Make a donation

Author Topic: 'Check Brake Pad'  (Read 2225 times)

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
'Check Brake Pad'
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:11:09 pm »
I have just popped to the shop and the light came on. Ive looked at the pads and they seem like there is a lot of meat left on them. Does the warning come up early or am i in desperate need of getting them done asap?  Reason why i ask is that its booked in for a service end of the month, do you think its ok to leave it until then or shall i book it in to be done ?

Many thanks

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: 'Check Brake Pad'
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:13:57 pm »
What are the inner pads like? My outer pads seemed fine but the inners were worn.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Adam-golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • Derv!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:14:23 pm »
I had the same thing and it went out after a day. Had loads of pad left which would of lasted at least another 5k. I've bought new to replace but I think it is just an early warning

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 09:13:22 am »
I have just popped to the shop and the light came on. Ive looked at the pads and they seem like there is a lot of meat left on them. Does the warning come up early or am i in desperate need of getting them done asap?  Reason why i ask is that its booked in for a service end of the month, do you think its ok to leave it until then or shall i book it in to be done ?

As others have said - check your inner pads - as the wear sensor is only on one of the inner pads.

And do NOT let a VW stealer change your discs and pads - either do them yourself, or get a trusted indpendent to do it for you.

Oh, and you do get a reasonable warning - so no need to 'panic'.  However, depending on where you get your car serviced, if you take it to a VW garage, with worn pads (especially if the light is on), they will mark it on your service history (which may then appear to future purchasers of your car that you didn't care about maintenance) - or in the worst case, they'll use very 'hard sell' tactics on you to make you authorise them to change them.  It is not unknown for stealers to state your car is 'dangerous', and even try to deny you the keys - stating it would be 'illegal' to drive on the road!  :fighting:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:15:20 am »
What are the inner pads like? My outer pads seemed fine but the inners were worn.

That's because whoever changed them previously didn't do a proper job - no doubt they completely failed to clean and re-lube the caliper slides.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~