Make a donation

Author Topic: Tell me all about apple laptops - newbe  (Read 2503 times)

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
Tell me all about apple laptops - newbe
« on: May 01, 2014, 12:28:55 pm »
So me daughter tells me she must have an apple laptop for her art/design uni course in sept.
Does she want a 13" MacBook pro (non-retina £850 list, disc drive, hardrive, upgradeable memory?), or 13" MacBook air?
If she gets through college, they will load it up with office, adobe photoshop, some sort of apple educational deal I guess.

Does it need any ant-virus stuff etc etc, only had windows laptops before, all advice gratefully received.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fg4fjqnf7dcjuc151pub1lfsmn&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Tell me all about apple laptops - newbe
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 12:35:10 pm »
So me daughter tells me she must have an apple laptop for her art/design uni course in sept.
Does she want a 13" MacBook pro (non-retina £850 list, disc drive, hardrive, upgradeable memory?), or 13" MacBook air?
If she gets through college, they will load it up with office, adobe photoshop, some sort of apple educational deal I guess.

Does it need any ant-virus stuff etc etc, only had windows laptops before, all advice gratefully received.

You dont need any anti virus software. Chances are it doesnt need to be a Mac either... but they look the part so go with it if you can afford to.  :laugh:

PM me... i can hook you up with a discount. (unless you have already)

Rich

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 02:28:49 pm »

You dont need any anti virus software. Chances are it doesnt need to be a Mac either... but they look the part so go with it if you can afford to.  :laugh:

PM me... i can hook you up with a discount. (unless you have already)

Rich

Hi rich, can u get a discount on apple MacBooks?...thinking of buying one for my misses birthday in Aug..

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 03:07:53 pm »
I also didn't know anything about Apple but EVERYBODY i know who has one just loves them,....

So bought a 13" macBook Air with 256gb Hard Drive (SS) a magic mouse and about a month later bought an optical drive of the bay so fully sorted

Its light, stylish, its the same speed now as the day i bought it, friend has the 2011 version and its no different to mine in terms of slowdown....I can't even imagine how a win doze machine would be after 3 years, Im not a computer expert and don't know how to keep a normal laptop as fast as when i bought it.....

Whilst you're at the Apple Store buy an incase bag for it and you're good to go.....

Oh I also bought Windows 7 to put in a spare partition, when it eventually loads its faster than my mates new singing all dancing HP laptop which is a dedicated Windows laptop, I put W7 on it just in case I needed anything and now avoid using it as every time I try to switch it off it confronts me with 30 security updates coz its Sh1te.....

GO APPLE!

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 03:27:46 pm »
thanks everyone, keep the info coming.....can't find the "thanks" button...
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 04:34:58 pm »
No thanks in the random chat section
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline south

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 05:33:55 pm »
If she's doing art and design (and I'm talking subjectively because I use all the power I can get from mine, I'm a graphic designer) then get a Pro with a SSD, it's even worth getting a slower processor to upgrade to a SSD just checked the apple store and all new ones have ssd as standard... it's also worth noting that you can't upgrade RAM after purchase anymore on a newer macbook pro, which sucks, so max it out.

She can get an educational discount if she's already set up with her university, perhaps even college, email address too (http://store.apple.com/uk/mac/education). If she's digging her heals in about getting a macbook and pennies are tight then a 1-2 year old 2nd hand one is also a solid buy (much like a golf haha), they also tend to have refurbed models up on the apple store which are good value. Failing all that I'm considering selling my 2 year old SSD pro for an upgrade  :wink:

Offline Adam@PureDents

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Tell me all about apple laptops - newbe
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 01:32:52 pm »
Apple also does finance (through Barclays) and the last time I checked there was a 0% deal.

I have a 13" Retina MacBook Pro for university. The fact that I've never taken the charger to university with me is the thing that I love about it. The build quality is definitely worth the money too!

Offline V2 FAN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
  • Porsche 911 inbound
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 02:21:14 pm »
I've been a Mac convert since 2007  :happy2:

The thing I love about the Mac is the quick boot up time, no spyware - adware - viruses or other background activities which tend to slow down the responsiveness of a PC over time.

The keyboard automatically lights up once the room gets dark, it's got all these lovely extras that windows computers simply don't have.

I often take my Mac into work as I get frustrated using Windooooze due to the lag, lengthy updates and particularly the frequent egg timer when working with documents etc. the Mac is so streamlined and perfect in every sense. I still use my MacBook Pro from 2007 and it's still as new and quick as the day I bought it.

You can also use Windows on a Mac should you really want to  :stupid: but it gives you the option as some software is still only available for the Windows platform. But as a student in Art she will find the Mac ideal particularly as a lot of software is free due to open source coding.

I would favour the MacBook Pro over the Air due to inbuilt DVD/CD drive and overall functionality. The Air is more specific for those on the Go.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:23:22 pm by V2 FAN »

Offline sootpig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 02:27:10 pm »
have a look into student discounts on Apple products  iirc VAT free :happy2:

Offline ED30_jason

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 03:36:38 pm »
Definitely get the education discount this in conjunction with 0% deals it's daft not too! I got my mac in the states in a Black Friday deal with forces discount was very happy!!

Edition30-Revo stage1-S3 brakes. Oryx white 3 door DSG R ordered.

Offline arris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 03:43:55 pm »
Anybody know what the rough price for a 15" retina is with educational discount.

I have a 13" macbook pro but is from 2009 so is finally coming to a stage where i should replace it...

Offline ED30_jason

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 03:59:04 pm »
http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Offline ED30_jason

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 03:59:32 pm »
13" retina pro starting at 1033.20

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 11:03:38 pm »
Anybody know what the rough price for a 15" retina is with educational discount.

I have a 13" macbook pro but is from 2009 so is finally coming to a stage where i should replace it...

Depends on the type of Educational discount.

Standard Education discount (School/ College student, parent etc) is ~5-6%
Higher Education discount (University) varies from University to University but is ~12-14%

Higher education online store will only load from a University networked computer, or you can call them and order with your Uni email account/ student card (showing a student card in an Apple store will not get you the HE discount though, just the standard discount). Another bonus of Apple's HE purchases is you get 3 years Applecare warranty thrown in for free as part of Apples contract as a supplier to UK Universities.

I recently bought a new iMac through the HE store.