Make a donation

Author Topic: Painting genuine vw parking sensors  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Fozzie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Painting genuine vw parking sensors
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:17:42 pm »
My vw touran has factory fitted rear parking sensors the ones that sit flush in the bumper
and have a black rubber seal around the outside.
One of them needs painting I have been told that if you buy a new one you get something to mask the black rubber ring off so when you paint it you only paint the actual sensor.
Has anyone done this or could give me any advice on painting factory fitted sensors.
Thanks

Offline denzilbud

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Painting genuine vw parking sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:57:51 pm »
You get little plastic round rings that sit in the sensor come in the kit when you buy paking sensors sprayed hundreds at work

Offline denzilbud

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 11:16:41 pm »
Give the sensor a light key and clean with panel wipe. place the little plastic ring on the sensor and give it two light coats allowing to dry fully inbetween coats making sure you cover the edge of the sensor with paint once fully dry give the sensor a light coat of clear coat with plastic rings still in place wait a coulpe of mins then another coat slightly thicker wait a couple more mins then add another coat then with tweezers remove plastic rings straight away you could remove rings after colour is dry and spray clear over whole sensor just dont build up too much clear or you could obstruct sensor

Offline Fozzie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 11:29:57 pm »
Thanks for the info can you buy the the plastic ring that you use when painting them or does it only come with a new sensor?

Offline denzilbud

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:14:52 am »
Not sure if you can buy them if you can find plastic/card tubing the same diameter as the ring on the sensor you could make your own they need to be no thicker than 2mm so they sit a little proud of face of sensor ive got loads at work if your near cambridge

Offline Fozzie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:35:43 pm »
I'm in Leicester but would like the proper thing to paint them so I get it right!