Make a donation

Author Topic: Hella Dark Red Tail Lights LHD to RHD Conversion  (Read 8124 times)

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Hella Dark Red Tail Lights LHD to RHD Conversion
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:50:44 am »
Hi all,

I'm sure some of you are aware of the Hella dark red (Edition 30 / R32 style) tail lights which are available on ebay. If not, these are the items in question:
LHD VW Golf MK5 5 Hella Edition 30 Dark Red Smoke Tail Lights Rear Lamp GTI R32 from goingfast_info
OR
LHD VW Golf MK5 5 Hella Edition 30 Dark Red Smoke Tail Lights Rear Lamp GTI R32 from car-style-discount

As these lights come from Germany they are obviously configured for LHD cars with the red fog lamp on the left and the clear reversing light on the right and as such must be swapped over to be legal in the UK. This can be done (I presume) by simply swapping the red and clear lenses with those from some standard UK spec lights or, if you don't have any spare and/or want to preserve your old lights in RHD configuration, by swapping the two lenses over from left to right and vice versa in the Hella lamps.

The latter is the option I chose, partly because I didn't think of trying my original parts before doing it and partly because I expected it to be much simpler than it actually was. This added trickiness is what has led me to create this topic to possibly help out anyone else who comes to do the same thing.

=============================
Step 1: Buy the lights

Step 2: Remove the bulb holders
This is very easy and requires the removal of three screws from each lamp, the silver bulb holder then lifts straight off to reveal the red and clear lenses which we will be swapping.

Step 3: Remove the lenses
Each lens is held in place by three clips but they are surprisingly tight and I felt at risk of snapping them as well as struggling to keep each clip released while working on the other two.
In the end I found that getting a sturdy flat blade in behind one clip as shown allows you to flex it out while simultaneously pushing upwards to prevent it from simply snapping back into place.

Step 4: Modification of the lenses
This is the point where you realise the straight swap doesn't work as the lenses are asymmetrical and do not fit in the opposing side lamp housing. As you can see, the clips do not fully line up and some areas of the collar on the lens foul with the lamp housing.

Using a sharp knife and a small coping saw, I initially removed a small section of the collar and part of one of the clips to allow the lens to fit into the housing and hopefully align all the clips properly.
You can see my cuts here, I removed the material to the right of each cut / saw.
TIP: Don't leave the open housing lying around when trimming the lens so as to avoid getting trimmings inside the light.

This allowed that one clip to line up perfectly but I still found that the others were not quite in line, albeit by a much smaller amount, so I ended up doing the same to each of the three clips.

With sufficient trimming, all clips were now able to line up correctly but unfortunately the lenses do not appear to be perfectly circular. Again, their asymmetric shape proves problematic as the large retaining collar fouled on the wall of the housing to the extent that the lens cannot be fully inserted without being distorted out of shape.
I therefore sanded the collar down until it was able to clear the tapered housing wall and fit into the aperture. TIP: Really don't leave the open housing lying around when sanding the lens!.
This may take some time before it feels like you're actually making a difference but eventually it will fit. I also trimmed a small amount off the top of the clip wedge so that it was able to engage sooner and not need pushing down as hard.

Step 5: Refit the lenses
You should eventually be left with a fairly tight fitting lens and lots of shards of plastic all over your table and carpet.

Step 6: Refit the bulb holders
As easy as the removal, three screws. Now admire your work.

Step 7: Stop admiring your work and get them on the car!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:03:39 am by MikLSP »

Offline Wooosh

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
Re: Hella Dark Red Tail Lights LHD to RHD Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:59:23 am »
Good write up mate, lights look great BTW! :happy2:
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:04:37 am »
Thanks Wooosh  :happy2:

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:57:50 am »
Great guide, the darkened tails looks much more better than the stock one!

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239

Offline Shoy1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 18
Re:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:05 am »
Good write up mate, thanks.

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:19:25 am »
I hadn't actually seen those before, I'd only ever come across the LHD Hellas and standard Edition 30 / R32 parts.
They are expensive though. I paid £170 for my new Hellas, some may still consider that expensive compared to used originals but I'm happy with the quality and colour of mine.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:28:27 pm by MikLSP »

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:43:59 am »
Is it really a legal requirement to move the fog light or just to make wiring / connecting  them up easier?

Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:06 am »
Not sure actually, but I thought the fog had to be on the off-side. Either way, I'd prefer to change the lenses than mess with the wiring.

Offline daedos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 12:06:27 pm »
Awesome. Perfect timing re my post yesterday. Thank you very much.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,82599.0.html

Is it really a legal requirement to move the fog light or just to make wiring / connecting  them up easier? Jas
You are not moving the side the fog is on. This mod stops it glowing white like the reversing light :). And stops your reversing light being red!

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 12:11:35 pm »
Ha, glad to be of assistance  :happy2:

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
Re: Re: Re: Hella Dark Red Tail Lights LHD to RHD Conversion
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 01:34:52 pm »
You are not moving the side the fog is on. This mod stops it glowing white like the reversing light :). And stops your reversing light being red!
I get that, I was wandering if there really is a legal requirement to have the fog light on a certain side.
As already mentioned, if wanted to keep the lights as they are, you could modify the wiring, arguably this may be more involved.... just wandering. ;-)

Good write up though.
Jas :-D

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline daedos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 03:34:53 pm »
Rear fog lamp must be "securely fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle" - MOT Inspection Manual section 1.3

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 12:10:41 pm »
The other option for these are to just use the filter off your original RHD inner light,

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 01:03:22 pm »
Yes, I mentioned that in the first post but some people may wish to keep those in RHD configuration  :happy2: