Make a donation

Author Topic: Radiator fan stuck on after coolant temp sensor change...  (Read 1583 times)

Offline oakesy2001uk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Radiator fan stuck on after coolant temp sensor change...
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »
My rad fan comes on after about 10 seconds of start up, and stays on for 10 mins after I turn engine off.... the engine is cold.

I've just put a new genuine coolant temp sensor in the car, but the temp guage reads cold so i shouldn't be that should it? both fans are on, big and little.

The old temp guage read 70 degrees most of the time even when up to temp (occaisonally 90 degrees but mostly 70 ish after warming up reasonably quickly), so was broken...

Have I uncovered a seperate problem?

55plate mk5 GTI if it matters :-)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:36:54 pm by oakesy2001uk »

Offline oakesy2001uk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Radiator fan stuck on after coolant temp sensor change...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 05:21:23 pm »
old sensor back in... fans still on.... go for a drive, fans now off... left ticking over for 10-15 mins to see if they turned themselves on, and they didn't....

not sure if its a bad temp sensor, or if I've uncovered another issue by fixing the sensor. I'll send this sensor back and try another.

Anyone had similar?

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:54:57 pm »
The front fans come on if the AC is selected even though the engine temperature gauge may not be showing the normal temp has been reached but wouldn't run after the ignition is turned off.

As for not reach ing your running temperature - this may explain your problem

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,78341.0.html

If I was you I would get a VCDS scan

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.0.html

And see if anyone is in your area.

Offline oakesy2001uk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:20:55 pm »
The car reaches temp quickly, but the gauge on the open road generally shows at around 70 degree's when warm... it then rises to 90when the car is in slow moving traffic, or you put your foot down for a prolonged period, dropping to 70 again when at a sedate cruise...I don't see how this can be a thermostat issue, it does it at the end of a half hour drive the same as it does at the start.

Both fans were on full blast with the AC turned off... I'm thinking this new sensor must be bad. bad thermostats couldn't cause a stone cold engines fans to try and make the car take off, I'll order another sensor first and see if that solves it, unless anyone has a better idea..

Thanks for the help so far!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:24:14 pm by oakesy2001uk »