Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 cutting Rear Valance  (Read 1269 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Edition 30 cutting Rear Valance
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:41:44 pm »
Now i have been thinking about the prospect of not having my ED30 and getting a more practical car and the fitting of a towbar !

I have thought that would it be possible to cut out the recessed bit (the bit that is around the exhaust tails and the towing eye plug) on the ED30 carefully and then plastic weld something to the cut out bit and the rest of the lower valance to allow the piece to be refitted with some king of screw or joiner ?

This would allow a removeable towbar to be mounted with the piece removed and when the towbar is not needed the piece could be put back in place and back the original look ?

If you look closely aroud the edge of the piece that would be cut out ,  it looks like a separate bit anyway

Your views on the feasability

2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline south

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Edition 30 cutting Rear Valance
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:33:27 pm »
Sounds like a world of pain and not a good way for an eddy to go ;)

What are you mainly towing?

Offline Whitt_tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:39:50 pm »
Buy a spare copy rear lower bumper part and cut that for the tow bar then you could refit the original one if or when u decide to sell or change

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »
Yep doesn't sound good to me lol
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:33:25 pm »
That sounds like an awful idea to me.

Maybe pick up a standard GTI plastic valance and bolt that on until a time that you no longer need it or you want to sell the car.

Only reason being is most people who want to buy an Eddy will probably be, like most of the people on here, meticulous when it comes to keeping it in good condition, having a hole drilled in the back wont help.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 06:11:26 pm »
That sounds like an awful idea to me.

Maybe pick up a standard GTI plastic valance and bolt that on until a time that you no longer need it or you want to sell the car.

Only reason being is most people who want to buy an Eddy will probably be, like most of the people on here, meticulous when it comes to keeping it in good condition, having a hole drilled in the back wont help.

X2.

Buy a cheap normal GTI bumper and butcher that  :signLOL:

Then you have the ED30 valance ready to bolt back on afterwards when you stop towing or sell up   :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:15:31 pm »
Buy a spare copy rear lower bumper part and cut that for the tow bar then you could refit the original one if or when u decide to sell or change

That's all I did with me old FR. Just cut thru the valance, if I wanted to take the towbar off all I had to do was buy a new valance for like 30 quid or whatever
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 07:32:50 pm »
My Pirelli came with a detachable tow bar and a standard GTI lower valance with the removable cover for the tow bar, looks ok when not in use and it does come in handy if you need a tow bar.
I like the idea of having the use of a tow bar for my bikes to ferry about but my bikes are worth alot of money so would still be happier having them inside (wheels removed).

I was hoping the owner still had the standard Pirelli valance but he has misplaced it :stupid:

I am tempted to go R32 rear end but seems to be a expensive mod so was looking to return the rear to standard, so if you have a black magic rear valance on your Ed30 I will swap the whole lot with you tow bar and all?
Pirelli GTI

Offline gixerben

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92657.msg930393.html#msg930393
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:47 pm »
And I'm in Norfolk :signLOL:
Pirelli GTI