Make a donation

Author Topic: Supercar driving experiences - any recommendations?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline hercules78

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Supercar driving experiences - any recommendations?
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:56:49 pm »
The Mrs would love to do one of these and it's her birthday coming up so I thought I would make it happen.  Unfortunately there are so many out there and they all look the same - so I thought I would see if any of the good people on here have been on one......

Can you recommend any?  ideally in the south but happy to go up as far as Birmingham.  Im looking for a multi car expeience really - Porsche, Aston, Lambo etc but open to suggestions

Thanks in advance    :happy2:

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Supercar driving experiences - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:20:03 pm »
I've bought all mine through trackdays.co.uk. Some you can book actual dates and others you get a voucher to book later on. Get segregate them into tracks, car types or multi car ones. Just pick the circuits/airfield you want and go from there. Some of the bigger tracks tend to charge slightly more.

I booked my misses in on her birthday for an Audi R8 one on her birthday. With most if them you can book more laps and other cars on the day at a discounted rate. Most sell you a photo and do deals for more than one and now they even do on board videos.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fo6ssqsb86oi6khhjrjero9r5d&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Supercar driving experiences - any recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:23:48 pm »
IMO they are rubbish. Go and do the single seater experience at silverstone. Much more fun

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:26:38 pm »
Or book a session with Hurdy...   :evilgrin:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:35:49 pm »
I got one for Christmas (redletterdays) That I have yet to book up (should probably get on with it) I think the Deal my parents got was I get to drive 2 supercars of my choosing from their selection and then get taken for a lap by a professional driver in one of them as well.

I think their place is near Oxford, not sure if they have other places across the country though.

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:43:04 pm »
I can really recommend Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands.

Have done Super car, 4 x 4, Skid Pan and U16 Driving Experience for the younger ones.

All Mercedes of course, but when you are either driven or are driving  a 500+ BHP AMG who cares!  :happy2:

Great museum / show centre for all Mercs old and new. Nice cafes. Silver Wings Display Team etc etc.

Great day out.

Offline Sug

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:46:47 pm »
Me and a mate payed £60 each for 4 laps in a Lamborghini gallardo and a 3 laps round the track in a vxr8 by an instructer. We ended up going to prestwold (Leicester) as it offered a lot more choice of cars than a closer track to us York. It was a good day out as when we got there you could drive anything you liked from a Lamborghini aventador to a hummer or even military tank for a discounted £30 or take a spin with a guy dressed as stig in a Atom. First had the Lamborghini which wasn't too impressed (hard to believe) then a v10 R8 very nice and then a nissan GTR which for me was the best! So if I was you just book the cheapest then choose what you like the look of on the day. :happy2:
EDITION 30 GONE, MK6 R GONE........AUDI 8V S3.....Stock for now

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 06:42:22 pm »
IMO they are rubbish. Go and do the single seater experience at silverstone. Much more fun

I second this as my missus bought it for me as a birthday present. I have not driven any of the Super cars around a track but I would say the Single Seater position with it being so low felt much better. Plus the fact you are in an open cockpit and the noises make it feel much more like a racing experience especially when overtaking on the straights even if it is all monitored  :driver:

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 06:55:25 pm »
Due to hearing things like not being allowed to change gear and speed limiters on the supercar experience days (venue and company dependent), for my first track experience I opted for a £35 VXR power event session. Never thought I would say this but I had a lot of fun round Oulton Park in VXR’s, as within reason you could do what you want… Just my 2 cents worth :happy2:

Offline Scooby mic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 06:58:04 pm »
I've done quiet a few
Ferrari porshe etc and have never really been allowed full beans
I got great comments off instructors and said we have to put chicane err as we get some idiots who can't drive etc
So they spoil what could be amazing experiences.
The best was a rally day they encouraged more throtal etc etc exactly what you want
Feeling you could do another day and improve more.
Worse was a 911 turbo found the car heavy and slow.
It's all an experience though

Offline RedED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 07:03:23 pm »
All the cars are rented (see the Evo team that run 6th Gear Experience) Hence the no full beans policy.

I have done 2 and it was an eye opener, but only done them as been brought as presents.

I have spent my own money, however on track tuition which i believe i got better bang for buck from.
Revo Stage2 - With Linear Throttle
Revo DSG
BCS Turboback Powervalve - This is a must.
ITG Closed Intake.. wooosh

Here to enjoy and help, with a hint of sarcasm, please do not be offended

Offline hercules78

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »
I've bought all mine through trackdays.co.uk. Some you can book actual dates and others you get a voucher to book later on. Get segregate them into tracks, car types or multi car ones. Just pick the circuits/airfield you want and go from there. Some of the bigger tracks tend to charge slightly more.

I booked my misses in on her birthday for an Audi R8 one on her birthday. With most if them you can book more laps and other cars on the day at a discounted rate. Most sell you a photo and do deals for more than one and now they even do on board videos.

Thanks for that.  which track did you go to?  and what was the deal with the extra insurance on the day?  is it per car or for the whole day?  If I go for a 4 car experience I dont want to have to pay 4 x CDW insurances

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fo6ssqsb86oi6khhjrjero9r5d&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 01:36:08 pm »
Seriously dont bother with the supercar ones.. they are crap you will be disappointed, you dont get to open the taps up that much. On the single seater ones you get to drive it as fast as you want.... overtake... anything goes pretty much. So much grip, corner like a go kart. And they are pretty cheap at 99 quid.

Offline hercules78

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 02:26:07 pm »
Seriously dont bother with the supercar ones.. they are crap you will be disappointed, you dont get to open the taps up that much. On the single seater ones you get to drive it as fast as you want.... overtake... anything goes pretty much. So much grip, corner like a go kart. And they are pretty cheap at 99 quid.

If it was for me I would, but the Mrs has a bit of a thing for Astons so I have to go with that

Offline Gasman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »
I've done a Ferrari f430 and a lamborghini Murcielago in the past.  I was able to give it the beans in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear but the tracks weren't long enough to get much out of 4th.  I think the fastest I got to was 140 and that was at Bruntingthorp.  My mrs has just bought me a voucher for a single seater for my birthday so I'm looking forward to seeing how that compares.
Steel Grey GTI, 19" BBS RD383 wheels, R32 rear bumper, BCS R32 style cat back