Make a donation

Author Topic: Meguiars DA Power System? (Power drill attachment)  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
Meguiars DA Power System? (Power drill attachment)
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:11:57 am »
Hi,

Have any of you guys used these?

http://www.awesomegti.com/carcare/cleaning/meguiars-da-power-system-g3500int#

I'm considering getting one because I want to start treating my car that extra bit better, are these good for their money?  We've got plenty of power drills at home so they should be fine or should I steer clear and save up to buy a proper DA polisher?  Its just most decent ones are pretty much £100 more.

If anyone has used them or seen any results from them I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Also at the moment I tend to use Autoglym products, is it better to switch over to Meguiar's polish if I'll be using this or does it not really matter?  I'm pretty new to detailing so sorry if these questions are a bit stupid.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
Re: Meguiars DA Power System? (Power drill attachment)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:37:18 pm »
I looked at those a while ago but wasn't sure you'd get the control you would with a proper polisher, I can imagine trying to do the roof with that attached to a drill would be very tricky.
For similar money I'm probably going to go with either the Silverline or Brohn ones. Think the Silverline one gets good reviews.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROHN-Car-Polisher-Sander-Machine-High-Speed-Durable-FREE-Carnauba-WAX-Polish-/121298882259?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item1c3dfa0ed3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-Mop-Trade-Car-Polisher-Buffer-Kit-with-5-heads-/261232524095?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item3cd2abfb3f

Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:43:39 pm »
Yes I have used it , at the Meguiars Day that I attended as part of ukmkivs.net
I don't really like it. Far too small. Maybe for use as a replacement for spot pads when using a DA but doesn't really have much power behind it and of course it attaches to your battery powered drill.

It's really quite pointless to me.

The Silverline is a rotary polisher so for inexperienced users it is more dangerous and I don't like them at all, they're very heavy, noisy and have a lot of vibration
Try a 3M or a Flex rotary and then jump to a Silverline and you'll see why it's 1/8th the price.

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:55:44 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.

I've been looking around and it seems like a dual action polisher is the way forward, especially for somebody who is new to using machines.  It looks like I'll stick to hand polishing and wait another month and get a proper, good quality DA polisher.

I guess its better to do it once and do it right rather than spend £60 on that and then still not get the results I want.  I'm still very new to this detailing world, my Golf is the first car I've had where the paintwork was worth protecting and I really like it look at its best.  I'll keep an eye on cleanyoucar etc for a better self propelled one.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:54:46 pm »
The Silverline is a rotary polisher so for inexperienced users it is more dangerous and I don't like them at all, they're very heavy, noisy and have a lot of vibration
Try a 3M or a Flex rotary and then jump to a Silverline and you'll see why it's 1/8th the price.

What's this issue with the Silverline? Is it because it's just one speed and could be a bit harsh in the wrong hands?
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Saintsteve

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:00:52 pm »

What's this issue with the Silverline? Is it because it's just one speed and could be a bit harsh in the wrong hands?

A machine that isn't a DA is more likely to burn through your paint if too much pressure is applied, and excess heat can occur, where as the DA will rotate backward and foward at any speed that you've set , and won't burn through or mar the paintwork as easy...That's my understanding of it.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:51:35 pm »

There's nothing "wrong" with it. It's just a cheap machine. So heavy, noisy and a lot of vibration...
The "danger" was with regards to rotary polishers (or direct drive Dual actions) rather than a normal dual action which, if you tip the polisher onto one side or apply too much pressure, would stop rotating, the rotary or direct drive dual action would continue to spin which increases the risk of burn through. As well as that there is extra heat generated which due to the DA's motion range, would be dissipated over a wider area.