Make a donation

Author Topic: Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr so angry - advise  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr so angry - advise
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:30:31 pm »
Just changed all my brakes over.....all went well until I snapped  one of the rear
Copper brake pipes
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
Re: Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr so angry - advise
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:33:13 pm »
Any know if this pipe can be replaced easy enough ? Cost ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:01:43 pm »
Easily fixed bud, I buy the pipe in rolls and then make my own, if you can post a pic of both unions of yours and a accurate length I'll send you one in the post, but you'll then have to shape it around your old one you removed to ensure a nice neat replacement .

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:19:23 pm »
Sounds good mate only issue is I have no idea how long it is or where it goes. It runs from the rear drivers side caliper over to the other side the under  heat shield exhaust etc. right nightmare

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr so angry - advise
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 07:35:37 pm »
You can cut and join it no problem.

I bought a brake pipe flaring kit from amazon and cut and flared the existing pipe. Then I popped to my local motor factors and had them make up a length of copper pipe with fittings for about £4.

You need a joining block to connect the existing steel pipe to the new copper pipe.

Edit: these http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/360389528574

'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:44:12 pm »
Ok......so if I shoud just jut it and fix on new end?

So if DDM does me two foot with connectors, how do I out a connector on to the pipe I ave just cut?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:05:52 pm »
And is it realllly bad if all the fluid drains out the system  :scared:

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 08:24:28 pm »
Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00C3CG5Q6?pc_redir=1400091831&robot_redir=1

They specifically say not for use on steel brake pipes now. I used it to make 1 good end and broke the tool but was able to return it. (The steel brake pipe warning wasn't there when I bought it)

You won't lose much fluid. Put a food bag over the brake fluid reservoir and replace the lid to avoid fluid loss. It'll obviously need bleeding well afterwards. 

'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 08:27:33 pm »
 :happy2: thanks ppl appreciate help.

:sad1: cars hey

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 08:28:11 pm »
Make sure you work out the best place to cut the existing pipe. A nice straight section with room for a second try then get the new pipe made to the correct length.

I recommend having a practice on the bit that you've removed from your car first. It's tricky to get a perfect flare in a confined space.

Secure the copper pipe at regular intervals once it's all fitted.

'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 10:46:13 pm »
As mentioned bud you can join it, I didn't mention it as I didn't think you'd have a flaring tool, if you do and can flare the existing pipe, I'll make you a pipe with the right unions and send the correct other half in which to fit to the existing pipe before you flare it, this will then be a straight forward fix. Let me know.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:40:48 am »
Alternative point of view....

Just order the whole pipe from TPS there will be a mid line join trace it back to there, remove the heat shield (prob loose anyway) and do a proper job....

Maybe PM Alex AKS for some advice he'll probably have one on the ramp right there and then

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 10:29:13 pm »
All done  :happy2:

Replacement pipe from VW was around £30. Fitted it and got the garage to do new brake fluid and bleed the system. I have noooo idea how to do this lol

So car back on the road today with FULL ED30 front and rear brakes......not noticed any difference yet. Still bedding in.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 10:33:40 pm »
glad you got it all sorted :happy2:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 10:39:36 pm »
 :happy2: costly lesson......don't rush things!!!

Just got to get bushes arb etc done.....killing my tyres