Make a donation

Author Topic: Any Apple experts....?  (Read 808 times)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
Any Apple experts....?
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:22 pm »
Hi

Right, I have a MacBook and am thinking of also going over to iPhone, and have a few queries.....

I would really like to sync the two devices. How is this best approached in respect of tasks, calendar, contacts, photos etc?

The main thing I would like to get sorted from the off is the Mail. I have a Plusnet account, and would like to somehow sync these, do emails sent from one device shows on the other etc. Is IMAP the best way to go, and if so, any tips on setting up mailboxes?

Thanks very much

Offline V2 FAN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
  • Porsche 911 inbound
Re: Any Apple experts....?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:38:24 pm »
Book an appointment at the Genius Bar, certainly worth it and they will show you all the tips and tricks.

I have no experience with Plusnet however I have had no issues connecting to other mail providers etc including my work email server.

Photos etc are transferred across with iPhoto and iTunes, it's a really simple transition and much less complicated than using a windoooooze or android device.

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 01:15:47 am »
IMAP for email.
 Icloud for contacts/cal and such.

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 05:45:01 am »
Thanks - I had a go at setting up IMAP, but got concerned about the extra mailboxes created in the Mail application on my Mac!  Seem to recall some under the heading of my email address, others under the heading of 'My Mac'?  So promptly went back to POP! Any guidance? Thanks

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:58:21 am »
Sorry, another query - just in case my ISP deletes my emails after a certain time, how would I set up my Mac to also store my emails locally? Some form of archiving? Thanks

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:05:22 am »
Because IMAP doesn't technically store emails locally it will split your imap account from locally stored mail on "my mac" Dont worry about it.

I'll be honest its been a while since I have shifted around mac mail, cant recall a archive option, someone with mac mail or yourself im sure can just nip into settings and see if its possible.

Nothing is stopping you dragging mail from an IMAP folder into a folder under the "my mac" section.

Offline south

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:37 am »
icloud will cover most of your syncing and is pretty much seamless. Can't advise on the mail front as I only use webmail these days (and use the gmail app).

If you predominately use itunes to play your music, at £21 a year itunes match is a great service. Think of it as spotify but only with music you've uploaded/purchased yourself. I use it to play music on 2 imacs a laptop and my phone (for the car)... trying to keep each of those libraries updated on their own would be a nightmare!