Make a donation

Author Topic: VW in the blood...!  (Read 1290 times)

Offline heygee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
VW in the blood...!
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:13:13 pm »
Hi All,

New to MK5GolfGTI but Golf's have been in my blood since before I passed my test many moons ago. I have owned GTI's from MK1 to MK5, which I currently have, and joined for some advice and pointers. My car has a few minor problems and wanted to look around for answers on how I can resolve them just to bring back that tiny bit of joy missing from when I am behind the wheel. I thought I would list them here in case someone knows an answer or if they can point me in the right direction.

1) Rear parking sensors stopped working a few months ago and now just get a flat beep without anything in the way. When the beep stops it doesn’t respond to any objects.
2) Interior main light switch not working correctly. The 3 position rocker switch just moves between all position without clicking and therefore doesn’t always work when opening the door. Been told by the stealership that I need a complete light unit which I thought was excessive. Can this switch be opened and repaired or replaced without replacing the whole unit?
3) Ashtray with a mind of its own! I recently quit smoking before buying the car, but every time I drive the ashtray lid pops open (doesn't help me take my mind off not smoking!!! :ashamed:) and wondered if anyone else has experienced this or knows a remedy?

Sorry in advance if my queries are posted in the wrong area, so please done shoot me down too quickly  :innocent:

TIA,
Gee

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: VW in the blood...!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:24:32 pm »
Welcome on board.

eBay for the overhead light unit, wouldn't bother trying to change the switch.

I've a complete ashtray unit kicking about in the garage (somewhere) which you can have for the price of postage. Just needs the lid top (the lid a 2 piece lid with tge bottom part being the mech' part) as that's all I needed from it, just take yours off and swap over and you'll have a perfect working lid. 5 min job to swap over the ashtrays etc. There's even a guide on here re changing it over, it the Giude section obviously.

If your interested, get your post count up to 10 so your cam PM and pop me one.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:45:44 pm by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline heygee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:11:41 pm »
Many thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated  :happy2:
I will take a look around for those parts and maybe contact you about the ashtray for sure. Just need to get the rear parking sensor sorted now as thats my main pain... seeing the missus leave with my P&J without that working is giving me more grey hairs!  :surprised:

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:47:00 pm »
Find someone with VCDS near you to scan the car for faults as without this its virtually impossible to find the problem with the sensors
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline heygee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 08:35:59 am »
Many thanks for that. I have seen one person local to me (Leicester) but I can't PM yet so will pop him a note once I can. I was thinking of taking the back bumper off to remove each sensor one at a time to find the problem one and wondered if they were easy to get to if only the bottom trim was removed. Might see if I can try this first.

Offline heygee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 08:37:38 am »
Forgot to mention, I have a OBDII and that doesnt show anything faulty. Maybe not as advanced as VCDS

Offline Wooosh

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 09:12:23 am »
Welcome mate, good luck fixing your current issues & :worthless:
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 03:23:23 pm »
My front interior  light was faulty too. was burnt out slightly so I just bodged it to work on the door open position only. You can open the unit up quite well to try find a fault, it's a fairly simple board to figure out  :happy2:

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline heygee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 03:55:45 pm »
I was thinking of opening it up and tinkering with the switch to see if I could figure out how to get it working. With 2 young kids sometimes your priorities don't match theirs!!

So, as requested I have taken a pic of the car (yet to be cleaned and polished due to the point above!) but not sure how to upload it  :ashamed: I see the insert image icon but it doesnt show me where to search on my drive. If someone could educate me here that would be appreciated.... but here is the spec to start with:
Heated leather seats, cruise control, dual climate, sat nav, rear parking sensors (to be fixed!), headlamp washer jets, multi function steering, 6 disc changer (I disconnected the iPod connection as I am old skool!), auto lights, wipers and dimming rear mirror, anthracite powder coated 18” alloys

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 04:39:42 pm »
I was thinking of opening it up and tinkering with the switch to see if I could figure out how to get it working. With 2 young kids sometimes your priorities don't match theirs!!

I know that feeling, a lot of my work on the car gets done on my lunch break  :laugh:

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline heygee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 05:01:05 pm »
Here she is:

:driver: