Make a donation

Author Topic: Possible damage to rear!!!!!!  (Read 1233 times)

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
Possible damage to rear!!!!!!
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:24:05 pm »
Right I have done a stupid thing today and deserve any onslaught of wise cracks but I think I may end up suffering where it really hurts which is my wallet  :sad1:

Basically after deciding to swap my rear wheels around due to a very clever poster on here recognizing they were on the wrong way around I instead of going out and buying proper jacks or stands decided it would be safe to use mine and my partners car jacks to do the job.

This was a very big mistake as jacked up one side fine with my jack and then jacked the other side up with my partners which was a more solid jack but mine was not that goo and due to the height lost balance. Now it did this gradually and the car slowly slipped down onto the ground on both sides. This resulted in the heat shields initially on either side taking the weight and bending slightly. On one side my jack had jammed under the car so think that was taking the weight also but on the other side seemed to be just the heat shield. I looked under the car to check if I could see any other damage but could not. The only thing I could see was(and forgive me as do not know what the parts are called) the 2 long parts of the suspension either side seemed to be flush with the floor.

So basically I nipped to Halfords and bought 2 hydraulic jacks, slid them under each side of the car and lifted it up. Again could only see that the heat shields were slightly bent but nothing else damaged. Slotted wheels back on, lowered and then to check just drove it in reverse and forward a few times over bumps and heavy braking to see if anything sounded broke or if anything did not feel right but everything seemed fine.

Sorry for the long post and I know without someone inspecting it there is no way to tell what damage may have been done if any but could anyone take a punt at what likely may have been damaged and if so what sort of symptoms would I find when driving.

As said I could kick myself and only saving grace is none of body parts were under the car which would have been a lot worse than just metal being damaged  :confused:

Offline Andy1994

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Possible damage to rear!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:31:06 pm »
if the car came down gradually and slowly id probably say nothing will likely be damaged if the car collapsed however then there may be some problems, listen for knocing or clunking noises when driving but id say youl be fine

Offline biffobear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 06:43:48 pm »
will be fine, the backplates for the discs may have bent at the bottom, just make sure they are straight and not rubbing the discs

Offline Adam-golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • Derv!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 06:51:16 pm »
Any pics?

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:16:26 pm »
Any pics?

No pics but was too hell bent on getting the new jacks under and lifting up and fitting the wheels back on.

In terms of the metal around the discs or heat shield I think it is the damage was they were slightly bent inwards rather than outwards so further away from the brakes so hopefully not causing anymore damage.

Can these heat shields just be knocked back straight instead f having to buy new ones and if did need new ones what would the price likely be?

I will next week jack the car up(safely this time) and take some pics of where the damage occurred and the rest on the underneath at the back as someone may spot some damage that looks fine to me.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »
If it's just the dust shields, feck em, I cut mine off when they rusted, no worries. :happy2:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:29:17 pm »
If it's just the dust shields, feck em, I cut mine off when they rusted, no worries. :happy2:

I so hope it is only them but will find out tomorrow when take the car for a drive to work  :ashamed:

Would be some excuse calling in to work saying I cannot come in as the rear of the car just fell apart  :driver:

But hopefully nothing wrong and just cost me a bit of pride and £80 for 2 heavy duty jack  :happy2:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 07:30:27 pm »
Have you driven it yet? Are the shields rubbing...

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 07:34:12 pm »
I only reversed it out of the drive and back in again a few times(as tea was on the table :party:) and kept braking hard to see if it maybe jolted anything that was damaged. Could not hear any sounds of anything rubbing so seems fine but I suppose a longer run is needed.

Will probably need more photos to be sure also as I expect the jacks may have caused some possible cosmetic damage

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 07:34:48 pm »
If you intend to go underneath your car you should really buy axle stands.
'07 Red manual

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 07:38:55 pm »
If you intend to go underneath your car you should really buy axle stands.

I know and luckily I was not intending to go under the car but I was also lucky it happened almost as soon as got jacked up as it moved to the left as it went to the ground so if was working on fitting the wheels who knows what could of happened.

I now have some heavy duty wheels jacks and also getting some axle stands this week so fully prepared if ever need to jack up again

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:39:37 am »
Well drove the car to work this morning and all seems fine and no weird noises. Looks to be some cosmetic damage where the jack hit the bodywork.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 11:06:50 am »
Sounds like a lucky escape with only minimal damage caused.

You only make that sort of mistake once  :laugh:
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 11:38:41 am »
Sounds like a lucky escape with only minimal damage caused.

You only make that sort of mistake once  :laugh:

I do indeed but still thinking I may get it checked out by a garage to double check. Although it needs to go in soon for disc and pad replacements so could get someone to look over it then.

Offline Karl_mac_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 01:16:25 pm »
Might be worth having alignment checked.
VW Golf GTi DSG2.0 TFSI : DSG : BBS LM : Blueflame exhaust : Pipercross Venom Induction : Eibach Springs
VW Lupo1.4l : Automatic : White : Stickers.