Make a donation

Author Topic: Car Wrapping and the DVLA  (Read 1747 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5fki7d5de6vvvs4ljsd2741qoi&/topic,19740.0.html
Car Wrapping and the DVLA
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:12:41 pm »
http://www.akwraps.co.uk/news/dvla/

Not taking it as 100%... because I cannot seem to find any info on the actual DVLA website, but food for thought.

Rich

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Car Wrapping and the DVLA
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:16:12 pm »
Makes sense, Police see your car on ANPR - says red looks black = instant tug to see what's going on.
Sideways yo!

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:28:42 pm »
Makes sense, Police see your car on ANPR - says red looks black = instant tug to see what's going on.

+1 is there a loop hole there though?

By covering the entire vehicle in a coloured adhesive/vinyl wrap, it is DVLA’s view that the colour change should be recorded.

Black cars leave their roof black and rest of the car white for example. More food for thought...

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5fki7d5de6vvvs4ljsd2741qoi&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:31:34 pm »
That would still end up being a white car with a black roof.... not a black car with white side panels etc.

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:36:09 pm »
I get the purpose of that statement, overall most would agree its a white car but if taken literally some would try to exploit it. Just my opinion of course. Should be clearer like window tints if it comes into existence.

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 12:48:08 am »
I've done all this before...a few years ago I had a E46 M3 in silver,wrapped it in gloss white & told my insurance(£60) increase,but you don't have to tell dvla as it's not permanent colour change...did get pulled over by the police a few times...just show them yr insurance documents with the details on the colour change...I even opened my door to let them see its still silver as I didn't bother doing the door shuts.....

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:51:54 am »
Not convinced personally, but there isn't anything in it for the wrapper either so unsure as to what their motive is. I'll speak to DVLA again, but their opinion last time was pretty much "and?".

And this is of course important:
"The DVLA have recently changed their recommendations for vehicles that have been wrapped and plastidipped....."

@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 06:13:09 pm »
I struggle to work out why people haven't been telling the DVLA anyway? It's simple paperwork that stops you getting in unnecessary bother.

I guess some people just like to walk around with a 'Kick Me' sign on their back.
Sideways yo!

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 06:18:11 pm »
I struggle to work out why people haven't been telling the DVLA anyway? It's simple paperwork that stops you getting in unnecessary bother.

I guess some people just like to walk around with a 'Kick Me' sign on their back.

and then moan on forums about how they are persecuted by the rozzers and should be catching criminals

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 06:20:15 pm »
^^^ thats probably due to after spending over a grand on wrapping the car, they probably think its a rip off to pay insurance admin costs advising of a colour change and a stamp/envelope to update the v5 docs!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 06:20:43 pm »

This.  

For the money people pay for a good quality wrap you'd hope it will be on for at least 12-18 months so for the sake of a form in the post and v5 back a week or so later, everything is legit?

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 02:10:46 am »
My justification is simply it isn't permenant and can change tomorrow should I wish. Yes I could change it, but it's white underneath and questions could be asked the other way.

My car is white, but with a blue wrap. I don't mind being stopped and actively encourage it as I drive a lot at prime crime time. Paint I can understand.

My insurance company don't care and still tell me it's white despite know there USA blue wrap on.

Of course, changing the log book won't do any harm.

@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"