Make a donation

Author Topic: Airbag Sensor Location?  (Read 17522 times)

Offline Ollie.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
Airbag Sensor Location?
« on: April 08, 2014, 07:47:16 pm »
The airbag fault light has came on, on my car. It says something like front nearside sensor upper limit exceeded. I had a bit of a bump and I think it's damaged the sensor as the fault light can't be turned off at the moment.

Does anyone know where the sensor is? Either behind the wing or around the headlight? I know it's not the one in the door.

Also which type or sensor is it? As I want to get it replaced pretty quickly.

I've had a good look around online and though my Haynes Manual but I can't find anything conclusive.

Any help if very much appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Airbag Sensor Location?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:15:07 pm »
Remove the front bumper, the front crash sensors are usually near the headlamps.

Oh and forget the Haynes Book of Lies . . . have you looked at the appropriate factory manual as listed in my sticky thread in the Technical section of the forum?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 11:49:58 pm »
What's the ACTUAL fault code.

Offline Ollie.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:50:22 pm »
I have had a look though quite a few of the manuals on your thread. Although I still haven't managed to find it. I may have missed it, It would be one by the headlight because thats the exact part of the car that got hit.

Have you got any idea which type of sensor it could be?

I think this is the type they use in the doors.

And this type is the only other one I can seem to find.

Cheers, Ollie

Offline Ollie.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:54:49 pm »
What's the ACTUAL fault code.

I don't have it to hand. I got the chap at the garage to try and clear it earlier. The car has been repaired, as it was a very minor bump. But it won't clear because it must have damaged the sensor.

It definitely said upper limit exceeded. And that it was the front passenger sensor. But I can't remember what the correct term for the position of the sensor was and I didn't write the fault code down.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »
Ollie, the two in those pictures are for side impact detection.  One type is used inside the doors, the other is used at the bottom of the 'C pillar' (remove the rear seat butt rest, and you can see them near the outer seat belt lower anchor).

The front ones have a yellow colour and IIRC, they are inside the black composite bonnet slam panel / lock carrier - near to the radiator pack mounting points (it was a long time ago I stripped off the front end on mine).

I'll try to update the workshop manual post, and have a shufty to see if I can find any helpful pages.  :smiley:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:29 pm »
according to the air bag wiring diagrams for a 2008 car there are only 4 crash sensors, 2 in front doors, 2 under back seat there are no more external crash sensors.
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 08:47:05 pm »
according to the air bag wiring diagrams for a 2008 car there are only 4 crash sensors, 2 in front doors, 2 under back seat there are no more external crash sensors.
You must have missed something - maybe you are looking at the sensors which deploy the curtain and seat airbags.

There has to be two frontal sensors - else how would the steering wheel, front pax air bags, and belt tensioners be triggered?
------

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 08:49:11 pm »
its usually built into the airbag control unit, if you like i can send you the full pdf of VW's airbag wiring diagrams for you to look at

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:53:41 pm »
interestingly enough from 2005 onwards on the wiring for american cars it does indeed include crash sensors near the head lights, just not for our cars.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 10:47:05 pm »
SI - I think you are correct.  I just had a quick look on etka and whilst the pic shows front crash sensors, no part numbers are available.  I'd be interested in those wiring diags, please.  Is my e-mail addy visible in my profile?

Interesting that VW don't use external frontal crash sensors - cheapskates!

Ollie - it must be the one in the front door - if it mentions a certain side ////
------

Offline Ollie.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 11:20:03 pm »
Cheers for all the info.

Surely it must have one in the front though? The door should be fine it was a very minimal impact didn't even jolt just cracked the number underneath the light and slightly bent the wing.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
Re:
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 06:44:39 am »
No mate there really isn't one in the front unless you have an American car, the control unit will house a de acceleration sensor and a forward  crash sensor, the door ones rely on pressure for side impacts,  its very hard to pin point this without a code.

You really need get the wording of the scan or get a member with vcds to scan it, this will tell you by x checking with Ross tech website what the problem is

Offline Ollie.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 03:01:04 pm »
Oh right cheers, I'll pop by the garage after work and get them to scan it again and I'll write it all down.

If it is the one in the door I've already got another sensor at home, which will be ideal as it's quite easy to change.

Offline Ollie.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Airbag Sensor Location?
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 05:55:21 pm »
01218 side airbag passenger ignitor
Upper limit exceeded.

Is what it said. So it must be the one in the door then. Although this time when he reset it it's all gone off and now appears to be fine.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.