Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine Rebuild, Options, Pros and Cons  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Cupra_Jay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Engine Rebuild, Options, Pros and Cons
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:30:16 am »
Hi guys

As some of you may know I had a right grilling for trying to get around someone else fixing my car. I figured it being stock and Ive had the car just about three months, I could go back to the dealer and see if they could fully or partially contribute to the repair bills but anyway.

The car started off with a small misfire. When it happened no one realised but me ( mates thought it was my imagination) which happened not last Sunday the sunday before (27-04-2014). It felt more like a hiccup but even so I was little concerned. Following I took it to mates to get plugged on the VAGCOM to see whats happening out of curiosity as I was told you can still scan the car for problems without warning lights popping up. It came up with misfire from cylinder 2 and cylinder 4. I assumed it was down to dead plugs as it was due round about 2000 miles previous. I got the misfire cleared and it didn't come back again as I drove it home. I booked a service in for the Friday evening for after work. Bare in mind I don't drive my car to work during the week as I commute on the oyster card ( before I get told off again) and didn't plan to touch my car till then.

Wednesday came and there was the first frept meet. I thought lets have a look and it was a good turnout. Fast forwarding to on the way home as you do from most meets you your pals maybe some randoms will have a little boot. I knew my car wasn't 100% so I let  the turbo spool up just as we were pulling off the motorway which was the first exit after getting on to it and THEN the lil hiccup came back again. I let off completely and allowed my mates to carrying on ( don't wanna ruin their fun). As I crawled home BIG hiccup happened I felt a great loss of power. The EM light started flashing going bananas.

Almost had a heart attack watching it do that so I pulled to the side of the road and the car sounded like an old banger that was being started up on a ice cold morning.

I crawled home probably doing 15-20mph. Took me an hour to get home. Left the car alone thinking the worst ( not as bad as needing a new engine)

Friday came and had some spark plugs and coil packs sent to the garage before I even left. We changed coil packs first it wasn't those. So as you do we assumed it would be plugs. cylinder 1 changed. but when we got to cylinder 2 it was then that we realised that something definitely wasn't right. Spark plug had broken and melted away as it was completely burnt. We proceeded to changing the rest anyway and started the car up. Exact same misfire but when we scanned it this time the misfire only came from cylinder 2. So I guess I coulda have been right in saying it need plugs changed in the first place ( shoulda just hitched a ride to FREPT :sad1: ) Did the coil pack test again anyway and it was still the same. ( was pointless doing the test again right). So we tried looking inside through the lil hole to see if we might see the broken part of the plug and no joy.

Next off we did a compression test. cylinder 1, 3 & 4 averaged at 150psi. and cylinder 2 was at 5psi and pushed that much out because we sealed it with oil.

At this point the diagnosis was that piston was cracked or melted but we will never know until we actually open the head ( currently looking for someone to open the head to see the actual damage, My mates that helped me look at my car they deal with Volkswagen engines but the most they've done on TFSI is service and maintenance so I'm not too comfortable for them to go all frankenstein on my car despite my block/head being in the graveyard)

NOW TO THE ACTUAL QUESTION ( hope  I haven't wasted your time too much)

Now I'm thinking worst case scenario , Replacement Engine, Engine rebuild or engine rebuild with forged internals

Ive come from a Corsa 1.8sri as my first to a bright Yellow Seat Leon Cupra TFSI. Im still learning as I go about the mechanics of a car so before anyone decides to grill me just know I'm a little uneducated in this department  :signLOL: .

So Ive looked around for reconditioned engines/ engines out of salvaged cars that share the same or similar engine and I be looking at anything between 1200- 1800. I been on engine websites, ebay, seen nothing on here and a spares garage

I went to the bmw vs mercedes meet on Monday ( in my mates car lol) I spoke to this dude with a fro in a bagged Leon. Some may know who I'm on about lol . He recommended that with the money I'm going to spend on buying a new engine I may as well top up and get forged pistons and rods. Again I know jacksh*t about the mechanics of a car so I would also need to have someone carry out the work for me. That same birdie also told me that parts and labour included I would be looking at 2500. Im not looking to go big turbo no time soon it hasn't even been a thought till this was brought up .

So my question is could I have potentially damaged something else in the event piston is cracked or melted or maybe the piston wall ?

Aside from forged pistons and rods what else would I need for an engine rebuild?

What sort of compression changes would I need to make in the event that I do go big turbo for example GT28 or GT30 ?

Is there anything else I may need to consider ?

Jamie

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Engine Rebuild, Options, Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:43 pm »
From my experience in this situation you are best contacting one the many good tuners out there (alex aks, rtech and such)

Have a conversation about where you are and want to go.

Then get your car to them.

They have all the knowledge and all the experience on this engine and they have sorted out the last 2 engine disasters i have seen on this forum. The last few people however spent cash elsewhere first thinking it would be the cheaper option. That money was wasted.

Personally I wouldn't look at forged or anything until the engine is open and a cost is put forward, then your tuner will be best placed to answer questions on compression and such.

Offline Cupra_Jay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:40:15 pm »
From my experience in this situation you are best contacting one the many good tuners out there (alex aks, rtech and such)

Have a conversation about where you are and want to go.

Then get your car to them.

They have all the knowledge and all the experience on this engine and they have sorted out the last 2 engine disasters i have seen on this forum. The last few people however spent cash elsewhere first thinking it would be the cheaper option. That money was wasted.

Personally I wouldn't look at forged or anything until the engine is open and a cost is put forward, then your tuner will be best placed to answer questions on compression and such.

Yeah Niki did say to talk to Alex at AKS tuning along with a mate of mine . I wanted to get a lil info from users here too and also to see what others would do if they were in my shoes.

What were the last engine disasters if you don't mind me asking ?

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:51:34 pm »
I got quoted £2600 for an engine swap, AXX (K03) to a CDL (K04)  The cost included all hardware and labour but not a remap.  This was from a recommended independent on here.  You should be looking at around £3K all in including map and have a bullet proof KO4 engine to tune at a later date (if you want)

Strip down your existing one and replace parts may well cost you that alone in labour.

With an engine transplant you could always sell some of your old engine parts on and get some money back.  

Hope this helps  :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:59:15 pm by bigmig95 »

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:52:31 pm »
Some guy (sammy  :scared: ) Drove his car with a full k04 conversion but no map...something went pop and faffed around for a bit then took it to r tech i think it was who got him up and running again.

Cant remember the other guys name...he ended up with something flying round his engine which destroyed it  :grin: think he took it apart himself...that didnt end well.

Oh I understand about wanting to know what others would do  :happy2:

I have been in many a difficult place and got some sound advice from here...just wish id followed all of it  :grin:

Offline Cupra_Jay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 02:01:57 pm »
I got quoted £2600 for an engine swap, AXX (K03) to a CDL (K04)  The cost included all hardware and labour but not a remap.  This was from a recommended independent on here.  You should be looking at around £3K all in including map and have a bullet proof KO4 engine to tune at a later date (if you want)

Strip down your existing one and replace parts may well cost you that alone in labour.

With an engine transplant you could always sell some of your old engine parts on and get some money back.  

Hope this helps  :happy2:

Really id probably wanna leave some bits and bobs for spares. Only had the car three months and paying just over 7k for it you might understand how skint I am at the moment lol . By the looks of things Ill probably end up spending more money than I expect by forging because one pistons and rods are done I may as well look in to RS4 injectors and the return valve too. My mates say if I'm going to forge it may as well go big turbo. I don't think I wanna go that far as of yet. Maybe in a couple years  Probably won't hurt to make it garret turbo ready though.

Some guy (sammy  :scared: ) Drove his car with a full k04 conversion but no map...something went pop and faffed around for a bit then took it to r tech i think it was who got him up and running again.

Cant remember the other guys name...he ended up with something flying round his engine which destroyed it  :grin: think he took it apart himself...that didnt end well.

Oh I understand about wanting to know what others would do  :happy2:

I have been in many a difficult place and got some sound advice from here...just wish id followed all of it  :grin:

I think I've read a thread of a niki sorting out someones ko4 conversion. Thankfully its my day off today I may as well look for the thread

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 02:13:17 pm »
ring this number and speak to alex he is a very helpful chap 01234 822 324

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 02:23:16 pm »

Another vote for AKS.   :happy2:

PM Alex Parris he just has an engine transplant at AKS too

Offline Cupra_Jay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 02:54:55 pm »

Already emailed him this morning I don't wanna be a pest and ring him too. I gotta bit of speech problem so id probably sound like a nob on the phone anyway lol.

Thanks guys, hopefully he'll get back to me in the morning if it aint too hectic in his workshop as I can get the car to him no problem its just price of doing the work I'm worried about mostly