Make a donation

Author Topic: Middle brake light  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Middle brake light
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 10:08:45 am »
All I can say is there is a heck of a lot of bent MOT testers out there.

Quite simply, if a 3rd rear brake light is factory fitted, and forms part of the Type Approval, then it must work, and is a testable MOT item.

A failed third rear brake light also breaches Construction and Use Regulations, and will also void insurance!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 03:19:48 pm »

Quite simply, if a 3rd rear brake light is factory fitted, and forms part of the Type Approval, then it must work, and is a testable MOT item.

A failed third rear brake light also breaches Construction and Use Regulations, and will also void insurance!

It won't void your insurance!! It is however part of the type approved golf and in theory should be tested. The only mandatory lights are the two - left and right, hence open to a very wide interpretation. But I could t comment on anything else naturally!
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 06:23:08 pm »
Don't know about the M.O.T side of things, but I thought high level brake lights were mandatory on all cars since a certain date. All new cars have had to have them fitted as standard for years now. 
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline jamma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 08:40:20 pm »
After the MOT was done they took a look look at the connections and within five mins they had fixed it anyway so all lights work now  :signLOL:

Offline L17JDH

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 09:47:38 pm »
After the MOT was done they took a look look at the connections and within five mins they had fixed it anyway so all lights work now  :signLOL:
I'm an mot tester and that's my understanding of reading the mot test guide.

The third brake light is just an additional brake light, as a tester we don't know it's connected. So if it doesn't work i would pass it. If less than 50% of the light didn't work I would fail it.

At the end of the day it's down to the tester.

I showed them your quote and they said ok they will pass it, thanks a lot :-)

Glad you got it all sorted now mate  :happy2:
Standard black vw golf mk5 gti 2005 // evoms intake, miltek cat back, pre-cat delete, r-tech stage 1 remap, Mercedes alphards, kw coilovers.

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 06:43:46 am »
Yay! Worth just keeping it working anyway!!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 10:02:05 am »

It won't void your insurance!!
Erm, I'm afraid it will.  OK, your own insurance will always pay out on third party damages, but if you were fully comp, you would recieve NO payout.  Virtually all motor insurance small print states that the car must be properly maintained, and kept in a road-worthy legal condition.  Golfs had 3 brakelights, only two working means it hasn't been maintained correctly - so insurance declines payout.  Or another way, you purposely snip the wires to the 3rd brake light - ins co will state you've done an unauthorised or undeclared modification = no payout.

It is however part of the type approved golf and in theory should be tested. The only mandatory lights are the two - left and right, hence open to a very wide interpretation. But I could t comment on anything else naturally!
Mandatory lights are all fitted brake lights - if three are fitted, then three should be tested.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 11:27:50 am »

It won't void your insurance!!
Erm, I'm afraid it will.  OK, your own insurance will always pay out on third party damages, but if you were fully comp, you would recieve NO payout.  Virtually all motor insurance small print states that the car must be properly maintained, and kept in a road-worthy legal condition.  Golfs had 3 brakelights, only two working means it hasn't been maintained correctly - so insurance declines payout.  Or another way, you purposely snip the wires to the 3rd brake light - ins co will state you've done an unauthorised or undeclared modification = no payout.

It is however part of the type approved golf and in theory should be tested. The only mandatory lights are the two - left and right, hence open to a very wide interpretation. But I could t comment on anything else naturally!
Mandatory lights are all fitted brake lights - if three are fitted, then three should be tested.

It won't void it in the sense the police will seize your car off you. The policy cancelled at a later stage is probably more appropriate.

Type approval vs legislation argument. The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 covers how many you need and the answer is two. Any more is fine should they comply but it is arguable whether it is an offence to fail to maintain the additional lights. The legislation doesn't make this clear, nor is there case law, so would have to go to court and they would need to consider what parliament intended by this. The spirit of the legislation would say you are correct but I don't think it's as clear cut. Clearly having them working at all times is the best way of avoiding this! Type approval as as said requires three working lights.

Offline Jakesangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 01:28:47 pm »
Just had my M.O.T this morning and was also informed that my highline middle brake light was not working. It still passed and the guy said that it wasn't a fail as both left and right brake lights were working properly.

Just for the record even though the middle brake light is not operational your insurance WOULD NOT be voided in the event of an accident. I've worked in the industry for over 20years.  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 02:45:22 pm »
If the person smashing into the back of your car did not see 2 brake lights a 3rd would unlikely have made a difference  :grin:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14