Make a donation

Author Topic: golf gt tdi. cut out and wont start!  (Read 4208 times)

Offline karl.cee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
golf gt tdi. cut out and wont start!
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:44:11 pm »
the problem came up about a month ago. was on my way home from the fast car show in Santa pod and got all the way to leeds without a problem. was in the fast lane overtaking when the car decided to start juddering and I lost all power. engine died and I got stuck on the hard shoulder without any means of getting it going again.

The car was took to a garage where the car was checked over and put on the computer. there was no fault codes and they couldn't seem to find a problem. they purged the fuel, and it started no bother (thought maybe it just picked up some crap from the tank).

has been going for the past month without a issue.
yesterday I was driving and without warning the car cut out as I was moving, so I decided to jump it since I had enough speed to do so. the car would go aslong as I was accelerating but as soon as I let the throttle off it would die again. came to the point where I had to stop (to drop a pal off) and I had no pace to get the car going again. since then the car has been stuck on the side of the road and wont start. The engine will turn over but wont even try to start. I have had the egr and anti shudder valve off and have cleaned them both right up, so It cannot be them. little bit stuck on what could be causing it.

HELP!  :sad1:

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
Re: golf gt tdi. cut out and wont start!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »
Someone recently had a similar issue, and it was the in tank fuel pump.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline R9OSW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:13:38 pm »
First thing I would do is change the fuel filter.

The cut out side of things could be the fuel pump. Pd engines have 2 a lift pump/fuel sender in the tank and a high pressure tandem pump on the right hand side of the engine under the engine cover.
They can run without a lift pump but not the high pressure one.

Look at these first imo. If you hear slooshing when you turn ignition on thats the intank pump priming the fuel system. If it doesn't do that then its knacked. And the high pressure pump has to pull the diesel through.

Offline karl.cee

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:20:17 pm »
The car was serviced just before the trip to Santa pod so the fuel filter is brand new. there is also diesel in the fuel filter tank so it must be getting fuel to at least that point?

Offline R9OSW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:29:33 pm »
Do you here the slooshing? From tank pump? You'll only here it after its sat for a bit then stick ignition on.

It could be working hence fuel being in filter. But if its not starting then its fuel that could be in there from last time it ran.
I would see if the high pressure pump is working.
Check from engine back to tank and if your getting fuel