Make a donation

Author Topic: Decision time ! S3 v Ed30  (Read 9478 times)

Offline Moschops

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
Re: Decision time ! S3 v Ed30
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 12:21:34 pm »
Go for the S3.. the ED30 is very basic with hardly any extras fitted to it.  Just my 2 penth worth... :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 01:49:30 pm »

On the edition 30, that is a good spot with the lights and to be honest has scared me off it a bit, why would you replace the lights unless it has had front end damage ???

With a bit of luck the s3 will still be available tomorrow night although i doubt it !  :sad:

Kev

....It's not uncommon for the foglight lenses to get stone damaged etc to the extent of needing replacement (mine did for example).

Your comment "with a bit of luck" suggests your heart prefers the S3. Methinks you need to drive both to be able to decide. Driving will make your decision much easier.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline subaru26675

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 01:58:19 pm »
As i mentioned in an earlier post, i had a shot of my mates revo'd gti Mk5 and thought it was an excellent drive. I am only assuming the s3 with 310bhp will be a cracking car to drive with that added bit of quality over the golf.
Prices on the edition 30 do look a bit false and have inflated to a level too close to the S3, It is making the decision slightly easier.

Kev

Offline subaru26675

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 02:06:00 pm »
I would like to add that the advice and thoughts of you guys on here are very much appreciated and have real value in helping me out with my decision.
 :drinking:

Kev

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 02:23:28 pm »
I would just go and drive both cars, on paper the S3 looks the better car, but I think you could be surprised.

It also surprises me how many people are going on about buying the S3, as its a better build quality??  Agreed, but surely how they drive, being as the Golf is also well built, but not to Audi standard, is higher up on the wants list, or is it only me that thinks this?

Anyway good luck with your decision, you won't be disappointed with either, however on the arrival of the Golf R, I would expect the S3's residuals to take a little kicking, as will the R32's.  To be fair prices have levelled on all models, and some are depreciating as normal again.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:48:11 pm by Oli »
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Webby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 02:33:53 pm »
I personally would go with the S3. Build quality is much better than the MK5 Golf (mine rattles and squeaks like a barstewards) which is a bit dissapointing really. Even though I've only had my car just over 3 weeks the rattles are really starting to piss me off to the point I'm thinking of getting rid of it ( oh and the DSG box is too jerky for my liking!)

I used to sell Audi's for a living so know how well built they are!

Offline JonnyG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Golf R
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »
S3 looks the better value to me. 

The ED30 has no optional extras at all by the look of it.   

Think I'd check very carefully on the history of both cars before parting with any cash  :wink:
Golf R, 5dr, DSG, March 2010, Rising Blue, 19" Talladegas, Cruise

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 03:07:07 pm »

It also surprises me how many people are going on about buying the S3, as its a better build quality??  Agreed, but surely how they drive, being as the Golf is also well built, but not to Audi standard, is higher up on the wants list, or is it only me that thinks this?

....No, you're not the only one, Oli. For me, how a car feels to drive is very very high up the list indeed. It's not about which car is the better value-for-money or 'residuals' either.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 06:37:21 pm »
I think that S3 is well priced.  Ok, so I'm a little biased but I'd take the S3.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 06:44:13 pm »
I think that S3 is well priced.  Ok, so I'm a little biased but I'd take the S3.

I think if i had to buy again, and had the same decision, I think I would too!  S3's were too new 18months ago, and cost too much.  Still the Ed is a lovely substitute.

:happy2:

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 06:47:46 pm »
edition 30 all the way, the s3 does absolutely nothing for me. i also recon edition 30's will hold there money better in years to come. loads of s3 not so loads of ed30's always a bigger following for the golf.

as for traction LSD the ed30 for £1200 dont forget the s3 has the haldex all wheel drive system, not to be confused with a propper 4wd quattro.

s3 is heavier, haldex saps power through the transmision. ed30 ed30

disclaimer, this is just my opinion  :pomppomp:
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2009, 11:18:20 am »

as for traction LSD the ed30 for £1200 dont forget the s3 has the haldex all wheel drive system, not to be confused with a propper 4wd quattro.

s3 is heavier, haldex saps power through the transmision. ed30 ed30 :

I dont understand that? You make a point of it not being 4wd quattro which would sap lots of power (permanent 4wd) but then state haldex saps power?

Best bit about haldex is it only sends power to the rear when traction is lost, therefore its mostly FWD so very little power lost.

Both different cars, S3 is more GT than hot hatch which is what the ED30 is. Does a nicer interior and haldex warrent the extra price really?
I would go for the S3 because of the haldex, if the ed30 had it then i would choose that. The last few days of constant rain reminded me of how much of an upper hand it gives you over quick fwd cars  :wink:

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 11:49:00 am »
all iam saying is that the haldex quattro system is not as good as the quattro system used on the s4 rs4 it is more front wheel drive and thus understeers like a front wheel drive. yes it has good grip but 4wd saps power through the transmision and weighs more.
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 12:14:27 pm »
all iam saying is that the haldex quattro system is not as good as the quattro system used on the s4 rs4 it is more front wheel drive and thus understeers like a front wheel drive. yes it has good grip but 4wd saps power through the transmision and weighs more.

With the last few days of rain ive been more than happy in my heavier grippier car, even seen a few rwd cars fail that would usually be off in the distance  :signLOL:

horses for course and all that though

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 12:40:45 pm »

With the last few days of rain ive been more than happy in my heavier grippier car, even seen a few rwd cars fail that would usually be off in the distance  :signLOL:

horses for course and all that though
Yeah ok..... 2 days of rain though previous 28 days of sunny weather....hmmmmm  :laugh: