Make a donation

Author Topic: MS Outlook/Exchange Shared Calendar Query  (Read 2111 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
MS Outlook/Exchange Shared Calendar Query
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:49:53 pm »
Got an interesting one guys, I know there's different IT skills on the forum which I'm hoping can provide expertise here.

Scenario is that we've had a new PA to the CEO arrive at my workplace. In the CEO's Outlook profile, I've gone to File > Account settings > Delegate access > removed the previous PA, and added the new one with editor rights to both calendar and task. The tickbox between the two is also ticked. The rest of the options are set to none.
The option 'My delegates and me' are selected on the original screen where delegates are added or removed.

This setup is exactly as the previous PA had, so nothing looks to have changed here.

I've then gone to the PA's Outlook profile (Outlook 2010) and opened the CEO's shared calendar (to which the PA has maximum permissions, owner) so she can see it in her calendar section of Outlook.
She has full permissions to create, edit, delete etc... and this works nicely.

The huge issue is that when the PA creates a New Meeting for the CEO to attend and clicks to invite attendees, the email is sent from the CEO's email address and subsequently, all replies and communications go to the CEO's inbox - when obviously that defeats the purpose of the PA's role. There's not a 'FROM' field in the New Meeting window to choose to send from her own account, despite the fact she has delegate access. She can also open a new email window and send 'FROM' the CEO by selecting him from the global address book list, so we know permissions are spot on  :happy2:

I've done endless net research and knowledge base digging to try and understand why it might not be showing. There are no concrete theories yet unfortunately hence asking for opinions and thoughts here.
The CEO's Outlook version for reference is also Outlook 2010, from memory.

The previous PA was able to create meeting requests and send 'on behalf of the CEO' in Outlook so she could manage and pickup the following comms on these. The CEO obviously does not want his inbox filling up with meeting comms' when he pays someone a good wage to manage these  :fighting2:

On page 23 of this PDF document link, you can clearly see the composer has provided a print screen of a New Meeting window on a shared calendar with a 'FROM' address active in the window, meaning they can choose who the email appears FROM.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/LSEServices/IMT/training/resources/2010/outlook2010SharingUsingCalendars.pdf

Exchange version is 2007 I believe, although we don't control this host unfortunately - it's centrally controlled in Italy.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or is able to make any sensible suggestions as to why the schedule/invite on behalf of might not be working, or why the FROM field is hidden on New Meeting requests in the CEOs calendar in the PA's Outlook client?

Thanks.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: MS Outlook/Exchange Shared Calendar Query
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:39:47 pm »
Does the previous PA still have her PC set up?

Try logging in with her account onto the PC / Outlook and verify the option is still there.
Then go into account settings and set up a new account for the new PA and see.

Interesting at my place a colleague has a similar issue.. I get the "from" box (and have the option to change it should I want) in meeting invites but my colleague doesn't. I spent a couple of hours looking into it but got drawn away with more pressing tasks.

Have you checked this?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook-help/allow-someone-else-to-manage-your-mail-and-calendar-HA010075081.aspx

I hate office and outlook with a passion.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:32:59 pm »
Does the previous PA still have her PC set up?

Try logging in with her account onto the PC / Outlook and verify the option is still there.
Then go into account settings and set up a new account for the new PA and see.

Interesting at my place a colleague has a similar issue.. I get the "from" box (and have the option to change it should I want) in meeting invites but my colleague doesn't. I spent a couple of hours looking into it but got drawn away with more pressing tasks.

Have you checked this?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook-help/allow-someone-else-to-manage-your-mail-and-calendar-HA010075081.aspx

I hate office and outlook with a passion.

This is that very same machine as the previous PA, original one is 3 months+ gone now.

Options there for emails as any user, no problem. Issue is with it in Meeting's and appointments.
On my client machine logged in as me (domain admin), I don't see the option either for scheduling. I'm not sure the scheduling on behalf of in Outlook 2010 is completely understood as there's not much on the net explaining it in Noddy terms  :sad1:

Yah indeed, had a scout through the MS KB. Was just more step by step stuff on what I already know at face value function stuff really.

So, are you in IT Support/IT as well dude?

*On a positive note, it looks like replies are going to the PA anyway regardless, so the delegate thing in Outlook might just be working by fluke. It still doesn't explain why test emails internally from the PA appear to be sent from the CEO's email address which is annoying... 
Pete

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:53:56 pm »
It could be related to a setting on the exchange server or on the users exchange profile?
Sometimes recreating the users exchange profile solves weird email issues?
Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:46:14 pm »
I think (may be misunderstanding here) but when you sent from "on behalf of" on Outlook 2007 onwards it would show the actual email address rather than on behalf of, or it could show on whatever the alias is set up to display.

I do support, consultancy and installation of voip and wireless systems
need to get better with some of the deep level  microsh*t stuff though haha :)

Offline Chrismeardon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:53:08 pm »
I think (may be misunderstanding here) but when you sent from "on behalf of" on Outlook 2007 onwards it would show the actual email address rather than on behalf of, or it could show on whatever the alias is set up to display.

Do you work for a company deploying internally or for a VAR/ partner?

I work for a systems integrator selling similar services, and many more.

Are there many IT guys on here?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:37:25 am »
VAR :)
We do ShoreTel, Avaya, as well as support legacy systems such as CS1k, BCM, etc. Wireless is Aerohive, Juniper and another one I forgot the name of ;)

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 01:27:14 pm »

Yeah and AFAIK that carries through into Outlook 2010, but indeed it should say "Sent by PA@comany.net on behalf of CEO@company.net", which we can't seem to prove that it does (when testing with internal addresses, anyway). This was the concern although yesterday the PA received an acceptance of a meeting she'd put into the CEO's calendar from within her Outlook client, which means at least she can poll the yes's, no's and maybe's to the invites.

How it appears, we don't know without testing with a gmail or hotmail account etc....

I would've thought it would do that for any invitee though, internal or not?  :confused:
This is the frustration - it's quite smoke and mirrors and really shouldn't be. I'd rather it was noddier to setup with a few less functions!
Pete

Offline Chrismeardon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 01:29:49 pm »
VAR :)
We do ShoreTel, Avaya, as well as support legacy systems such as CS1k, BCM, etc. Wireless is Aerohive, Juniper and another one I forgot the name of ;)

Nice!  No Cisco in there?  We're more on the infrastructure/managed service side of things and stay away from most telephony.