Make a donation

Author Topic: Handling issues  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Handling issues
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 07:05:15 am »
Tyre pressures are at manufactures specs.
Vehicle manufacturer or tyre manufacturer?  I'm lead to believe that Vreds need a slightly higher pressure compared to say Mich or Conti.  Try adding 4-6psi to OEM pressures - and use your own tyre pressure guage, checking them when cold.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Leonpettit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 9
  • 2008 Edition 30 DSG - No.1706
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89470.msg905534.html#msg905534
Re:
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 06:38:48 pm »
Vehicle manufacturer. Why do you say that? Could you provide a link which confirms this?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Mods coming soon...

Offline Leonpettit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89470.msg905534.html#msg905534
Re:
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 06:39:20 pm »
I've managed to get it sorted now anyway. But wouldn't mind knowing about the vreds

Mods coming soon...

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
Re:
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 11:10:10 pm »
Vehicle manufacturer. Why do you say that? Could you provide a link which confirms this?
Vehicle manufacturers will only create recommended tyre pressures for only those tyres which they factory fit.  So in the case of the Mk5 GTI, that would be Michelin, Continental and Dunflop.  Vehicle manufacturers have no responsibility to create tyre pressure settings for non-standard or non-OEM tyres - and it is well known within the tyre industry that when changing to different tyres, advise should be sought from the tyre manufacturer.

I got no links, but a few peeps on this and other forums who used Vreds reported needing to raise tyre pressures.  The search function should hopefully provide more info, otherwise Google Vred UK technical and fone them.

Oh, another crucial question - are your Vreds the correct load index - they should be marked XL on the sidewall.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:00 pm »
I run my Sessantas at 36 PSI and they seem good at that.

Offline Leonpettit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re:
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 06:47:45 am »
Yeah, the vreds are the correct load index. Had a quick Google and it seems very subjective, as vredestein quote the max load pressure on their website. Cheers jay, I might try them up 2psi.

Mods coming soon...

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 08:50:45 pm »
PM Hurdy, as John was one of the early adopters on this forum of the Vreds.  Maybe he can give you a heads up.

In all honesty, I doubt that you'd notice a difference with just a 2psi change.  You can't do any damage by over-inflating tyres.
------

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 10:11:42 pm »
PM Hurdy, as John was one of the early adopters on this forum of the Vreds.  Maybe he can give you a heads up.

In all honesty, I doubt that you'd notice a difference with just a 2psi change.  You can't do any damage by over-inflating tyres.

2 PSI over no - but overinflating tyres in general can cause poor wear patterns, bursting from over inflation... more liable to pot hole damage, less grip due to higher pressures...

I think 36 PSI is the maximum I would want to run these particular tyres on a Golf.

Offline Leonpettit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re:
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 10:15:29 pm »
Yeah I know what you mean. When they quoted 49psi for the rear fully loaded just seemed ridiculous. Isn't the max 50psi on vreds

Mods coming soon...

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 11:08:54 pm »

2 PSI over no - but overinflating tyres in general can cause poor wear patterns, bursting from over inflation... more liable to pot hole damage, less grip due to higher pressures...
Urban myth.  Sorry, but on decent tyres, you will NOT get any of those scenarios you state from over-inflation.

I've personally been running pressures much higher than those recommended for over thirty years.  It suits my driving style, and for every vehicle I own, I always experiment with tyre pressures to tune the handling characteristics to the way I drive.  It doesn't matter if they are front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, four wheel drive or one wheel drive - I tweak em all.  And crucially, I'll re-adjust pressures if/when I fit different tyres.

My GTI runs 35psi on the rear, 44psi up front - and I never get adverse wear patterns, never had a burst tyre, never had problems with grip or traction, never had damage from pot holes.  The only down-side of higher pressures is very slightly less comfort, an advantage is better fuel economy.

Other cars I've run tyres at 60 psi (granted, they were either Pirhelli, or Courier [made by Pirhelli]).

Other vehicles I use have pressures of 90psi and 130psi - none go pop!

I think 36 PSI is the maximum I would want to run these particular tyres on a Golf.
You're out on your own re the Vreds - many folks need to run them at 40+ psi.
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
Re:
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 11:11:26 pm »
When they quoted 49psi for the rear fully loaded just seemed ridiculous.
Why?  Why are folks worried about higher tyre pressures?

Isn't the max 50psi on vreds
Nope - unless you are across the pond.
------

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 10:19:12 am »
 i ran pirelli p6000 tyres on my golf for the last two years, the backs were fine but it wore through 2 new pairs in 11,000 miles on the front, always wearing the tyres off evenly, and imo they weren't nothing flash in terms of grip, and were a little worse in the wet, put it this way i replaced them in november for winter tyres (just cheapish ones ) and it's so much better in terms of wear and grip.