Make a donation

Author Topic: Sidelight problem, help Pleassseee  (Read 1729 times)

Offline calversbuyuk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Sidelight problem, help Pleassseee
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:54:08 am »
Hey would really appreciate some help im having a few problems with my eos 2006 model.
So i had LED sidelights and HID lights which have been working perfect for ages.
I bought one of the auto switches so the lights work automatically when it turns dark - that worked fine
i then bought some new LED sidelights which were even brighter and these worked fine for a day however one side keeps randomly going out.
So i tested my old bulbs and another NEW bulb and it still does the same thing it only happens when i do this-
Have the sidelights turned ON they work perfect no problems
Have the main lights on and obv sidelights come on with it AND then this is when it comes up with an error on the dash saying a bulb is out and its a sidelight.

So i thought it could be the bulb but like i said i tried my old lights and new and they still did it. I tried changing the switch back to the old switch today and it is still doing the same thing, almost like there is some wiring or something gone wrong? any ideas? have i explained that good enough, if not please just ask as its really annoying and need it sorted
Thanks

Calvin

Offline calversbuyuk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Sidelight problem, help Pleassseee
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 02:25:32 pm »
any help at all please

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 13
  • 56 plate 5 door in Black Pearl Metallic
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 03:10:30 pm »
Firstly, the switch you bought will only control the 'Auto lights' if you have the correct windscreen light sensor. Have you fitted this too? Sounds like you need to check if your new switch in combination with your new LED's have thrown a fault code - know anyone with VCDS near you? Where do you live?

Offline calversbuyuk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:45:25 pm »
Yes they have come with the sensor which i connected and that part of it seems to work fine. As for the code that could be the problem if that's possible is a VCDS  a vagcom?  I have a friend with a vagcom and I also have one of the fault readers/code clearers whish you plug in so would either of these work? Thanks

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:57:33 pm »
Almost guarantee it's going to be because you have silly LED bulbs.

Put standard halogen bulbs back in and you will have no problems.

Offline calversbuyuk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:54:04 pm »
nope i put standard bulbs back in and still had the same problem thats why i dont get it, and also had other LED bulbs in for about 6 months with no problems at all

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 12:44:40 am »
Wow, okay - Then that is indeed it.
It's not going to be the switch.

Do you have any other LED or non-standard lights, such as LED number plate bulbs, etc?

You can on VCDS check the status of the bulbs... and what the car thinks they are doing... might be worth turning off the cold lamp diagnosis as well to see if that has any effect.

Offline calversbuyuk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 01:56:10 pm »
Wow, okay - Then that is indeed it.
It's not going to be the switch.

Do you have any other LED or non-standard lights, such as LED number plate bulbs, etc?

You can on VCDS check the status of the bulbs... and what the car thinks they are doing... might be worth turning off the cold lamp diagnosis as well to see if that has any effect.
\Sorry whats do you mean its it?
Yes its not the switch as the original switch has the same problem and i got a new switch which also has the same problem. 
Yes i have LED numberplate lights x2 and i have interior map lights x2 which are LED. the interior have been going for ages which are fine but the number plate lights also work fine but i got these the same time i bought the BRIGHT LEDs and the switch.

Oh can i so if i can get hold of a VCDS i can check the status and see what is wrong? ok i can give that a go not sure what it is but ill try?

thanks

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »
take the number plate LED's out and put standard bulbs in there.

I had issues with some LED bulbs which started about 6 months after installation causing my sidelights (only on one side) to not work.

Offline calversbuyuk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »
Ah this is wierd, i just went out there to my car to have a play and now its saying front left dipped beam is not working but everything else is  :surprised: :surprised: :confused: :confused:

Shall i try what you said with the number plate lights and see how that goes then?

Offline calversbuyuk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 08:36:44 pm »
ok today i received a pair of canbus error code remover things and plugged these in and so far no errors on the dash weird but its all good