Make a donation

Author Topic: Failed MOT due to braided brake hoses! Problem solved!  (Read 17095 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Just to add an opposing view to that ^^^^^

Those that know what they are looking for will instantly realise that this "major" cracking is purely of the outer sheath which is a decorative element which is not "structural" to the hose at all.

In fact its apparent that its doing its job which is to stop muck/crap/heat getting to the braided part of the line which up until goodridge/Hel started doing PVC coated lines about 3 years ago is all you could buy.

The PVC cover is available in 12 different colours from Barry Boy Corsa Pink through to Honda CTR Neon Green to the more sedate Carbon Effect finish chosen by my good self - Its simply there to keep the braid from corroding and getting mucky.

Bit like having your car vinyl wrapped and then panicking when a bird craps on your roof thinking the paint is going to get damaged......

In terms of length - Beddies HEL Lines mimic OEM exactly apart from an additional 85mm of length which replaces the zigzag hard line that enters the caliper, the lines have not one but two mid line fittings - one for the upright and the other to secure the line in the L shaped bracket that is bolted to the caliper - its secured in exactly the same way the OEM lines are.

Beddies lines from a hydraulic point of view are perfectly serviceable - I'll be having this checked through pressure testing - if you saw the machine that swaged these lines then you wouldn't be worried.

My own oversight has been not supplying the fitting spring that secures the line to the inner wing, causing Beddies tuner to "improvise"

Luckily Mr Bedford in all his wisdom remembered  to send off his warranty card supplied with all HEL hoses back to the factory - this means that he's getting some new ones through HEL's LIFETIME warranty which is quibble free.....

Did everybody else remember to send their warranty card off?

Just to confirm if there is cracking in the PVC sheath then DONT PANIC and CARRY ON its just doing its job, OEM hoses would just be soaking up that heat and going all brittle - I know which ones I'd rather have fitted prior to a ring trip - I'd just be having them fitted properly without tie wraps but with the butterfly springs which weren't flagged as missing on install....

ps they're 30p each   :ashamed:

Stevey boy give me a ring today we'll get BI all revved up

Bloody Geek spoiling all the drama.  :P

Its a Monday so its Gleek night what do you expect except a bit of drama, anyway shuddup baldie   :love:  :wink:

Quick Pic of how the VAG10 hoses supplied by me attach to the caliper, the HEL official R32 hoses are shorter with only one mid line fitting, the VAG10's also have a 150 degree bend to the fitting that enters on the caliper, they're very custom. They also come (normally) with the clips and stainless banjo bolts and copper washers!

They're very secure and dont "flap about" as somebody suggested, these also attach to the strut and share the same path as the OEM hoses

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: Failed MOT due to braided brake hoses! Problem solved!
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 11:11:42 pm »
^^^^^

The fabled kitchen work surface   :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 11:35:53 pm »
Scratched really badly!! Even when the brakes have gone - Im still getting it in the neck every time she makes tea!

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 08:17:51 pm »
Bit of a thread resurrection...

Does anyone have a pic of these clips fitted to the front brake hoses, when fitting braided hoses?

I guess they go above the fixed bracket between the solid brake pipe?

Thanks
Jason

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 10:36:01 am »
Found the answer in Daz_pd's build thread:

However, my line has 2 rubber mouldings. One sits in the bracket on the strut, just behind the caliper, secured by a clip. (pictured towards the left on the picture above).
The other one has no where to go.... Unless on the R32 there is an extra bracket somewhere?

Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)