Make a donation

Author Topic: Help!!! Struggling is my compound good enough?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline magicgilbert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Help!!! Struggling is my compound good enough?
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:44:50 pm »
I'm using my dodo juice polisher for the 1st time and I'm using meguiars ultimate compound but I'm struggling to get rid of the scratches on my bonnet, they don't feel deep by finger nail and I'm apply medium pressure...

Cheers
Torando Red ED30 num:1913 with stage 1 @ 296bhp

Offline magicgilbert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Help!!! Struggling is my compound good enough?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 05:56:46 pm »
Is there a thing a using to much compound and me being over worried about burning my paint :-/

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 06:18:37 pm »
Yes there is... on a new pad being used for the first time if it's a DA put 6 dots about the size of a pea equally over the pad if it's a rotary put 3 dots..

too much product will produce poor results and do more harm than good.
if you're not experienced then read some guides and watch videos .

Offline magicgilbert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 06:26:26 pm »
I think I am using to much compound... Iv got the dodo juice daddy, iv read and watched a few but think I'll leave it at work and go back to the drawing board and read up some more and watch videos. try again tomorrow, just don't seem to be getting any out :-(

Cheers for the advise mate  :happy2:

Offline magicgilbert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 09:31:04 pm »
 Well in the end I just used the DA to polish the car to get the practice of using it, carnt see what I was doing wrong so more homework needed, certainly not as easy as I thought to get the results I wanted, although the side I did looked better than the other side, I wasn't using the DA to its full potential. Bit disappointing after a 10 hour day of work but not a complete waste.

Offline Pete-r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:59:48 pm »
You want to be machining the car with a layer of polish thin enough to make it almost disappear after a couple of passes to a glaze. If it's too thick your not really cutting the clear coat.

On a new or washed pad I normally put some polish on my finger and spread it into the pad especially around the edges where the pad speed is greatest and it's easy to push against a curve or crease in the body. That way you avoid dry spots of pad touching the car. Then I go with 3/4 drops the size of pea as normal.

You haven't mentioned whether your using a paint depth gauge or not. If your not using one I would stop further compounding. You can chase scratches but at some point you'll run out of lacquer and be stuffed...

Offline magicgilbert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:44:03 pm »
Cheers PETE-R, I haven't got a paint gauge so I'll invest in one off those. I think I was using to much compound, I did use my finger to coat the pad 1st so no dry parts of it. I didn't feel the scratches with my nail but they just Wundt  seem to come out and didn't want to keep going over and over causing more damage. I'll do a lot more research before my next attempt

Offline Hevoshullu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 08:53:10 am »
If you're using a dual action orbital polisher (which I think the Dodo Juice machine is?) there is little to no chance whatsoever to get through and damage the VAG paint which is generally quite hard. You know, if you put on too much pressure on the pad, the pad will just stop rotating and therefore works as a fail-safe from damaging your paint. That's why these DA machines are good and safe for first timers. It's the rotary polishers that will damage your paint with heavy compounds if not used correctly (however even the rotaries aren't as dangerous as the internet makes you believe they are).

As for your issue of not getting any correction done it might be due to a too weak combination of pads and compound. If you're polishing a VAG paint with a DA you would usually need a pad like orange Hex-logic from Chemical Guys (or sth else with equivalent cut properties) and a compound like Megs 105, Menzerna PF2500 or Scholl S17. These combinations used with a DA will provide some correction (not 100%) with hard work and also have good refining qualities when used with a DA so you can do the polishing process as 1-stepper.

Work in small areas and do not be afraid to put on pressure on your DA, but make sure the pad doesn't stop spinning as then you would be putting on too much pressure. Also remember to prime your fresh pad thoroughly with compound (spread compound all over the pad evenly) and after that add a few (2-4 depending on pad size) pea-sized drops of "working" compound on the pad for each area that you work on.

Offline magicgilbert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 09:00:15 pm »
Top advise, cheers mate, I'll change my compound and get a new pad, feel a lot more confident now  :smiley:

Offline Hevoshullu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:50 pm »
Top advise, cheers mate, I'll change my compound and get a new pad, feel a lot more confident now  :smiley:

Happy to help. :) I'm afraid though if you have the Dodo Juice Buff Daddy polisher (which is in essence the 500 watt DAS-6 machine) it will be really slow to get proper results on your VW, especially if you have more severe swirling than just the basic light haze from washing. However, I'm sure you will start to see a difference once you get the hang of it. I definitely recommend using a proper compound and pad with your machine.