Make a donation

Author Topic: Driving in Florida  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Re: Driving in Florida
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 07:12:06 pm »
Lucky get!

I'm having a yaris cause I'm under 25  and have to pay an EXTRA $25 a day :mad:
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 07:40:38 pm »
I had a Ford Fiesta. A 4 door one, no less. Still can't complain, cost me £140 all in for 10 days and I never needed to fill it up either. Was running on fumes when I returned it after 10 days in the Keys, though!

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:49 pm »
Warbird adventures is also well worth a visit. Going for a flight in one of their WW2 Texans was amazing, not cheap, but incredible. - www.warbirdadventures.com

Just watch out for 'or similar' when choosing your rental car, We got given this little Toyota that was a bit crappy.

In the process of persuading my girlfriend to let me do this! Haha

I went for the 15min flight, still had time to do a couple of stunts though! Seems like the kind of stuff you'd never get away with over here!

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 11:24:20 pm »
Wow!! That looks amazing!

Yeah, I AM doing that!

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 11:32:14 pm »
Honestly, I felt bad. I went over there to see the last Shuttle launch. I had been looking forward to it for ages, but almost preferred the warbird flight more! As others have said Kennedy SC is great, Hope you have a great trip!

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 11:48:12 pm »
It does look good. Quite expensive like you say but bet its an awesome experience. Don't know how my stomach would cope with the aerobatics  :signLOL:

Just had  alook to see where they are based. Only 20 mins from our hotel.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:49:57 pm by Matto »

Offline SkyJawa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 09:53:49 am »
Don't forget you are legally allowed to turn right on a red light if it is clear to go, or you'll get honked from behind lol!!

Also they are pretty courteous drivers really.  If you approach a non traffic light junction the first car to get there goes first then everyone else goes in turn with when they got there, works really well :)

Offline andypower

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 07:10:12 pm »
you can turn right but if it says you cant, then don't.

there are filter lights going on free-ways too.     also the carpool lanes are amazing.  no one uses them.

when i last went in September last year to Vegas me and the missus drove from Vegas to Malibu.  saved so much time driving through la using the carpool lanes.

Not sure if this will happen but if a school bus is stopped your not aloud to pass it.   law.

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 10:13:03 am »
Just bumping this to see how it went? I'm going June for 3 weeks and have a car for the whole three weeks, 25$ a day extra cause I'm under 25, my rental is with Alamo, just wondering who you went with and how you found it.. Getting a by nervous on the driving side of things cause it's the first time I've driven abroad  :scared: hoping I can upgrade from my "Chevy spark or similar"  though!!

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:38 pm »
Hi Marc. Yeah it went really well actually. The driving isn't as bad as you might think. Just keep your eyes open and give plenty of room for the locals.

Make sure you have plenty of change because depending on where you go there are a lot of toll roads. Either that or you can pay a the end of your rental I believe. I know the Hertz rental car are fitted with a transponder in the window that is activated the first time you go through the pre-paid lanes. Not sure if Alamo have a similar set-up.

Also take note on their fuelling terms and conditions. We got charged, (which was later refunded) for taking it back not completely full. It was literally just off the full line and got charged for a full tank. Luckily I took photos of the dials showing fuel gauge and mileage when collecting the car and dropping it off which I recommend you do.

Other than that we enjoyed getting about a little more. Not sure what you have planned but if you get chance go to Clearwater beach. I'm not a massive beach fan but this place is something else.

Oh and seeing as you asked I though I had best add some pics of the beast  :driver:

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 02:08:47 pm »
Glad you had a good time  :happy2:

I'll take all that on board! I'm gonna take photos of the car before I leave the depot just to cover my back..

We are staying in a hotel on clearwater beach for our final week, I'm looking forward to that more that seeing Mickey Mouse to be honest!! Theres a rocket launch scheduled while we are out there so that is one of my priorities. Other than that it'll just be driving to/from the parks/malls/hotels.

The car looks amazing! How was it to drive?? I'm in the process of trying to convince the girlfriend that we should try our luck upgrading to a mustang if they offer it cheap enough when we are picking our car up!  :laugh:

Thanks!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 02:09:51 pm »
Last year I booked through a company called Auto Europe. They're just a broker, though, and the actual rental was with Alamo. I paid £140 all up inc. all insurances for a 10 day rental. It was a Ford Fiesta that I ended up with, so not too bad to drive.