Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf GTD vs. Octavia vRS. Went for the OCTAVIA!  (Read 7952 times)

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re: Golf GTD vs. Octavia vRS (CR TDI)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 05:14:23 pm »
Thanks for the opinions lads. Going to accompany my mate to see an Octavia or two at the weekend. Haven't actually sat in one myself, so going along to satisfy my curiosity/nosiness.

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Golf GTD vs. Octavia vRS (CR TDI)
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 08:31:44 pm »
i've had a octavia vrs in for work just recently, and i've got to say i was very impressed. i'd definatley have one.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re: Golf GTD vs. Octavia vRS. WENT WITH THE OCTAVIA!!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 09:58:38 am »
So...

Visited our local Skoda dealer at the weekend. Was much impressed by their new metal inside the showroom, especially the Rapid Spaceback. I have a feeling this is gonna be a budget car and not see any of the faster petrol/diesel engines. If it came out as a vRS in the future I'd be very tempted.

Back to the Octavia hunting. As mentioned my mate was more interested in if the iPod would connect, and bluetooth for his phone than out and out speed/handling, so we went to look at a 2010 Octavia vRS TDI (CR) in red. Toys incude full leather, heated seats, bending Xenons (follow the road), cruise control and last but not least a Kenwood DNX520vbt.

Initial thoughts were it's a bigger car inside (a plus) than the Golf, especially the front two seats. Cavernous boot space (another plus) and a slightly better driving position/view than the Mk5 (he's driven mine loads).

Whilst deciding on it we sat in a showroom new vRS Combi (Estate) with the bucket seats, Columbus, etc, etc. Something caught his eye and next thing I know we are out for a test drive in a Mk3 Octavia vRS (Hatch). Decision made, it is more refined than the Mk2, more power (184 bhp) and even more toys on it. So Skoda are bringing in a silver vRS TDI for him fromo down south. I'm just slightly jealous.  :ashamed:

However, couldn't let a car like that (mk2) get away. I bartered with the salesman for a while and now I'm going to pick up the Mk2 facelift Octavia vRS on Saturday for myself!!  :surprised:

They eventually came up to offering me near private sale price for my mk5 Golf (Part Ex prices are mega high at the minute), also came down in price from the forecourt price, and threw in 2 years free servicing, a cambelt change and I've just squeezed them to do the waterpump at the same time. And change my private plate onto the car too.  :happy2:

Car will be collected on Saturday. Will post up photos and spec at the weekend!  :pomppomp:

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 05:07:27 pm »
I love my mk2 vrs get it down to performance torque for a stage 2 map.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Regards,

Mike

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 05:30:03 pm »
So...

Visited our local Skoda dealer at the weekend. Was much impressed by their new metal inside the showroom, especially the Rapid Spaceback. I have a feeling this is gonna be a budget car and not see any of the faster petrol/diesel engines. If it came out as a vRS in the future I'd be very tempted.

Back to the Octavia hunting. As mentioned my mate was more interested in if the iPod would connect, and bluetooth for his phone than out and out speed/handling, so we went to look at a 2010 Octavia vRS TDI (CR) in red. Toys incude full leather, heated seats, bending Xenons (follow the road), cruise control and last but not least a Kenwood DNX520vbt.

Initial thoughts were it's a bigger car inside (a plus) than the Golf, especially the front two seats. Cavernous boot space (another plus) and a slightly better driving position/view than the Mk5 (he's driven mine loads).

Whilst deciding on it we sat in a showroom new vRS Combi (Estate) with the bucket seats, Columbus, etc, etc. Something caught his eye and next thing I know we are out for a test drive in a Mk3 Octavia vRS (Hatch). Decision made, it is more refined than the Mk2, more power (184 bhp) and even more toys on it. So Skoda are bringing in a silver vRS TDI for him fromo down south. I'm just slightly jealous.  :ashamed:

However, couldn't let a car like that (mk2) get away. I bartered with the salesman for a while and now I'm going to pick up the Mk2 facelift Octavia vRS on Saturday for myself!!  :surprised:

They eventually came up to offering me near private sale price for my mk5 Golf (Part Ex prices are mega high at the minute), also came down in price from the forecourt price, and threw in 2 years free servicing, a cambelt change and I've just squeezed them to do the waterpump at the same time. And change my private plate onto the car too.  :happy2:

Car will be collected on Saturday. Will post up photos and spec at the weekend!  :pomppomp:

Holy s**t didn't see that coming

they are good cars,  vfm and practicality also are plus points too

enjoy your new car
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 06:16:28 pm »
I love my mk2 vrs get it down to performance torque for a stage 2 map.

Hmmm... Performance Torque, where abouts are they at? I'm from Edinburgh so presuming everything is miles away.  :sad1: PDT is in Newcastle though. Been considering them recently. My last 3 cars have had the Shark treatment. Haven't read any reviews on the for the Common Rail CEGA Engine. I know Matto got fairly poor results on his PD 170 (BMN).

Will investigate...    :nerd:

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 07:52:56 pm »
Performance torque are in Wolverhampton but he does a hand held device too

Regards,

Mike

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 07:53:09 pm »
Here is my car https://www.facebook.com/ptorque/posts/10151832286051673

Regards,

Mike

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 07:54:02 pm »
I personally don't rate shark either but have used performance torque on my last 4 cars as well as 2 of my brothers

Regards,

Mike

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Regards,

Mike

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Golf GTD vs. Octavia vRS. Went for the OCTAVIA!
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 08:05:11 pm »
I had the CBBB CR170 engine, it's a great unit. Much more refined than the old PD engines and the torque delivery is more like a turbo petrol rather than diesel.

In 3rd gear, they can be quite nippy  :happy2:

NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 02:47:36 pm »
So...

Visited our local Skoda dealer at the weekend. blah blah..

Car will be collected on Saturday.  :pomppomp:

Sweet.  Thread title should say TWO octavias purchased :)
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311