Make a donation

Author Topic: wax and sealant  (Read 2692 times)

Offline golfgti10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
wax and sealant
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:48:06 pm »
are wax and sealant different things or the same

should I be waxing and then sealing or is the wax a sealant for the polish

Offline Adam-golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • Derv!
    • Email
Re: wax and sealant
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »
I think that it works that you choose one to the other. Wax being easier to apply then a sealant.

Sealant are chemical made where as waxes are natural.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:19:22 am »
After polishing some people use a sealant then use a wax on top but there is no need to, it's either you use a wax or a sealant. People tend to use a sealant on light kind of colours such as white and wax on darker colours like red. Wax's give a more deep warmth look and sealants give a more glass like gloss look to the car
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:21:56 am by Chris92 »

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 01:16:29 am »
After polishing some people use a sealant then use a wax on top but there is no need to, it's either you use a wax or a sealant. People tend to use a sealant on light kind of colours such as white and wax on darker colours like red. Wax's give a more deep warmth look and sealants give a more glass like gloss look to the car

no they don't  :fighting2: :fighting2:  :signLOL:

you can use a sealant first and then a wax if you want. but most people pick one or the other. i use one or the other when doing cars.

the ease of application very much depends on what product it is, you can't reaaaallly say that "waxes" are easier to apply than "sealants". this day and age so many so called waxes are actually not "waxes" by definition at all so it can be very confusing. just try whatever product it is that you happen to use and go from there really that's the best advice i can give you.

i find some products easy to use while others find them hard.
likewise there are some products others find very easy to use and i just can't get on with them at all.
so it very much depends on yourself and your own particular environment

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:20:07 am »
I tend to use both purely for protection. My pre-winter clean has x2 layers of sealant and x4 layers of collinite.... Still going strong after about 5months!  :driver:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:56:46 pm »

no they don't  :fighting2: :fighting2:  :signLOL:

you can use a sealant first and then a wax if you want. but most people pick one or the other. i use one or the other when doing cars.

the ease of application very much depends on what product it is, you can't reaaaallly say that "waxes" are easier to apply than "sealants". this day and age so many so called waxes are actually not "waxes" by definition at all so it can be very confusing. just try whatever product it is that you happen to use and go from there really that's the best advice i can give you.

likewise there are some products others find very easy to use and i just can't get on with them at all.

Could you expand on that? I've read that a few times on DW that the sealants give a more glossy look and wax a warmer look kinda thing. I'm not saying your wrong at all you'll know far more than me on all things detailing  :happy2:

Offline missymckay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »
What's the best wax for a black car? I have been using Autoglym resin polish at the moment
AmD stage 1

Saintsteve

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 08:54:06 pm »
What's the best wax for a black car? I have been using Autoglym resin polish at the moment

Black hole by Poorbouys paste wax would be one I would recommend.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:57:06 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:59 pm »

SRP is better than blackhole. it's also cheaper.
believe it or not black hole doesn't work any better than any other glazey-filler type product on a black car!  :fighting:

no they don't  :fighting2: :fighting2:  :signLOL:

Could you expand on that? I've read that a few times on DW that the sealants give a more glossy look and wax a warmer look kinda thing. I'm not saying your wrong at all you'll know far more than me on all things detailing  :happy2:

Can't really expand anymore than what I said already
DW is full of morons to be honest - No offense to you or anything but half the people on there are the kind of people to spend 5x the money on a whole range of different waxes because one gives a "warm rich glow" I guarantee if you just polished a car to perfection you could not tell if it was waxed or not.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 09:50:10 am »
I apply 1 layer FK1000P sealant then 2-3 layers of FK2685 Pink.  So easy to apply.

Saintsteve

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »

SRP is better than blackhole. it's also cheaper.
believe it or not black hole doesn't work any better than any other glazey-filler type product on a black car!  :fighting:

no they don't  :fighting2: :fighting2:  :signLOL:

Could you expand on that? I've read that a few times on DW that the sealants give a more glossy look and wax a warmer look kinda thing. I'm not saying your wrong at all you'll know far more than me on all things detailing  :happy2:

Can't really expand anymore than what I said already
DW is full of morons to be honest - No offense to you or anything but half the people on there are the kind of people to spend 5x the money on a whole range of different waxes because one gives a "warm rich glow" I guarantee if you just polished a car to perfection you could not tell if it was waxed or not.

People have preferences about different products, what differs is how long the product will last on the car, yes a wax will make your car shiney, but some products will stick on later and not melt off quickly .

poorboys products aren't that longest lasting, but it's relatively cheap, and not expensive compared to other hyped products.

And yes I too have a Mahoosive pot of Autoglms Resin new formula stashed...It's good stuff but can cause dusting if over applied and in warm temps be harder to remove!

Are you a professional Detailer by trade Jay? or are you someone that's just being practicing since you left school?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:40:04 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:17 pm »
Ive tried using the black hole on few cars now and just cant get on with it but i like poor boys blue polish with carnuba , ive got a few different waxes but my favorites are auto glym HD or lusso ora

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 09:42:39 pm »

People have preferences about different products, what differs is how long the product will last on the car, yes a wax will make your car shiney, but some products will stick on later and not melt off quickly .

poorboys products aren't that longest lasting, but it's relatively cheap, and not expensive compared to other hyped products.

And yes I too have a Mahoosive pot of Autoglms Resin new formula stashed...It's good stuff but can cause dusting if over applied and in warm temps be harder to remove!

Are you a professional Detailer by trade Jay? or are you someone that's just being practicing since you left school?

A wax won't make your car shiney.  :sick:
The only "shine" given by a wax is because it will "fill" micro scratches in the paint surface thus giving the appearance of extra shine.

My issue is that people buy PB Blackhole for black cars and White diamond for white cars when in reality it's the same product just with a different colourant in the bottle. I see no reason to have lots of "fancy" products especially when I am buying products for use on customers cars - buy what works well.

Poorboys Blackhole and any other glazey-type product (SRP, etc, etc) ALWAYS need sealing with a wax or sealant. Or their polymers will just wash away in a matter of a few weeks at best!
If you suffer from dusting with SRP then try using a bit less of the product - There is also a new version which has less dusting than the older version which you may find more preferable  :party:

I work in IT mate lol. I do detailing on the side.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:44:13 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:28:14 pm »
On the subject of wax sealants What's your thoughts on machine polishing application vs hand?  I'm thinking in terms of FK1000p and FK2685

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 11:40:36 pm »
I prefer hand application  :happy2: