you would have to put 2 of them that say 'outside' actually on the inside.

This is hurting my head lol It just doesn't make sense that they would all say outside on the same side as each other or two of them will always be the wrong direction  :confused:

No.. From what I can tell from your OP, the tyres are asymmetric and so are fine  :happy2:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 07:21:49 pm »
So from your pic Ed (which are the Uniroyal rainsport 3's) the right hand one of them is dragging water to the middle of the tyre. Why would one side be different?

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 07:22:34 pm »
I currently has some avon ice touring, when I fitted them I was the same  :surprised:

My avon and yours (I believe) are Asymmetric tyres, and I think it's just the way they are!  :confused:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 07:23:50 pm »
Looks fine to me.

That's how they are

Exactly the same with my Vred Sessantas.
The tyres are also marked outside which you could check yourself too ...  :happy2:

they are fine and that is how they are.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »
For the lazy:

Since the footprint of UHP tires are wide and small and the RainSport 3 grooves are long and steep there is only a small part of the grooves within the footprint at the same time. Therefore the direction of the grooves in the footprint does not matter since they work more or less like standard circumferential grooves.

As the four groove asymmetrical pattern concept is common in the market, customers may expect that the handling part of the RainSport 3 is linked to the part which looks more familiar to a standard asymmetrical pattern:

But this perception is wrong. The new flow optimised pattern structure enables an even larger macro block structure which improves handling. Therefore the water flow optimized area must be focused on handling characteristics:

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 07:32:40 pm »
For the lazy:

Since the footprint of UHP tires are wide and small and the RainSport 3 grooves are long and steep there is only a small part of the grooves within the footprint at the same time. Therefore the direction of the grooves in the footprint does not matter since they work more or less like standard circumferential grooves.

As the four groove asymmetrical pattern concept is common in the market, customers may expect that the handling part of the RainSport 3 is linked to the part which looks more familiar to a standard asymmetrical pattern:

But this perception is wrong. The new flow optimised pattern structure enables an even larger macro block structure which improves handling. Therefore the water flow optimized area must be focused on handling characteristics:

Errrrrrrrrr..... I take your word for it lol I understood none of that :) haha

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hfrn26c0pgbm11e6ofhqrghotn&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 07:59:23 pm »
They are fine... they are asymmetric patten despite the fact the looks very similar to symmetrical tread.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 08:10:24 pm »
As above, they're fine!  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~