Make a donation

Author Topic: Car Finance  (Read 856 times)

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Car Finance
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:52:55 am »
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend get finance to buy a VW Polo. They've been offered an interest rate of 5.88% APR which I didn't think sounded too bad, is this about the standard rate?

The car is for sale at a private dealer, but I'm not sure who the finance company is

Thanks

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: Car Finance
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:58 am »
It's not 'that' bad a rate for car finance imo , yeah you could get a personal loan for 4.9% but that would depend on circumstances and amount borrowed so I'd be happy with that rate from a smaller dealer  :happy2:
More importantly I'd double check that the 5.88% offered is definitely the APR rate and not flat rate, some dealers when asked what the % interest rate is have been known to quote flat rate which is a lot different in real percentage terms to APR, Seat main dealer did exactly that to my cousin a few weeks back so definitely check on that point...

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:29:16 pm »
Thanks Beddie  :happy2:

Offline Bazgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:18:16 pm »
It's not 'that' bad a rate for car finance imo , yeah you could get a personal loan for 4.9% but that would depend on circumstances and amount borrowed so I'd be happy with that rate from a smaller dealer  :happy2:
More importantly I'd double check that the 5.88% offered is definitely the APR rate and not flat rate, some dealers when asked what the % interest rate is have been known to quote flat rate which is a lot different in real percentage terms to APR, Seat main dealer did exactly that to my cousin a few weeks back so definitely check on that point...

What beddie says.... Flat rate is usually half of an APR. So if it's 5.88 flat it's essentially 12% APR. Has he been quoted a payment? I can tell by that which it is if you know.

Offline Stevepd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:40:40 pm »
Don't forget to negotiate on the rate they do have room for manoeuvre or get the admin fee paid. Many buyers fail to ask as it's not common knowledge.
Standard 5 Door Shadow blue.