Make a donation

Author Topic: THE "SWEET" SPOT  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
THE "SWEET" SPOT
« on: December 08, 2008, 03:32:14 pm »
I've been wondering this for a while now.

The GTI/Edition 30 must have certain "sweet" spots when it comes to modifying. For ages journo's and testers have said that any more than 200bhp on a FWD car is wasted, but now we are getting cars with 280+bhp as standard with FWD, so where is the sweet spot now?

My car as standard was great - and then I remapped it - great! but was it at the sweet spot - I doubt it.

So modding the brakes, suspension, induction, exhaust etc has now brought it closer to the sweet spot than I thought it could, maybe a Quaife will hit the nail on the head - we'll see.

Where do you all think the sweet spot is 200bhp/207lbft, 230bhp and 227lbft, 250bhp and 280+lbft, 300bhp and 300lbft, 330bhp and 330lbft or more and if you had a definitive list of top mods (besides 4WD :wink:) what would they be?
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: THE "SWEET" SPOT
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:20:10 pm »

Cool topic! :happy2:

I guess that you only find "The Sweet Spot" when you have finished modding!!

Personally, I think I'm at that sweet spot - But each of us will have different sweet spots (just as we each fancy different women/men).
4WD in a Golf doesn't really do it for me but is important for you because you love the strip.

^ DragStrip Princess ^

A Quaife isn't quattro but it's yet another of those mods which makes a difference and together, all your mods create your own sweet spot.

Around 250 bhp / 300 ft lb is my ideal power, especially for the UK.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:35:50 pm »
my last run was 251/286 and it felt perfect then.

but with the added ic it pulls alot more so now i think im at my sweet spot,

but im sure if i added a tbe in a few months time then id say that was my sweetspot.

its constantly increasing whilst you get used to any added bhp.

so im gonna say 260/290 (which i predict im at) but its important not to chase numbers and enjoy your car as it is  :innocent:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 05:21:21 pm »
Good topic,

Personally, I have absolutely no desire to make my car go any faster than it is now @ 245/280. For a few hundred quids worth of Bluefin it was a no-brainer... but the endless pursuit of power from that point onwards equals big bucks for little gain IMO.

For my needs, which are handling orientated, I think I have the balance right. It's faster than stock and with a few choice mods, it has a beautifully neutral balance, much better grip/traction and virtually no torque steer. It just needs brakes!!

All that said, I would love a go in a well set up 300+ ED30 with an LSD to see what I'd have been missing if I'd have gone another route..?
Sideways yo!

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 05:28:56 pm »
I think the set-up will greatly affect what the sweet spot is.  I wont give a number but more a description on what i want (in an ideal world) from a Golf GTI.  There needs to be enough power to spin the wheels in the first 3 gears (if you have feet like lead) this will make you concentrate when driving with enthusiam and give yu a great feeling when you get it right.  To be able to adjust the feel of the car thought the corners with the throttle.  It also needs to have enough torque to make overtaking at motorway speeds interesting.  If possible i would also like a bit more of a kick at 4500rpm........

But like Joe and RR ahve already said, you will get used to the power and probable look for more  :evilgrin:
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 07:06:08 pm »
My car is far from the 'sweet spot'. Yes it's stupidly quick but I know need to spend on brakes suspension etc before I get anywhere near!
Driving well sorted standard cars like Gallardo's, F430, RS4 etc gives you an idea of how far you have to go. But as has already been stated, all of these elusive 'spots' are going to be different and one mans rubbish is another mans gold................

This debate could run and run but rarely will you get two people who agree.  :drinking: :xmastree:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 07:15:23 pm »
sweet spot for me is a question of balance......
Handling,levels of grip,power delivery (not juts outright hp),progressive braking etc

The Mk5 can easily handle >300bhp imho, without any downsides (lag etc) [Ed30 K04] , with a good spread of delivery
the problem is that the suspension/brakes and grip arent!

As tony has said I reckon remapped ED30 with brakes/suspension and LSD = the sweet spot

Hurdy I reckon youre about £1500 off the spot  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:39 pm »
I am closer to finding Mrs Top cats G spot than i am to finding the cars sweet spot.  :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 08:11:59 pm »
I am closer to finding Mrs Top Cat's G spot than i am to finding the cars sweet spot. 

....Then in fact you are doing very well! Many women say that most men don't have a clue!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 08:13:45 pm »
sweet spot for me is a question of balance......
Handling,levels of grip,power delivery (not just outright hp),progressive braking etc

....Absolutely spot on! It's a car which has a good balance and driveability. :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 08:39:30 pm »
With LSD, good set up, proper suspension, brakes, good tyres etc and a nice smooth power band I think that 350hp would be optimum..

Thats the aim with my car, club sport spec, low weight, nothing silly on the power and great drivability..

Its easy to make a car powerful, but a lot more tricky to make a car 'fast'
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 09:50:52 am »
Deffo Jonny - anyone can go fast in a straight line, thing is, we live in a twisty world!

I'm looking forward to seeing you car evolve.  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 06:17:04 pm »
I have got 330 BHP going thorugh mine with no suspension or brake modifications, in a straight line it is jaw dropping but I would hate to take it round a track! The sweet spot for me would be the power delivery of my car but with better brakes, coilovers, ARB's, anti-lift kit and a quaife. That would be perfect  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:29:40 pm »
I have dropped the race program and reverted back to pump as my car felt better on pump so i maybe there :evilgrin:
I have the right note from my exhaust and i can light the road up too :jumpmove: some suspension mods might ice the cake

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 02:28:05 pm »

^ What were you saying about "The Sweet Spot", Hurdy? ^ :evilgrin:

:happy2: