Make a donation

Author Topic: Hard to remove Tar  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Hard to remove Tar
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:06:24 am »
What is the best way to deal with REALLY difficult to remove tar.

Spent some time yesterday decontaminating the car of years of tar build up and managed remove all of it bar what is on the lower edge of the passenger door. The stain looks like a splash mark and will not come off using AG Tar remover.

Any thoughts?
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
Re: Hard to remove Tar
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:10:42 am »
spray WD40 on a rag hold it on the tar til it starts to go soft then wipe it off  :happy2: it works try it

Rob

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 09:16:54 am »
Use a proper Tar removal product such as Autosmart Tardis.

AG Tar remover is not very good. Spray on and leave for a couple of minutes and then wipe off with a microfibre and rinse.
It will remove all of your wax so you will want to re-wax the area,you might as well iron-x and clay and then wax/seal after using Tardis to reprotect the area.

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:36:13 pm »
I know as I write this someone will contradict me. However I used meguires quick detailer and clay bar. I did the areas and it removed all the tar, left the paintwork perfectly smooth for polish.

Offline Banham

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
  • GTI MK6
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:37:12 pm »
AG tar remover is rubbish tried it on my girlfriends car and hardly removed anything. I use auto finesse obliterate which works amazing at removing tar. Not saying it does it in one go but couple of passes and all clean. I have heard got things about autosmart tardis and think alot of people favour it.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0j9vr0ttugqiu3h6943rp9q8s9&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:40:46 pm »
As above... tardis... or WD40

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 04:38:40 pm »
I know as I write this someone will contradict me. However I used meguires quick detailer and clay bar. I did the areas and it removed all the tar, left the paintwork perfectly smooth for polish.

If you can remove tar without having to use a clay bar that reduces the likelyhood of causing any marring to the paint surface so is always the preferred method.

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:32:07 pm »
AutoFinesse ObliTARate is very good.
Steel Grey GTI, 19" BBS RD383 wheels, R32 rear bumper, BCS R32 style cat back

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 08:02:53 am »
AG tar remover is rubbish tried it on my girlfriends car and hardly removed anything. I use auto finesse obliterate which works amazing at removing tar. Not saying it does it in one go but couple of passes and all clean. I have heard got things about autosmart tardis and think alot of people favour it.

Maybe depends on the tar I suppose, some probably sets harder than others, our car it absolutely covered at the moment (and I mean covered) after a botch repair job on our road, I had a go on a couple of the worst panels the other night with AG tar remover and thought it worked brilliantly.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Banham

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
  • GTI MK6
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:01:33 am »

Maybe depends on the tar I suppose, some probably sets harder than others, our car it absolutely covered at the moment (and I mean covered) after a botch repair job on our road, I had a go on a couple of the worst panels the other night with AG tar remover and thought it worked brilliantly.

If the car is protected with a wax or sealant i think ag tar remover may work better, but was her car wasn't protected and god knows how long the tar was on there for. Dont think it is as strong as others out there. If tar isnt on there long will prob come off with AG but always like the have something that requires less work  :laugh:

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 09:46:28 am »

If the car is protected with a wax or sealant i think ag tar remover may work better, but was her car wasn't protected and god knows how long the tar was on there for. Dont think it is as strong as others out there. If tar isnt on there long will prob come off with AG but always like the have something that requires less work  :laugh:

See what you mean, there are probably easier things out there, my next door neighbour uses Tardis and it looks a bit less involved but our car has had an amazing detailing job done by the previous owner so that probably helps.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline biffobear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 01:31:08 pm »
A little white spirit on a cloth, just remember whatever you use that you will have to wax that area again as it will have been removed

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:00:58 pm »
Thanks guys.

I'm going to try WD40 on a small area as well as Autosmart Tardis to compare results.

Agreed, AG Tar remover isn't exactly brilliant.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 10:10:54 pm »
Show N shine waterless wash. The range sell this stuff and usually have BOGOF deals. Its fantastic on hard tar spots
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 01:30:32 am »
Use autosmart tardis that is the only product you need to use
It's also by far the cheapest out of any of the products on a per ML basis so honestly don't waste your time with WD40 or anything else.

Be careful of getting any tar removal product on any plastic rub strips eg the GTI skirts..