Make a donation

Author Topic: Quick service question... TDI OIL  (Read 8507 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Quick service question... TDI OIL
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 11:42:19 am »
And now Jay resorts to deleting my posts . . .

Hey ho - I think I'm now getting to understand why many other valued former contributors have left this forum.

I didn't delete any of your posts, Sean.

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 12:09:20 pm »
How about shell av-l, made specifically with VAG for VAG?  or maybe its just a special label on the bottle  :grin:

http://moto-oil.co.uk/shell-helix-ultra-av-l-5w-30

ooh this thread exploded whilst I wasn't looking  :signLOL:
there must be someone with some comments about shell av-l for DPF cars???
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 01:00:28 pm »
I think I'll put 7 or 8 litres of LIDL's finest motor oil into my sump next time and see how she runs. :grin:
'07 Red manual

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 01:09:01 pm »
I think I'll put 7 or 8 litres of LIDL's finest motor oil into my sump next time and see how she runs. :grin:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 01:31:26 pm »
How about shell av-l, made specifically with VAG for VAG?  or maybe its just a special label on the bottle  :grin:

http://moto-oil.co.uk/shell-helix-ultra-av-l-5w-30

ooh this thread exploded whilst I wasn't looking  :signLOL:
there must be someone with some comments about shell av-l for DPF cars???

It's a well-spec'd and approved oil, from one of the bigger oil companies.  I've no personal experience of that particular brew - but have used other Shell Helix products without probs.  Shell also have a well developed bulk oil supply to main dealers too.

But I think I said earlier in the thread - you can get it cheaper at Motor Parts Direct - www.MPDonline.co.uk
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Alzak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 02:44:40 pm »

And if you intend using comments like "safe to say" - then you need to back that up with some kind of professional evidence.  Not just some hearsay from some dude who goes to the same track day - but either proper certification (by either VW or any other recognised body), or by independently verifiable engine strip-down and measurements - compared to an identical use evidence on on engine run on OEM spec oil.

Maybe common sense to you - but it is anything but common sense to me, along with the professional R&D engineers at all of the automotive manufacturers.

I agree that there may be 'better' oils.  But there is two problems - because they've not been certified, there is no independent and professionally verifiable evidence.  The other is that words like 'best' and 'better' are highly subjective - I'm sure I can find a bog roll which might be better at removing my cling-ons, but it may well rip my piles to shreds.  You might get an oil which offers slightly better wear resistance - but it may well damage your cat and worsen your fuel consumption.  One person might be happy with that trade-off, others may not - and more importantly, many may not even be aware of those potential adverse effects.

As per my above oil recommendation just because they do not carry VW oil 504/507 specification approval do not mean they can not be used in VW cars as you may know ACEA is an European body of car manufacturers and their approval is more recognizable than VW approval, ACEA C1, C2, C3 and C4 meets the same requirements as 504/507 oil specification.

If ACEA  approval is not enough evidence for you I'm not too sure what will be then ?

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 04:37:57 pm »

But I think I said earlier in the thread - you can get it cheaper at Motor Parts Direct - www.MPDonline.co.uk
[/quote]

I think that was another thread, and I asked for the link please, as i couldn't find any shell oils on that site.  :popcornsoda:

Offline Alzak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2014, 06:51:28 pm »

I think that was another thread, and I asked for the link please, as i couldn't find any shell oils on that site.  :popcornsoda:
[/quote]

Get one from Opie

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68975-shell-helix-diesel-ultra-af-l-5w-30-fully-synthetic-low-saps-engine-oil.aspx

Offline Whitt_tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2014, 07:27:37 pm »
So lots of different views and no real answer! Only reason I say is that my car is on 130k and had the long life oil in it with dpf fitted, I'm looking at removing the dpf and I want rid of the long life service intervals and oil and would like to know what to use so I can specify this to the garage, any help would be good thanks,

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2014, 07:39:40 pm »

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 10:35:08 am »

Get one from Opie

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68975-shell-helix-diesel-ultra-af-l-5w-30-fully-synthetic-low-saps-engine-oil.aspx
[/quote]
That's af-l for fords. VAG's need av-l , opie won't stock it saying its the same as shell-helix-diesel-ultra but that's £45ish.

Just stick with the longlife oil as its the best spec 507.00, buy Quantum III as its only £25ish

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 02:39:56 pm »
Well this escalated quickly :o

I found my answer after the first two posts, and actually I don't understand half of what you guys are talking about lol - didn't realise oil could cause so much controversy.  :laugh:

Usually I wouldn't get involved but seeing as its my post I will - I am up for a laugh and bit of banter alike the next person but some of the attitude towards one another on this thread is quite frankly appalling; we are all like minded people with an interest in finding/offering support so lets all take it down a level and be friends! - simple. :drinking:

On another note, thanks for trying to help which I'm sure was the initial agenda.

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 02:55:30 pm »
all friends I'm sure :drinking:.................... :driver: