Make a donation

Author Topic: Vinyl wrap  (Read 9763 times)

Offline scarpicus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
Vinyl wrap
« on: August 04, 2009, 12:46:08 am »
Does anyone have any recommended products to use on my bonnet and roof that has been vinyl wrapped gloss black as after i wash car and wax a day later rest of car is still nice and shine but the viynl wrap is all ready dirty..
it just seems to attrack dust...
is there any think i could use to keep it nice glossy look.. :drinking:

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
Re: Vinyl wrap
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:30:03 pm »
Hi Scarpicus,

When you wax the rest of the car do you wax the vinyl as well?

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:50:13 pm »
Does anyone have any recommended products to use on my bonnet and roof that has been vinyl wrapped gloss black as after i wash car and wax a day later rest of car is still nice and shine but the viynl wrap is all ready dirty..
it just seems to attrack dust...
is there any think i could use to keep it nice glossy look.. :drinking:

WD40 works well to clean vinyl without taking the colour out of it and will buff up.. Just what they use on the race cars.. Completely up to you if you want to try it or not, dont hold me responsible if anything goes wrong.. lol..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline scarpicus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 08:07:19 pm »
Hi Scarpicus,

When you wax the rest of the car do you wax the vinyl as well?

no because product i use with is meguiars gold class liquid wax says not to use on vinyl.

is it ok to use WD40 as Jonnyc says... :happy2:

also i use meguiars gold class car wash all over the car..
is this a good product or could u reccomend any thing better ...thanks
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:10:20 pm by scarpicus »

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:41:09 pm »
Not sure Wd40 is the Best thing for Vinal as WD is an oil base liquid. They say just soap and warm clean water is best suited tbh. Raccoon reccommended that to me after my car was covered in the stuff, and not to use any sort of solutions on it.

Offline scarpicus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:21:11 pm »
Not sure Wd40 is the Best thing for Vinal as WD is an oil base liquid. They say just soap and warm clean water is best suited tbh. Raccoon reccommended that to me after my car was covered in the stuff, and not to use any sort of solutions on it.

thats what total dynamics who wrapped my car said to me as well phil but there must be a product that is safe to use on vinyl that just gives it that extra layer of protection to keep it glossy.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 03:48:09 pm »
i think perhaps some sort of Back to Black stuff woulf be ok, as thats harmless to plastics. I have used that stuff pretty regular to give a good shine, and works well.

Offline scarpicus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:52:00 pm »
i think perhaps some sort of Back to Black stuff woulf be ok, as thats harmless to plastics. I have used that stuff pretty regular to give a good shine, and works well.

something like this phil
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_159908_langId_-1_categoryId_165682

would that be ok to use

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:23:08 am »
 :congrats:
Yes mate, thats the stuff  :happy2:

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 01:44:39 pm »
Hi Scarpius,

The meguiars gold class liquid wax isn't suitable for vinyl as it contains solvents which may damage the vinyl.  Not sure about WD40, as it's not something we've ever tried.

Personally, we would simply wax the vinyl with a carnauba wax, just the same as we would the rest of the paintwork.  In order to get the best results we'd recommend using a pre-wax cleanser such as Lusso Revitalising Creme or Lime Prime Lite which will deep-clean the vinyl and prepare it to bond well with the wax.  The wax will then help to acheive that wet, glossy look you're after and will also provide a layer of protection which will help repel the dust and dirt for longer.

In terms of the shampoo - we use Lusso Auto Bathe on all of our Details and also on our own car, simply because we haven't found any better product - it suds up extremely well, the dilution ratio is great and it smells delicious! :smiley:  Having said that, if you're happy with how gold class works on your car, just keep with it as it is a good product and it does work well!

Hope this helps

Taryn and Jim :smiley:

Offline scarpicus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 05:31:38 pm »
thanks a lot for your  professional advice autoperfection really appreciate it and when my currrent stuff runs out il order the stuff you advised to use from you guys.. :happy2:

Cheers... :drinking:

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 05:57:50 pm »
No problem - always happy to help :smiley:

Offline candy turbo

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 06:52:03 pm »
dodo juice red mist is brilliant on vinyl and it s good on paint work too .......winner

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 05:22:32 pm »
dodo juice red mist is brilliant on vinyl and it s good on paint work too .......winner

Red Mist will work very well, however, it is very heavily solvent based, which could cause problems with the vinyl, so we'd suggest just going a bit careful with that one :happy2: