Make a donation

Author Topic: Battery drain still happening... Completely stumped :( **UPDATE**  (Read 46593 times)

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
    • Leicester Wedding Photographers
    • Email
Re: Battery drain still happening... Completely stumped :(
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2014, 12:14:03 pm »
fuse 18 for 2005 car, fuse box high or low is indeed for special vehicle thing (possibly for emergency services? or for an amplifier

do you have the OEM amp under either of your front seats for the speakers

Im not too sure i've never looked but will do when i get home for sure!
I take it will be some kind of box with wires coming out of it??

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Battery drain still happening... Completely stumped :( **UPDATE**
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2014, 11:07:45 pm »
Right,

I think I am homing in on the culprit for my battery drain!

I have a suspicion that it could be the factory fitted onboard anti theft siren... I was wondering has anyone had any problems with Battery Drain and a Factory Fitted Onboard Anti Theft Siren??????

Thanks
Craigh

Offline MJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2014, 11:10:27 pm »
Right,

I have a suspicion that it could be the factory fitted onboard anti theft siren... I was wondering has anyone had any problems with Battery Drain and a Factory Fitted Onboard Anti Theft Siren??????

Thanks
Craigh

You mean the same one I; A. Suggested about 5 pages back B. Also had problems with and C. Other members have also commented on? Yes.
2005 VW Bora TDI 130 Highline auto. Current mods: 5.5lt washer bottle & black and aluminium A/C knobs & 312mm front brakes and 256mm vented rear brakes.
Next: turborevs SMIC, 20vt pancake pipe and silicone connectors.

VCDS, ODIS, VAS - PC and multi brand diagnostics around Manchester - pm me for help and advice

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2014, 11:18:09 pm »
Right,

Thanks
Craigh

Does the siren work? Can cause issues when they go faulty. Mine is f*cked, and I get a drain on the tiny battery I use.  Had a replacement siren to fit for well over 8 months, just an arse to fit.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2014, 11:21:56 pm »
A friend at work has a battery drain on his b6 passat, it's his alarm siren.
wing off job to replace.

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2014, 11:24:18 pm »
Right,

Thanks
Craigh

You mean the same one I; A. Suggested about 5 pages back B. Also had problems with and C. Other members have also commented on? Yes.

Yea sorry mate. I forgot you mentioned that. I am getting lost with all the replies and I am trying to make sense of it all when I have no knowledge about this kinda stuff.

So the alarm horn you mentioned, is that the same as the factory fitted onboard siren?
Sometimes when I turn the engine off and take the key out... I hear a high pitch noise which lasts a few seconds. It's not really loud like I would expect an alarm to be but I can definitely hear it. I also heard it earlier too when pulling out a few fuses and then putting them back in.

Offline MJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2014, 11:27:00 pm »
Right,

Thanks
Craigh

Does the siren work? Can cause issues when they go faulty. Mine is f*cked, and I get a drain on the tiny battery I use.  Had a replacement siren to fit for well over 8 months, just an arse to fit.

8 t25 torx screws to remove

1 x drill bit
1 x cordless drill
1 x dose of hand-fistedness

And you're all good to go!

Surprised you've still got your arch liners on Alex, saving weight and all. They can hoard a lot of crap in them!
2005 VW Bora TDI 130 Highline auto. Current mods: 5.5lt washer bottle & black and aluminium A/C knobs & 312mm front brakes and 256mm vented rear brakes.

VCDS, ODIS, VAS - PC and multi brand diagnostics around Manchester - pm me for help and advice

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2014, 11:27:31 pm »
Right,

Thanks
Craigh

Does the siren work? Can cause issues when they go faulty. Mine is f*cked, and I get a drain on the tiny battery I use.  Had a replacement siren to fit for well over 8 months, just an arse to fit.

I'm not too sure to be honest mate. If I try to set the alarm off on purpose the indicators flash but there is no sound what so ever. Never has been.
But I do know that I hear a faint high pitch sound every now and again sometimes when I stop driving and turn the engine off. Not sure if that is normal or not.

I can also hear a very faint clicking coming from the engine fuse box from the big black fuse in there that says 100 on it. It sounds like a watch ticking but very fast. It does however stop after a while. Again not too sure if this is normal or not.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:38:03 pm by Craigh1983 »

Offline MJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2014, 11:35:15 pm »
B6 passats its under the scuttle trim at the back, near the battery.

It lives under the plastic arch liner in the drivers side. It's a stand alone alarm siren for the anti theft system and has a built in battery that draws charge from the main battery. If it's not working then you'll get no audible feedback when you trigger the alarm.

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2014, 11:41:44 pm »
B6 passats its under the scuttle trim at the back, near the battery.

It lives under the plastic arch liner in the drivers side. It's a stand alone alarm siren for the anti theft system and has a built in battery that draws charge from the main battery. If it's not working then you'll get no audible feedback when you trigger the alarm.

So do these cars have a main alarm siren and an onboard siren? Or is it just the one.

I know they have one of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-MK5-GTI-TDI-TOURAN-JETTA-ALARM-MODULE-1K0-951-605-C-AUDI-A3-8P-/291118033729?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43c7fcab41
but I didn't know if that was classed as an onboard alarm.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:43:37 pm by Craigh1983 »

Offline MJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2014, 11:42:32 pm »
Just the one

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2014, 11:48:27 pm »
And is the clicking from the black 100 fuse in the engine bay fuse box normal? its ticking quite fast but you can defo hear it if you put your ear to it.

Offline MJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2014, 11:52:48 pm »
Erratic Ticking or clicking from a relay is not usually normal but consistent or regular ticking is.

The siren would be controlled or regulated by the CCM o CEM. Usually no relay involved.

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2014, 12:01:01 am »
Erratic Ticking or clicking from a relay is not usually normal but consistent or regular ticking is.

The siren would be controlled or regulated by the CCM o CEM. Usually no relay involved.

Ah well its definitely not erratic but it is regular ticking.

So I take it if this siren is faulty, it is not letting the computer go to sleep and that's why the 6 fuses are drawing power?

Offline MJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2014, 12:06:20 am »
It's not that it doesn't let the Can bus sleep it just attempts to draw current to charge itself. The siren is a control unit in its own right and communicates via Lin bus single wire. If the master unit cannot see it then it continually sends a signal looking for it and also let's it draw current from the battery to charge itself, until the voltage stored reaches a set level. With a faulty cell this cannot be achieved, hence the drain - continuous draw.