Make a donation

Author Topic: Holiday / Roadtrip Advice  (Read 3224 times)

Offline south

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Holiday / Roadtrip Advice
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 10:06:53 am »
Young lads. Got to be Newquay.

Fin.

such a god awful town, proper blight on the surrounding countryside... went last summer for a week and it's not even good for a piss up any more

Offline Karl_mac_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 02:05:08 pm »
Bo Ness in the lake district

Dorset

Even a drive up to Whitby has some excellent roads around north yorks.

Evo triangle in wales is good too.
VW Golf GTi DSG2.0 TFSI : DSG : BBS LM : Blueflame exhaust : Pipercross Venom Induction : Eibach Springs
VW Lupo1.4l : Automatic : White : Stickers.

Offline LiamGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 08:34:02 pm »
Just bumping this as were having a good chat about it over the Bank Holiday weekend with a few beers.

Whats peoples thoughts on:

Abersoch
Newquay
St Ives
Torquay
Isle Of Wight
Isle of Man

Thanks

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 08:54:53 pm »
I can only offer a little experience at Abersoch and the IOW, little more on the IOM and nothing at all on the others as i've never been  :smiley:

Abersoch - Only ever been for days out as it's only a 2 hour drive for me, lovely place and obviously got a lot of cash floating around as it's Range rover heaven pulling jetskis/boats in the summer lol, great beach and a real nice feel to the place if heading to the wrong side of trendy soon perhaps?

IOW - spent a week in July there 3 years ago, super laid back place with some lovely beaches, great eateries around Ryde harbour area but as a whole it seemed a very relaxed place even in the height of summer, more of a couples get away from it all or take the kids to the beach type of place rather than a lads holiday though?

IOM - Been a few times now and love the place, the people, and the lack of a speed limited in NSL zones  :grin:
Again some lovely beaches and awesome scenery, super friendly people and some surprisingly good eateries and drinking holes dotted around, can be expensive to get over there although we've always found accomodation and eating out etc to be very reasonable, didnt find much in the way of nightlife though but to be honest i'm always keen to get up early and grab a lap of the TT course before breakfast  :smiley:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline LiamGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:03 pm »
Im certainly liking your thinking on the IOM! That was an attraction to IOM if I'm honest purely because th lads going are all car mad!

Abersoch was a last minute thought, I'll do more research into this!

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:40 pm »
IOM is a great petrolhead destination! So many great roads and as long as you safe whilst doing so there's no speed limit in a NSL zone, first time i went over i got off the ferry and could see our hotel 400Yds to our right on Douglas Promenade, so i did what anyone would do and turned left and did a lap of the TT course to get to it instead  :grin:
Got behind a local in a mk3 gti and struggled to keep with him in my mapped ed30 lol! Whilst stopped at the Bungalow on the mountain got offered out to a race by a crazy local in a stripped out 1 seat Punto GT turbo, i declined so after a chat about cars and the best place to get a curry in Douglas he heard a bike coming up the mountain so jumped in to chase after it as it passed haha!
Took a jump waaaay too fast and thought i'd snapped the car in half, got waved past by a Police Galaxy going over the mountain whilst already doing a ton, got absolutely smashed in an awesome curry house in Douglas and took our desserts onto the beach to watch the sun go down, went dolphin and whale watching at the calf of man and got to see scenery that represents every corner of the UK all packed into a tiny island, lovely place!  :happy2:

If you do go, head to magnetic hill and watch your car roll uphill!

Offline LiamGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 09:57:13 pm »
If Im honest you're starting to sell IOM to me, It sounds great fun and Im almost thinking how have I not already been! Where do you get the Ferry from?

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 10:17:15 pm »
We have always gone over on the Fastcraft via Liverpool (2h 45m) but you can get the regular ferry from Heysham that takes around 3h45m iirc
There's loads of info on the net for short trips to the IOM so you'll definitely be able to get a feel for whether it's the sort of place that'll make everyone in the group happy  :smiley:

The Manx Classic rally is on the 24th-26th of this month, I've been over when it's on and we touched lucky with some fantastic weather so myself and the wife went up to the mountain to do some spectating and sunbathing lol
The TT will be starting with practice week around 24th of May and the whole island and ferries will be booked solid but it's an amazing experience and one hell of a party if you can bag some last minute crossings and get a camping pitch!  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:21 am »
Just bumping this as were having a good chat about it over the Bank Holiday weekend with a few beers.

Whats peoples thoughts on:

Abersoch - Nice but full of Cheshire set Ra-Ra's (Daddy has a Porsche dont you know!), we have been going there for years as my mate has a chalet there, we definately buck the Ra-Ra's trend  :grin:
Newquay - Shi$hole! if you want to get hammered every night and have a fight in a kebab shop you will enjoy it  :sick:
St Ives - Beautiful place but think you need to be in the 40's+ to appreciate it fully (I live there myself and am 41  :grin:) although it is full of young small blondes (unfortunately I like Tall Brunettes!  :love:)
Torquay - heard good things about the place
Isle Of Wight,- sorry cant help only been once and dont remember it at all!
Isle of Man -would only go when the TT is on, its awesome!

Thanks

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:16:15 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:56 am »
I can only offer a little experience at Abersoch and the IOW, little more on the IOM and nothing at all on the others as i've never been  :smiley:

IOM - Been a few times now and love the place, the people, and the lack of a speed limited in NSL zones  :grin:
Again some lovely beaches and awesome scenery, super friendly people and some surprisingly good eateries and drinking holes dotted around, can be expensive to get over there although we've always found accomodation and eating out etc to be very reasonable, didnt find much in the way of nightlife though but to be honest i'm always keen to get up early and grab a lap of the TT course before breakfast  :smiley:

It's a great feeling thrashing an M3CSL over the mountain roads chasing your mate (who is the owner of the M3CSL) on his Ducati R  :grin:

The Night club in the Hilton used to get pretty lively during TT week, but we stay in Port Erin (Lovely place) and the local pub down by the sea gets pretty lively with live bands during TT week.

Steam packet is the ferry company, as Beddie said, Heysham or Liverpool (we have done both)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:17:39 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline kris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 12:38:03 pm »
I'd say Scotland for the driving & views aspect. May not be the warmest of places but I'd day you can't beat the roads for sheer driving fun  :driver:

Cracking drive up the west coast, Isle of Skye, up into the Highlands. I've done it before over a couple of days and found a few decent b&b's. Drop me a PM if you want details

Cheers