Make a donation

Author Topic: Playing Golf  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Playing Golf
« on: April 26, 2014, 12:32:33 pm »
Anyone any good?

I'm getting into it a bit as I've finally realised that to hit the ball you have to try not to hit it, which is completely counter-intuitive.

Now all I have to sort out is to make it go in the direction I want and the right distance. Quite a good game though.
'07 Red manual

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: Playing Golf
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 12:48:55 pm »
Not especially, but I'm trying to play at least twice a week this year through the long evenings.

I'm off 17, although I'm one of those who can play between 9-15 with mates in friendlies over 18, come medals or competitions my game goes to pot and I'm lucky if I'm 20 over  :scared: :stupid: :indifferent:

Thought about membership at a local club to pull your game forwards?  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:55:40 pm »
Thought about membership at a local club to pull your game forwards?  :happy2:
How would that help? I just play with the lads from work and sometimes go to the driving range.
'07 Red manual

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:05:19 pm »
Thought about membership at a local club to pull your game forwards?  :happy2:
How would that help? I just play with the lads from work and sometimes go to the driving range.

It would force you to naturally up your game and think about your shot selection more, especially playing in front of others and groups. You add more 'care' because when people are watching, you don't want to hit a poor shot  :laugh:

Also you'll be able to enter medals and other comps. It gives you the perfect opportunity to 'measure' yourself and your game, something playing in friendlies (as I mentioned) doesn't do unfortunately. If my handicap was based on playing in the evenings before a night on the beers, it'd be under half what it actually really is in real competition based scores  :happy2:

Being on the first tee on any course with a small crowd watching (including your playing partners) is always a good test. The shaky knees and jelly hands kick in, so I just go for a 60% swing and hope to hit a clean straight shot down the middle of the fairway. It was a good test for me personally, maybe not yourself - depends how seriously you want to take it and what your aims are for improvements  :smiley:

Competition golf is the only way to properly understand your game I've found though.
Pete

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 01:11:13 pm »
Cheers that's very useful information.

I'm off to the range now to try 'zero-in' my aim :signLOL:
'07 Red manual

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 05:32:41 pm »
Cheers that's very useful information.

I'm off to the range now to try 'zero-in' my aim :signLOL:

I'm not really one to listen to, if you've got any low handicap playing friends - get them to give you some pointers.

I take it quite seriously but enjoy playing too. I cut 3 shots off of my handicap summer before last, but don't find I'm playing enough to trim it any further. That's the aim though. If I ever make single figures, I'll be more than delighted. Bit of a life goal  :wink:

How'd you get on yesterday?
Pete

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 11:20:50 pm »
How'd you get on yesterday?
Not bad actually. Managing to hit it quite well when I get a nice steady (slow) tempo on the swing. It's tricky, but when it comes together it feels wonderfully fluid.
Best of my mates plays off 13 which to me would be a dream!

I'll stick at it and persevere. It's definitely a game you need to keep practicing.
'07 Red manual

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 07:53:14 am »
Many people take up golf and then give up because they don't play enough and practice what they have been taught . Get yourself some lessons , get them off the assistant pro at any club who should be very keen . Then do what they tell you , sounds silly but what they tell you is what you should be doing , many players don't do what they have been taught as they generally get worse initially and as they don't practice they go back to what they were doing before they had the lesson . It is the most difficult game to play and still struggles to attract new players .

Watch other good players very closely , the grip is the most important part , getting that right is the first thing to crack , getting it wrong means the rest of the movements you do will not work correctly .

I know a bit about this game having been under 5 hcp for 35 years (15 - 50) and have been involved in the coaching of several players who have played for England .

The really important thing is to ENJOY IT .

Lastly learn the "Ball flight laws" Google it , see how they effect the flight of the ball , it will help greatly .To quote them to the professional teaching you will seriously impress them and show them you are serious . There are 5 ,  don't listen to the "New" rubbish about NINE , the PGA Coaching manual quotes 5 , who is right , i think the PGA might know a bit about it

( PATH OF THE SWING… FACE POSITION AT IMPACT… SPEED … CENTEREDNESSS (indicating that balls fly differently when struck on the face in places other than the center) … and ANGLE OF APPROACH OR ANGLE OF ATTACK )
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:13:22 am by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 11:10:38 am »
I have been playing once per week for 3 years and am a 14 handicap (Although can play anywhere from 10-20 over).

All good advice, there, would agree that joining a club will help to make you a better player as you learn to "manage the course" and shot selection is key.

Depends on if your a Long Hitter (Blaster) or control player (Finesse), you will know your strengths (Good Driver hitter/Bad Driver etc), good with short irons but not so much with long irons etc.

No point standing on a 350yd par 4 with a driver in your hand and hitting the ball 300 yards if your not very good with a lob wedge, you may as well hit 5 wood and give yourself a 9 Iron into the green if your better with that particular club.

Putting is half of the game, something that is is never practiced at a driving range!, its great if you can get to the green in regulation but not so if you 3 or 4 putt them!

Playing in comps at a club does ramp up the pressure as others have said and no doubt that in any club there will be bandits who only play Scramble or alternate shot games So as not to get their handicap cut (Something which does not happen in our club as to play in the those comps you have to have played the medal rounds!).

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 12:59:34 pm »
I play at Bawtry GC in Doncaster..

I was rubbish but I deliberately hooked up with a group of very low handicappers and my confidence grew and the playing improved no end.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 01:19:01 pm »
Putting is half of the game, something that is is never practiced at a driving range!

^ This  :happy2:

Once you're an accomplished player, anyone at your level can get to the green in two or three. It's putting where your card will be shaped.
Three putting is often a bigger killer than a duffed chip or hooked drive. You can rescue a 4 or 5 with the latter two.

Getting onto the green and down in two shots (a good pitch and a putt) is what keeps your scorecard competitive.

I'm a much better pitcher than I am a putter, I can drop four or five shots in a round from putts that hit the lip or lip out so I'm as bad an offender as any  :ashamed: :sad1:
Pete

Offline WolverineMAc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 02:06:01 pm »
Will read this later
Mk5 Gti Edition 30, Manual, Tornado Red

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »
I am a big user of the "Chip n Run", if I miss a green I'm usually confident of getting it close with an 8 Iron chip n run (In fact I usually hole one of them during a round), If I have an obstacle to go over (Bunker/Pond/Mound etc) I will use my lob wedge  :happy2:

I practice putting for 10-15 minutes before I start my round, and like someone else said my first drive is usually a 3/4 swing until im fully warmed up  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 06:50:39 pm »
I am a big user of the "Chip n Run", if I miss a green I'm usually confident of getting it close with an 8 Iron chip n run (In fact I usually hole one of them during a round), If I have an obstacle to go over (Bunker/Pond/Mound etc) I will use my lob wedge  :happy2:

I practice putting for 10-15 minutes before I start my round, and like someone else said my first drive is usually a 3/4 swing until im fully warmed up  :happy2:

This does indeed work at your links or more interesting type of course.

My clubs course isn't particularly long and going airbourne or lofted with the smaller greens is sometimes wasted, so this works for me too  :happy2:

I daren't go full swing on the first tee as it's bound to be a shank  :rolleye:
Pete