Make a donation

Author Topic: Springs over coilovers  (Read 1326 times)

Offline mk_boy85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Springs over coilovers
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:33:20 am »
I'm toying with buying some either springs or coilovers. ATM I'll be budgeting so do I buy cheapish coilover or springs ????

Here's my options

Fk street coilovers
Eibach pro line springs
Tein lowering springs.

I want an application that looks good and performs well. Any feedback on these products or pictures would be even better. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Springs over coilovers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:24:09 am »
If you would be satisfied with the stance of Eibach proline springs...why the interest in coils?
Eibach sportlines are their lowest drop rate springs.
You'd be looking at also adding dampers made for lowered cars if you drop it that low. Though, not with the proline springs. Teins are also a drop that would require suited dampers. You can continue to run your oem dampers until they begin to leak, and they will eventually, but you may want to consider reducing the cost by installing the suited dampers at the same time you do the springs...as you will be there anyhow. If you have corrosion issues...cheap coils with lesser quality and warranty would be throwing money away.

You can get performance from both springs/dampers and coils as the gti really isn't a true coilover in the rear. It is adjustable, but does not relocate the spring out to the damper location. So you really need to decide for yourself if you would be satisfied with the stance of springs, or if you want to go lower with coils. Then all that is left to decide on is quality.  :drinking:

I have H&R supersport springs, Bilstein B8 dampers, but I have spring adjusters and coilover springs in the back....sort of a Frankenspension. I have run Eibach sprotlines with oem dampers, H&R supersports with both oem and B8 dampers, and the current Frankenspension. Eibach sportlines were the most comfortable, but the current set-up outperforms all of the previous ones I had on the car to date.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:31:49 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:03:22 pm »
I'm toying with buying some either springs or coilovers. ATM I'll be budgeting so do I buy cheapish coilover or springs ????

Here's my options

Fk street coilovers
Eibach pro line springs
Tein lowering springs.

I want an application that looks good and performs well. Any feedback on these products or pictures would be even better. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whats your budget?

Offline JCWT

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:05:34 pm »
Personally, don't get either unless you want a crashy harsh ride.

FK coilovers may be ok on a corsa trying to achieve stance.

Springs will ruin the ride to the point a VW starts to rattle!

IMHO, get a decent set of coilovers first time.

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:08:05 pm »
Personally, don't get either unless you want a crashy harsh ride

IMHO, get a decent set of coilovers first time.

+1

H&R coilovers are very good. They're almost the ride quality of stock but can go lower. So you can get your perfect ride height.

Coincidentally I'm selling some  :happy2:

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:27:58 pm »
Thought you already had coilys mate?
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP