Make a donation

Author Topic: Van boys!  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Van boys!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 12:09:12 pm »
Transit crash-worthiness is nowhere near as good as the T5 or Vito.  You'll loose your legs in crash in a Transit, compared to the same type of crash in the T5 or Vito.

The Vivaros (along with their French/Jap re-badged eqiuvalents) rust, and bits break off them.

Vitos go like stink!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Action jackson

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:42 pm »
The new transit is the only van with a euro ncap rating of 5 stars.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 01:44:08 pm »

The EuroNCAP ratings need to be read and interpreted within the context which they are tested for.  Crashing in a laboratory into a specially desgned honeycomb block at 35mph is massively different to smashing into a concrete bridge parapet or the back of a 44tonne rigid at 70mph.  Do the latter in a Ford - any Ford, and your next journey will be in a black zip-up bag to meet your wooden overcoat.  In many German cars - that is a survivable accident.

At one particular county in eastern england - during 2013 - EVERY fatality was someone in a Ford - betcha Ford don't wanna publicise that stat!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 03:58:47 pm »
New Ford Transit  :happy2:

+1. Did you see last week's Fifth Gear Team Test? It scored 36 and a 1/2 out of 40, and goes round corners on rails!!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline zubi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 04:51:45 pm »

+1. Did you see last week's Fifth Gear Team Test? It scored 36 and a 1/2 out of 40, and goes round corners on rails!!

We took it out for a test drive - its horrible to drive and the cabin is soo cramped hence it didnt make it onto the shortlist

Saintsteve

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 06:39:12 pm »

:congrats: :congrats:

Spot on
Transit crash-worthiness is nowhere near as good as the T5 or Vito.  You'll loose your legs in crash in a Transit, compared to the same type of crash in the T5 or Vito.

The Vivaros (along with their French/Jap re-badged eqiuvalents) rust, and bits break off them.

Vitos go like stink!

That's wrong.. :confused:

New transit is far better. If you buy a T5, brace yourself if something goes wrong out of warranty, they are notorious for turbo issues on a lot of the transporters.. Ask any AA or RAC if it's common  :wink:

We took it out for a test drive - its horrible to drive and the cabin is soo cramped hence it didnt make it onto the shortlist

I'm surprised about that, the transporter drives more like a Van, the Vivaro and transit are more similar driving feel to a car ...sort of thing..

I preferred driving for comfort my old vivaro's over the current T28 I have, except the transporter has all the toys which makes it better for me to live with day to day.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:42:45 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline GTD

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 08:15:12 pm »
I had a T28 102 for just over 3 years covering over 75k and it was faultless. I never even had to replace the rear tyres! The only problem (if you can call it that) was the lack of toys, everything was an extra so I was stuck poverty spec plus bulkhead and bluetooth.

I've just taken delivery of a Transit Custom limited 125 and it is loaded! It has everything except nav including heated seats, cruise, air con, dab' media streaming, heated screen, electric folding mirrors etc so to that end it's a fabulous place to be. It seems quite high geared but it doesn't bother me that much. That said, I wouldnt have hesitated in taking another Transporter (with a higher spec)

HTH  :driver:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 09:58:38 pm »
We are running around 15 vans at the minute (Building Company) and have probably had 30 others before them over the years

Every single one has been a Transit, wouldn't buy anything else for the lads to drive. Cope really well with the hammer they get

For an owner driver, my mate is an engineer for Coca Cola and has a 61 Plate Transporter and it's a lovely van but not without its issues, as was his previous Vivaro (gearbox in both)
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 12:59:29 am »
We've got a SWB 06 Transporter with 52,000 on the clock. Even though it's not done anything yet, the only thing it's ever needed is new tyres. The van is brilliant and hasn't ever caused any problems. However, when we bought ours four years ago the neighbour bought a 57 Vito with 31,000 on the clock at the same time. His van has around 75,000 on the clock now and can safely be said to be a rust bucket. He regrets buying it big time.
Aye, that wan.

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 01:50:26 am »
I would get a tranny all day everyday. When I worked for london underground all there vans were transits and they have circa 2000 vans

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Regards,

Mike