Make a donation

Author Topic: pre-MOT maintenance  (Read 1221 times)

Offline parkysan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
pre-MOT maintenance
« on: May 02, 2014, 01:07:13 pm »
Have my 06 GTi in the local garage next week to have both outer CV joints replaced as they've been creaking for a while now and the MOT is due next week too  :scared:

I'm also just about to pop to the local stealer and pick up a new high-level brake light and have a go at replacing that this weekend as it's failed (common problem apparently). I'm also taking the opportunity of fitting a rev G diverter valve whilst it's in the shop as my MPG is struggling around 28 mpg even when driven 'carefully'  :innocent:

I've tested  the PCV and this seems OK so I guess my question is whilst it's up on the ramps, what else should I check over given she's done 97k now? Bushes are the most obvious I guess?

I'd also like to thank everyone on this forum for all the great information and tips that have helped me get this far!  :drinking:

cheers

Offline Wooosh

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
Re: pre-MOT maintenance
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 03:09:51 am »
Millions of vehicles fail their MOT due to simple things such as faulty bulbs, too little tyre tread, or even empty windscreen washer fluid bottles. It’s possible to anticipate most of these issues with a quick check of your car as It only takes a minute or two.
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 04:43:04 pm »
There was a PDF of the 2012 MOT check listed as issued by VOSA somewhere on here, but Google 'MOT check list' and tons of stuff comes up. The Auto Trader website usually has a pre-MOT list on there which is handy.

Some age old advice is to clean your car before you go in. This gives the impression you care for your car and may mean they will let something through if its borderline. Just an old myth but worth doing!

One final point, send your car to a local council MOT centre, don't use a garage or main dealer. Every major town has a council run centre for government vehicles, but because they don't carry out repairs, they won't fail something borderline, they will just issue the advisory. Many, many internet articles about this, so also Google that.

Good luck!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline parkysan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
pre-MOT maintenance
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:23:36 pm »
High-level brake light replaced today and had a quick check over car too, nothing obvious jumps out. Fingers crossed for the new CVs, DV and MOT tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline parkysan

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 10:13:46 am »
No wonder I had some terrible noises coming from my steering/suspension:

There was no grease in the CV joint at all, but the weird thing is that the CV boot wasn't split so I've no idea where all the grease went?  :scared:  Nothing an angle grinder didn't solve though..... :happy2:

Anyway, once the CV joint was replaced (along with the rear brake light I did over the weekend) the car passed the MOT with flying colours, albeit with an advisory for the front tyres, but I knew they were close to the limit anyway. Now I need to decide which new tyres to try!

On an additional note, I replaced my GFB DV+ with a Rev G and so far I prefer the way the car drives, and I'm getting way better mpg when I drive 'sensibly'.  I've posted my initial thoughts here :

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,70779.msg858735.html#msg858735